Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #189445 04/25/14 05:24 PM
    P
    Portia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I am not sure where this should go.

DS7 does not like to read. At all. He CAN read well above his grade (1st).

Should I be concerned? He has never been a big reader on his own. Although he will sit for hours if I read to him.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Portia; 10/21/17 04:49 PM.
    D
    D
    Our DS11 with ASD is not a huge book-lover. Very (very!) capable, but always prefers nonfiction, preferably things with accompanying diagrams, and picking up a book is not his first choice of how to spend free time.

We have gone for high-interest stuff, and indulged the interest in diagrams and images. Lots and lots of science textbooks at all levels in our house. Atlases, books with historical timelines, National Geographic and Discover and Muse magazines, all sorts of things where the images were so compelling or funny that the captions would also be read. D'Aulaire's myths. Asterix comics. Calvin and Hobbes. Pokemon books. DK "illustrated history of this or that" books.

At age 7, it was probably Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants (ugh-- but he read them).

The Horrible Science series are still much loved here, as are all kinds of graphic novels. There are some very good ones about mythology out there. He also did like the "Wrinkle in Time" series, and Harry Potter, and the Rick Riordan books-- it just has to catch him the right way at the right time for him to be interested.

Incidentally, DH was not an avid reader until his 20s but that has not hindered him. Perhaps some people just get there later...

J
    J
    My third grader doesn't like to read. He IS reading a bunch of Minecraft novels I bought online- he devours them. Maybe you just really have to work with him to find SOMETHING that he will read.

L
    L
    You know, I know that there are exceptions (and I've read about them with interest on this list), but I've really started to wonder if the reading behavior of the typical bright boy just differs from the reading behavior of a bright girl. I recently had a discussion with a mom of a boy a couple of years older, who has a son in the G&T program at school. She remarked that before he was "identified" in 3rd grade, her son seldom read, and had perhaps never finished a chapter book on his own. I was VERY surprised. For what it is worth, boys seem to be "identified" at a rate of 3 for every 1 girl in DD's school, too. It did start me thinking, though - is it common for bright boys to just have very different reading behavior than bright girls (and I do realize that "bookworm" boys exist, too)?

DD is a bookworm. It is probably not fair for me to compare DS to her (but I do, and then I worry). My DH is VERY bright, but I don't think HE was ever a bookworm. I've started to relax a bit with DS's NOT being exactly like his sister in his reading behavior because I think I've started to believe that at least some bright boys (maybe many) DO have different reading habits than a book-loving bright girl. Still, I do try to sneak in those "high interest" books that might get him reading and it sometimes works...

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Portia
    He said when the letters get smaller (as advance text tends to be), they get blurry and he can't see them. It sounds like maybe his eyes aren't working together at that level as his acuity is nearly perfect. Maybe it is time for me to schedule a vision follow up.

If he's saying that, I think absolutely the vision is a good place to check!

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Thanks so much DeeDee and Jack'smom. I'll try not to worry as much about it and keep looking for different genres to expose him. Maybe something will catch.

I asked him why he doesn't really like to read. He said when the letters get smaller (as advance text tends to be), they get blurry and he can't see them. It sounds like maybe his eyes aren't working together at that level as his acuity is nearly perfect. Maybe it is time for me to schedule a vision follow up.
    Have you thought about trying some sort of e-reader with him? One of the nice advantages to e-readers is the ability to change the size of the font making it a lot easier for people who have a problem with tiny font. And yes schedule a vision follow up it could well be a vision problem.

Z
    Z
    Also, with many ereaders, they can be switched to a computer voice doing the reading. Some adaptation of font size and switchng to audio as needed might be a good accessibility balance for him. Also, for books, in addition to size, I find serif fonts much easier to track in large text blocks. Is he using a place finder when he reads? (like a card just below his current line)

D
    D
    On audio with text: this book went over very well with DS. Unabridged audio CD came with the book, and the text is reasonably well spaced on the page if I remember right.

http://www.amazon.com/Sir-Gadabout-...tmm_abk_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

I think Orion Press had other titles in the same format... no idea if they are all still in print.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Have you thought about trying some sort of e-reader with him? One of the nice advantages to e-readers is the ability to change the size of the font making it a lot easier for people who have a problem with tiny font. And yes schedule a vision follow up it could well be a vision problem.

Absolutely try this. My DS started reading chapter books at 4 by himself only after we got the ebooks on kindle for him - we taught him to zoom in on the words first and then read the book as a precaution because we did not want him to get eye strain. And he read the whole Magic TreeHouse series on the kindle that way. The other advantage is that the pages are less overwhelming with fewer "black text" when the child zooms in. Now, he does not zoom in to the same extent as before, but we still remind him to do it to make it easy on his eyes.

You could call your VT to check if what he says about the letters getting smaller is an issue or not. To me it sounds like he is straining to make his eyes work together.

Z
    Z
    The black text comment reminded me that another thing I do on the Kindle app and on computers is reducing the contrast. Text is much more prone to "swimming" and eye strain when I have it on black on white rather than black on light grey. I find the best options much quicker by closing my good eye and trying settings with my lazy eye alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM