Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Both my kids are good at math. They did for awhile Singapore math workbooks after school. At one point, I remember that my younger son was in kindy or first grade, and although he is a very good reader, he had trouble reading the math questions in the Singapore math book well enough to understand them to do.
    We abandoned that for awhile until his reading improved enough to understand the questions.
    Your child is only 5, which is very young. If you can instill in him a love of reading, that is probably all you need at this early point.

Thank you. At least we read a ton around here. I hope he learns to love it. Most of the books he picks are superhero fluff though wink I check out Newbury and other award winners for some good variety.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    We afterschooled because there were no other options where we lived. I hated it as an option because I strongly believe kids should spend a significant portion of time in unstructured play, which we had to steal from to actually teach our child. School took a massive six hour chunk out of the day which was not only pointless, but caused stress (boredom is very stressful) and that spilled over into our home life. There was also so little physical activity at school that there was no way we could afterschool on weekdays.

Had we not been able to move, I think we would have tried me going back to work and hiring a tutor to homeschool. School was worse than neutral for us.

This is my concern, spending so much time in school but needing to "do school" afterwards. Why not just homeschool? It's still an option but a likely small percentage chance at this time because of our specific situation. I also try to focus on unstructured play after school, so we have no extra activities besides what we do together.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    M
    M
    When DS was still in public K, I tried to do some afterschooling with him but I felt like I was punishing him for something that wasn't his fault. Why make him do school at school and then again when he gets home just so he can have that level of education he needs? I do keep track of where public school is at and now that he's homeschooled we only spend about 30 - 60 minutes / day with school activity and he's still where he should be for the most part. Except for writing. I completely pulled back on writing knowing his fine motor skills were really behind and he spends a lot of time during the day just drawing freehand. Anything he wants. He needed that extra time to learn to use the pencil properly. He's now on his own starting to do a little bit of writing here and there without any prompting from us smile

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    We didn't afterschool at all with respect to academics in early elementary. I was frustrated (personally) that ds wasn't given challenging work at school, but at the same time I didn't feel any need to teach academics at home either.

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I'll respond in a few posts as I don't know how to do multi-quotes. blush

I think this is one focus we can do. We do read a lot, and I can read things that are fun, educational, or both, instead of making DS do extra work or anything like that. He loves science, so science kits are a super fun thing for us, plus Legos. We read Magic School Bus, Max Axiom, etc. And for me they are enjoyable too.

OP Offline
    I went back and re-read a few of your earlier posts, because I was confused by what was going on here re reading in your ds' class - but I think I understand after looking back at your earlier posts. I agree with you that the method they are using to teach reading might be incredibly frustrating for a lot of children. I wonder if part of the issue here isn't simply this year's teacher and her approach to teaching/testing etc? Whether it's just this one teacher or an issue with the school system you're in, I imagine your ds is extremely frustrated at this point, so honestly, If it were my ds I'd probably *not* worry about afterschooling, other than what I absolutely had to do to appease the school and make sure he wasn't held back for a year (which I only mention because it was mentioned in your earlier post).

They use the Accelerated Reader program. IDK if the teacher is also a cause of concern, but the program itself I really am starting to loathe. I think it's a school-wide reading program for them, however, and it is a curriculum. Sorry my posts have been disjointed, but you do have the right synopsis. I didn't want to overload one topic with all our history so I left out (too?) much.

OP Offline
    One question I have - when you mentioned you feel that your ds' K class is reading on a 1+ grade level - does that mean early first grade level or end of first grade level or 2nd grade level? I think how much focus I put on spending time trying to help my child read at home would depend on where that bar is - because honestly, the difference between close-to-end-of-K and 1st-grade-beginning-of-the-year isn't much, and you might find that if you just left your ds alone he would get there on his own over the summer.

That's a good question. I'm not an educator so I don't know what is expected of a K at the end of K. I think they are already in mid to late first grade work, but I know the expectations have changed all over with the core curriculum. All my prior experience is with my own childhood, and we only needed to know the alphabet at the end of K. The accelerated reader program is on levels, and they need to read level 4 with a 94% pass rate to get a satisfactory in reading. A recent level 4 book had words that included: Roger, asleep, hide, coat, boots, woke, where, here, they, look, sea, pirate, down, jolly, we, said, are, plus CVC short vowel words, plus consonant blends (sh, th, ch).

OP Offline
    If it seems like your ds is continuing to struggle with learning to read, I'd also consider that it may be something going on that hasn't shown up on testing yet due to age or compensating with is other abilities. One of my children did struggle to learn to read and it took quite a few years (into 4th grade) before we really understood what was going on with her reading challenge. Once we did, it was *much* easier to find a program that worked to help her develop fluency etc. When I tried helping her on my own, pre-diagnosis, nothing ever really clicked. I realize (from reading the earlier posts) that you've already had your ds tested with a psych eval, but also think you noted that there was dyslexia in your family, so just wanted to throw it out there that it might be too early to really tease out if there is truly a reading challenge or not.

His reading is improving quickly, but I'm not excluding any LD as of yet. I know his age can make diagnosis difficult and something may show up later that is now not present (officially).

M
    M
    BTW, I do not think that we will be HS our son all through the high school. He's too much of a social butterfly who actually likes the idea of school. We are just trying to bridge the early elementary years where we're dealing with uneven development, our personal issues with common core (not taking into account normal development of little children), no differentiation at school where needed, plus health issues on top of it. For now the plan is maybe around 3rd grade we might be ready to give it another shot.

Last edited by Mk13; 05/03/14 01:20 PM.
    OP Offline
    I'd try to remember life is not a race. Try to remember that some of the after-schooling and subject acceleration etc that you read about on these forums is happening because the *child* is chasing it, not the parent. When we did afterschool, it was child-led. If our children had not been happy about it or eager to do it, or if they resisted, I would not have pursued it at all.

I also suspect that if my children had been in the type of school environment you've described, with a ton of focus on levels and testing, they would have been stressed out by school and wouldn't have wanted to afterschool, even if it was completely different and fun etc. When they were in K-1 they came home from their mostly non-stressful school situations tired and hungry every day and really needed a break. Now that they are older and have their own goals, they do some of their own after-schooling after finishing their homework at night... but they still need that after-school break. The difference now that they are older and self-motivated to do the after-schooling is that they will return to it and happily do it. When they were little, once they'd come home from school and had their much-needed after-school break, it was a lot tougher to expect to get them back onto an academic task.

So I suppose my advice is, if your ds is resisting, give the academics a break for now and find some fun activities that he enjoys that may spur his imagination. Continue helping him with reading if it's absolutely necessary for school, but if not, consider giving him a break and just reading to him through the end of the school year and early summer, then see where he's at developmentally re being ready to really learn how to read.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Thank you for this insight. I'm leaning more toward just catching up DS over the summer to be a stronger reader/writer and make up for lack of phonics in school, and then letting afterschooling be geared toward fun science projects and games that are educational.

L
    L
    Displaced, is that Dra level 4? Our public school also requires children to read at Dra level 4, and some even level 6 by the end of k. I don't know if this is a result of common core standards but it does seem like a little much at kindergarten level. Re: after schooling, is partial homeschooling an option for you? I keep dd4.5 home one day a week and she has a lot of fun and learns a ton in that one day. I agree with polarbear's advice here ( she always has such detailed and helpful answers, thanks pb).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM