Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    @blackcat... I don't know why they did so many WM tests... The final soores are:
    VCI 140
    PRI 149
    WMI 132
    PSI 106
    He is a slow mover and has handwriting issues for sure. I am less concerned then I would have been a few years ago. He does not have ADHD. We tested because we are relocating and needed scores for programming...
    Got word that extended norms do not apply and to be honest, I am relieved!!!!

B
    B
    What do you mean they do not apply? The raw scores do not bring them up, or the school does not care about them?

J
    OP Offline
    J
    The scores don't change.

L
    L
    "Does not apply" COULD mean that a child hit 19, but would not have any raw score points beyond 19, if criteria were "extended." In other words, a 19 on the WISC, from what I understand can mean a child just hit the 19 (just enough raw score points) or actually scored enough points that if scoring continued, they could have earned more scaled points (i.e., a 23 instead of a 19). It is somewhat similar to the concept of not all 99 percentiles being the same on a grade level test. On a MAP test, you will still have a 99%, despite the fact that the RIT score could be a 99% two grades up. Again - my limited understanding.

Jefferson - this may or not be the case with your DC. IF you have the raw scores, you could double-check the extended norms chart: http://images.pearsonclinical.com/images/assets/WISC-IV/WISCIV_TechReport_7.pdf
    Also, a 19 is very high!

Last edited by Loy58; 04/24/14 09:51 AM. Reason: added link
    B
    B
    I think with DD she had two 18's and a 19. She ran out of questions on matrix reasoning which was a 19. So that brought up her GAI about 4 points. One of the 18's brought up her score 1 point and the other had no effect. I don't understand why an 18 would even be eligible for extended norms.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    That chart seems to be helpful but I find it utterly confusing!! I do have raw scores if you're bored! HAHA

P
    P
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    [quote=Jefferson]
    I wonder why he had 3 tests done for working memory? And which were used in the scores? My kids each had two (DD had arithmetic and letter/number and DS had digit span and letter/number).

Here's my understanding of this based on what our neuropsych told us when testing (keep in mind, I'm just a parent and it's been several years since my ds was tested). On the WISC, ,there's an option to administer one of the optional subtests when a tester feels that the score on one subtest might not be representative of true ability in that area. If the score on the optional subtest is higher it can be substituted in calculating FSIQ - but with a note attached to the test report re which subtests were used in the calculation. My guess is that when the OP's child Letter/Number subtest score came in at 12 (low relative to other subtests), the tester opted to administer the optional Arithmetic subtest, that test score was higher, and was most likely substituted in place of the Letter/Number subtest score.

polarbear

B
    B
    Wonder if there is a test that can be substituted for "coding". Because both my kids do bad on it.

E
    E
    I don't understand why an 18 would even be eligible for extended norms.

Because for some combinations of child age and subtest, it's not possible to score a 19 - getting all the questions right yields an 18.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    I don't understand why an 18 would even be eligible for extended norms.

Because for some combinations of child age and subtest, it's not possible to score a 19 - getting all the questions right yields an 18.

I find it weird that it wouldn't be possible to get a 19, but I guess that explains it.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM