Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #189991 05/02/14 12:57 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Well, I had a feeling this would happen. If you remember, I posted about this a few months back when I realized that DS was not being instructed on his reading level (but under it) because no other the children in the class are at his level. Well, I left well enough alone and he's been complaining lately he is very frustrated in reading group because even though he is in the highest group the kids inn his group are struggling with words that he finds easy. Like the word "resources." And he says he already knows all of the vocabulary words and it's frustrating and boring for him to sit through the others struggling with it. So, today he got in a bunch of trouble about "calling out"(he was calling out the words that the person reading out loud couldn't read for her) and calling out the meaning to the vocab words. I guess it is too late now to do anything about the reading group as there are only what 6 weeks left? But still frustrating. They want to punish him for this behavior, which I find so ironic since they obviously set this situation up by not putting him somewhere more appropriate.

Irena #189995 05/02/14 01:16 PM
    K
    K
    Irena, how old is your DS? My DS6 is having the same issue in his group. He calls out and is reprimanded for it. He's pulled out with the highest kids in his grade too. I'm sorry that I'm not offering advice but I do understand the frustration.

Irena #189998 05/02/14 01:51 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks KTPie! He's 8 and in second grade. I love how we must adhere to the "just right independent level!" (vomit) But they do not have to adhere to the "instructional level" when instructing.

Irena #190291 05/06/14 02:21 PM
    B
    B
    DS's teacher told me she pulls him separately at times to work with him on advanced level concepts that the other kids don't get, but I have no idea where she finds the time for this. DS still does participate in the reading group. I think that acceleration to another grade for reading is probably the only solution, if there are no other kids at a similar level.

DD is in third grade and they didn't do reading groups at all for most of the year. The teacher taught the whole class the same 3rd grade reading curriculum. DD's solution was to go into a coma and space out. Not sure if that is better or worse than calling out answers.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations