Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #190016 05/02/14 07:40 PM
    H
    hnz1979 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Today our 504 meeting ended with the accommodations of headphones as needed, extra testing time if needed, chill out breaks, clear instruction and social stories for next year.
    The teacher says our ds is last to hang up his coat etc. he is doing great on finishing his work at a good pace even rapidly. Concentration is fairly good. It's hard to tell but I think the extremely busy, crowded room and sensory info is causing the most problem. Hoping based on the info I provided the next classroom will be more minimal. I handed out about 50 pages of info on heavy work activities, sensory processing issues, and gifted characteristics in combo/contrast with ADHD characteristics.

A friend in the district encouraged me to keep an open mind. That the teachers want to help but are overwhelmed with huge class sizes.

I often feel like our ds has no chance at long term happy social relationships. I actually feel since we started kindergarten the social skills have regressed. Even as a parent his disposition and anger/frustration at times can be challenging. His impatience for want to interupt and not wait his turn. And his moods can change so rapidly. I know hunger plays an issue but the kid is sooooo intense.

I think his frustration and anger is worse this year because he feels less understood. He recognizes he doesn't have many friends. He recognizes he doesn't fit in. However he can't see that his poor social choices are somewhat to blame. And instead of the teachers trying to help mend the poor social interactions and stepping in to advise he is encouraged to stay away from certain groups, making him further segregated and giving him less practice on working through the issues. I know she means well, and that the other kids think our ds is mean. And from the outside I can understand that perception. I always thought kids like our ds were mean before I had him. Now I understand his poor judgement and his impairment in empathy and understanding social rules.

I just know so many individuals with ADHD that have carried that anger/tell at everyone attitude into adulthood and it isn't pretty. Praying maturity helps.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by hnz1979
    Today our 504 meeting ended with the accommodations of headphones as needed, extra testing time if needed, chill out breaks, clear instruction and social stories for next year.

That all sounds useful.

Only you can tell whether you want to press for direct instruction in social skills to be delivered by the school. In your shoes, I would absolutely consider pushing for it.

The teacher says our ds is last to hang up his coat etc.

Some kids do well with a small checklist of "to-dos" when entering/leaving the classroom.

A friend in the district encouraged me to keep an open mind. That the teachers want to help but are overwhelmed with huge class sizes.

Or they do not completely understand the nature of the challenges your DS faces.

I often feel like our ds has no chance at long term happy social relationships. I actually feel since we started kindergarten the social skills have regressed.

Or other kids matured around him. We had this with DS11, and it was really painful to watch. He'd make great developmental leaps, and yet the other kids would leap still further.

Even as a parent his disposition and anger/frustration at times can be challenging. His impatience for want to interupt and not wait his turn. And his moods can change so rapidly.

I recall your DS doesn't have an ASD diagnosis, but this is all very reminiscent of my DS11, who does.

There are ways of working on building these skills. You may want to read up on ABA therapy and see if it seems appropriate. Many of the principles can be implemented at home by parents, though we found it very useful to have a therapist (BCBA) directing our program.

And instead of the teachers trying to help mend the poor social interactions and stepping in to advise he is encouraged to stay away from certain groups, making him further segregated and giving him less practice on working through the issues.

That's a problem. I'd be inclined to have the school write a behavior plan (to attach to the 504) that specifies (a) what school staff are required to do to prep DS in advance for challenging situations and (b) how they are to debrief him if he messes up. He needs to be told in the immediate aftermath what he did wrong and given the words to use that will work next time, as well as how to make amends and apologize properly. These skills are teachable and very important.

They could also be working with scripts to build up a repertoire of acceptable things to say or do when he's frustrated.

I know she means well, and that the other kids think our ds is mean.

One reason I would want school to be handling this better is that kids can learn to understand your DS's social needs, because they will model on the teachers-- but if the teachers just want him away from everyone, the students will want that too. I find that unacceptable.

HTH, hang in there,
    DeeDee

N
    N
    Everything DeeDee just said. All of that is so true for our DS11 (also with ASD diagnosis).

And maturity does help, but I don't think it would have helped a lot without all the social skills assistance we got from the school. It sounds like you're on the right track, but you'll have to keep at them.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations