Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Statistically, the population that has mastered fluent decoding is likely to be higher in comprehension than the population that has not (seems obvious!). So in a screening situation, wcpm is an efficient means of identifying a first cut of students who may need support in either reading decoding or reading comprehension. There is a better correlation between fluency and comprehension than face validity would suggest, but it is not perfect. There are definitely kids who can decode excellently, but not comprehend (hyperlexic), and those who can comprehend, but decode very slowly (many compensated dyslexics).

So I'm saying that, on a population level, yes, if she has mastered decoding, she is likely to have high comprehension, but on an individual level, no, this is not a guarantee that she actually has strong comprehension.

Probably just confused you even more...sorry!

I guess I'm just saying that the value of your reading test results is highly dependent on the instruments that were used, and the ones you've listed are either weak predictors of classroom reading comprehension achievement for a specific student, or it is unclear what the instrument is, and thus how much weight to put on it.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    And if your child's decoding level is too hush you will be told they have comprehension problems as a matter of course.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Yes, kids read at a lower level at school because they're not just decoding and being carried along by the excitement of the story. In reading groups they're being asked hard questions, analysing the text, remembering small details, reading between the lines, inferring things about the character's motivations, etc. You'd find that easier to do on a John Grisham book than on Chaucer because the low level book (most mass market fiction is about 6th grade level) needs no concentration to decode. Because these kids are just learning how to use their higher order thinking skills on text it helps to have a comparatively easy book to practice on.

The key word in that last sentence is "comparatively." Where this process falls down for gifted early readers is that the reading level becomes "shockingly" or "insultingly" easy given their ability levels. If the reading is far below their level, you lose their interest, and they miss out on those tiny details that they're asked to regurgitate in order to demonstrate what they term, at that level, "comprehension."

Also, the questions in early elementary are often stupid, obvious questions. For example, a sample text might read:

"The old man decided to go outside. He put on his pants. He put on his shoes. He put on his hat."

And a "comprehension question" might read: "Why did the old man put on his hat?"

The expected answer is, "because he decided to go outside." But it's a stupid question, because this is not the '40s, and people don't always wear a hat outdoors anymore. So a gifted reader naturally concludes that the text did not give a proper reason why he wore a hat, and tries to guess, based on the little context given. Hmmm... we know he's old. "Because he's bald?"

The answer is marked wrong, and the teacher then reports the child is the one with comprehension problem, rather than the other way around.

i agree that most classrooms suck, but even in a non-insultingly easy classroom the comparative difference between where they read for pleasure and where they can analyse the text holds true. I don't know if it's just because of age/maturity or because of length of reading experience, but I was utterly convinced when the argument was presented to me. It definitely fit with what I saw in my kids as very early readers. There was a big difference for my kids in how much brain power they had to use on decoding in the first six months of fluent reading compared to after they really really took off. They wouldn't have had the spare processing power to remember and really think about the text if they'd been studying instead of just reading How to Train Your Dragon at that stage.

Y
    OP Offline
    Y
    Hush=high?--sorry, on an iPad, responding to puffin but can't seem to use the quote feature.

Last edited by yogawordmom; 06/20/14 02:44 PM.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by yogawordmom
    Hush=high?--sorry, on an iPad, responding to puffin but can't seem to use the quote feature.

Sorry having autocorrect and tiredness issues.

Y
    OP Offline
    Y
    We did the private testing and she tested high average, not gifted. I'm coming back here to post because I thought maybe some of you might have some ideas of where I can go to get support for this. I know this may sound strange, but I have not associated with anyone not gifted in my adult life, and all of my friends have gifted kids--seriously--and I want to make sure that I am informed on how to advocate for her in the educational system we are in. Also somewhat worried about making sure she feels ok inside her family, since her parents and step siblings are all gifted. Maybe this difference just isn't a big deal but I'd feel better having a network of similarly-situated people to talk to. Any ideas?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM