Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    my post won't actually be of any help (sorry) but my daughter is a lot younger, only 6, and has recently been diagnosed with a word finding difficulty. It affects her reading and writing as well as her speech. They aren't sure if there isn't something else language wise going on too but she is so young and as she is so bright she is hiding everything well.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    It's hard because many teachers and adults who don't know him well see it as defiance. That I'm not being hard enough on him and if he was just motivated enough, or didn't spend as much time on computer games he would buckle down and get it done. But if you know him and work with it's obvious he isn't trying to be defiant.

This won't help much at all, but I just wanted to let you know I totally understand - this happened with our ds and his teachers too. I think it's really a good thing that you have a teacher this year who agrees there's something up, and that she's suggesting a team meeting. Even though by the time you've met there isn't going to be much of this school year left, you'll have a team approach started and in the works, rather than having to start at square one next year, where you might not have a teacher who sees the problem.

Sending you tons of good wishes,

polarbear

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    It's hard because many teachers and adults who don't know him well see it as defiance. That I'm not being hard enough on him and if he was just motivated enough, or didn't spend as much time on computer games he would buckle down and get it done. But if you know him and work with it's obvious he isn't trying to be defiant.

This won't help much at all, but I just wanted to let you know I totally understand - this happened with our ds and his teachers too. I think it's really a good thing that you have a teacher this year who agrees there's something up, and that she's suggesting a team meeting. Even though by the time you've met there isn't going to be much of this school year left, you'll have a team approach started and in the works, rather than having to start at square one next year, where you might not have a teacher who sees the problem.

Sending you tons of good wishes,

polarbear
    Thanks. Part of why I post is just to get some sympathy/empathy. Because of just this issue it's hard to talk about with my friends since they just see him as being lazy.

My daughter had this same teacher her senior year and LOVED her. I am not sure how much she knew of my daughters challenges, because the school insisted on graduating her from her IEP at the end of junior year. My son likes her as well and has felt comfortable enough with her to ask for help on multiple occasions. He managed to stay with the same teacher when he dropped levels at semester break, seems we sacrificed Spanish instead.

We still have 6 more weeks of classes, then 3 days finals. We just got 3rd quarter grades. We run almost to the end of June. I am hoping that this will result in a good conversation as to the right level & right teachers for next years classes. My son is one of those kids whom the teacher & their grading style really matter.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/02/14 02:32 PM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM