Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi, I'm new here but felt the need to find support after we got my son's IQ test back. His IQ basically puts him well above the genius level. And honestly, as amazing as that is its also quite scary. I can't talk to most of my friends as they are parents at his school and I don't want to "make them feel bad" or make them feel like I am bragging.

I am shocked and scared and surprised and feel the need to learn as much as I can about how to help my son "be all that he can be." He has MAJOR perfectionism issues and that's why we had him tested; because we weren't sure if he had a learning disability due to his meltdowns with writing.

Anyway, I feel the need to connect with others who know how this feels and would love feedback on where to start (not just within this forum but overall)!

Thanks!

Welcome! We all know how it feels to get those numbers and be in shock at how high they are. Rest assured, you have found the right place.
    How old is your son? You may want to look into applying for him to be a Davidson Young Scholar. They provide free educational resources and support as well as general support for the parents.

M
    M
    welcome here smile looking forward to getting to know you and hear about your family as you chat with us smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Welcome! You will find great support here. I felt anxious (and honestly, kind of ill) for days after finding out our son is PG. It is a normal reaction. My advise is to take it all day by day. You can't think too far in advance with these kids. Even after finding an academic setting that works, before you know it, it won't work again.... It is an ongoing process.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

C
    C
    Welcome!

A
    A
    Hi and welcome! I'm sure you'll learn a lot just browsing the forum and seeing what others are experiencing. It's good to have a safe place to talk about extraordinary kids.

I got my DD's test results in email mid-morning at work one day, freaked out upon reading them, and spent the rest of the morning crying in a conference room because I felt so guilty for having ever doubted her and for not having advocated harder for her in the past. Now I have just settled in at my regular level of fury at the school district for continuing to be mostly useless to her.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by acherishedlife
    MAJOR perfectionism... would love feedback on where to start (not just within this forum but overall)!
    Welcome!

Two books which seem to understand perfectionism very well and which many find supportive are What To Do When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough and Perfectionism: What's Bad About Being Too Good. While insightful, these are written gently for kids, in a style that is fun and engaging. Some parents pre-read books before giving them to their children, others prefer to read/discuss together with their children.

You may wish to read all you can about advocacy, meetings, and also wrightslaw if there may be any learning disability (in which case your child would be "twice exceptional" or 2e for short). Forum life is easier if you learn common abbreviations and acronyms.

You may wish to check the following websites frequently:
    - Hoagies Gifted Education page (also on FB)
    - Davidson Institute for Talent Development (DITD), especially the Davidson database
    - Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG)
    - National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) and your state affiliate
    - Great Potential Press
    - Prufrock Press
    - free spirit publishing
    - Royal Fireworks Press
    - Magination Press

The book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children is another great place to begin equipping yourself for your journey in raising your gifted child.

When encountering teachers or administrators unfamiliar with gifted issues, you may wish to recommend the Davidson Educator's Guild.

C
    C
    Perfectionism and writing meltdowns for a gifted kid is all too familiar.

Here is a helpful article about it.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10310.aspx

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader