Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    W
    W
    This type of gifted child always makes everyone proud, has a strong inner sense of ethics and morals, but may have to make time up later in life figuring out what they really want.

Maybe it won't happen, but it is likely they will find that to follow their intuition they have to divert from what family and friends are saying to do.

When you are young it lines up to follow what family and friends are saying to do and it almost feels like an obligation to do so.

When you become an adult, have your own place, start a career, take a partner, have a child, whatever, then the gifted person realizes that their path comes from their intuition about things. (Yes, this might just be for those with strong Myers-Briggs intuition like INFP people in those studies.)

All of a sudden there are new obligations to spouses, bosses, children, society, etc. Their world really opens up, so spend time with them when they are young! They might be up in the air on an airplane once they are adults.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by yogawordmom
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I agree people-pleasing can hold people back.
    I don't have personal experience either way, but I've certainly read of plenty of cases where precisely the opposite happens.
    Oh...this comment intrigues me. Do tell!? smile
    Again, not my direct experience, but from reading threads on this forum and elsewhere, I gather that in some schools, children who obediently do all the boring busywork correctly are favored (for access to advanced work) over those who refuse because it's to easy, or who made mistakes due to frustration/boredom. They are not given the chance to demonstrate more advanced skills, but instead must demonstrate compliance with non-advanced tasks. Another problem is that lack of exemplorary classroom conduct may disqualify one for access to advanced work. Instead, the imperfect classroom conduct is focussed on as a problem to be resolved before academics are considered.

This perfectly captures what happened for DS' entire first grade year. In addition, these mistakes and non-compliance were held up as evidence that DS was unlikely to be gifted, since "we've had gifted children and they are always the ones finding something productive to do." (DS was finding his version of productivity, entertaining his classmates with his comedic routines. The teachers were not amused.) He later tested at the PG level.

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 04/29/14 05:28 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I don't have personal experience either way, but I've certainly read of plenty of cases where precisely the opposite happens.
    Oh...this comment intrigues me. Do tell!? smile
    Again, not my direct experience, but from reading threads on this forum and elsewhere, I gather that in some schools, children who obediently do all the boring busywork correctly are favored (for access to advanced work) over those who refuse because it's to easy, or who made mistakes due to frustration/boredom. They are not given the chance to demonstrate more advanced skills, but instead must demonstrate compliance with non-advanced tasks. Another problem is that lack of exemplorary classroom conduct may disqualify one for access to advanced work. Instead, the imperfect classroom conduct is focussed on as a problem to be resolved before academics are considered.
    This perfectly captures what happened for DS' entire first grade year. In addition, these mistakes and non-compliance were held up as evidence that DS was unlikely to be gifted, since "we've had gifted children and they are always the ones finding something productive to do." (DS was finding his version of productivity, entertaining his classmates with his comedic routines. The teachers were not amused.) He later tested at the PG level.

And also something I fought against for years when I was on the gifted screening committee in my old district; teachers consistently referred kids with IQs in the 110s who were personable, compliant, and worked quickly, and routinely overlooked a few kids with CogAT and ITBS scores in the 130s across the board. Oh, and they underreferred students of color and linguistic minorities, too.

I think one of the problems is that a lot of teachers refer children who are like themselves, or an idealized picture of themselves at that age.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots

And also something I fought against for years when I was on the gifted screening committee in my old district; teachers consistently referred kids with IQs in the 110s who were personable, compliant, and worked quickly, and routinely overlooked a few kids with CogAT and ITBS scores in the 130s across the board. Oh, and they underreferred students of color and linguistic minorities, too.

I think one of the problems is that a lot of teachers refer children who are like themselves, or an idealized picture of themselves at that age.

ConnectingDots could have been describing my DD's year with her math teacher (her Language Arts teacher seems to understand her, at least). The math teacher actually wanted to put her in the slow-moving group because she didn't comply with a lot of this teacher's requirements about type of paper, position of name, date, and staple, and so on. Refused to believe me when I tried to explain that DD is gifted.

Aeh, what you wrote is interesting. I stumbled across and old article in the NY Times about gifted programs in New York, and one of the commenters said the basically same thing: that gifted minority students get overlooked (have just tried and failed to find that comment in a field of 176 of them frown ). That's very disturbing.

Last edited by Val; 05/06/14 06:44 PM.
    A
    A
    DD7 made her very first complaint to her teacher today! I'm partly proud and surprised, partly apprehensive and not at all surprised. Very complex reactions as you can see, lol!
    DD loves school, is happy to comply, loves following rules, loves the routines, the friendships, works hard, engages fully and is super polite - but if she's anything like her brother, this will start to go sour by about age 9-10. I can see it coming. Right now she's a teacher's dream. In a few years, very few of them will understand her. A couple of them will LOVE everything she says and is. The rest will think she's off-topic, odd-ball, unfocused, too difficult.
    Her teacher this year (the year starts in February here) is awesome and completely took her complaint on board and is doing his best against the school policy of "if we give her xyz now, we'll run out of things to teach her." With a less-interested teacher things will go sour faster.
    Luckily this time, fingers-crossed, we're forewarned and forearmed. Last time we had noooo idea what had hit us smile

T
    T
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I guess I just wonder if these gifted lists are skewed toward malcontents?
    While articles such as The Parenting and Education of Gifted Students by Jan Davidson Ph.D. are positive and informative regarding gifted traits and identification of the gifted, it is mentioned that "unchallenged bright students are at risk for frustration, depression, underachievement, and often give up on school as a place of learning" and that they may exhibit "an inability to concentrate on a task that is not intellectually challenging, including repetitious ideas or material presented in small pieces."

These traits are not describing malcontents, but are raising awareness of the unfortunate impacts of a learning environment which does not "fit". This information helps alert parents and teachers to signs and symptoms, and also offers suggestions on providing a stimulating, challenging, supportive learning environment.

Not all children react that way. Some, especially girls, just fade into the class. Think about it - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the child with behavioural issues gets the testing. Those kids are malcontents because of their IQ, but having a high IQ does not always make you a malcontent.

Of course, these kids (often girls) don't ever learn to work or struggle or overcome adversity, which is a problem in later life, but in school they don't make themselves obvious. I can't tell you how many sweet, gentle calm high IQ kids I know who were tested because a sibling was having issues at school.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I guess I just wonder if these gifted lists are skewed toward malcontents?
    While articles such as The Parenting and Education of Gifted Students by Jan Davidson Ph.D. are positive and informative regarding gifted traits and identification of the gifted, it is mentioned that "unchallenged bright students are at risk for frustration, depression, underachievement, and often give up on school as a place of learning" and that they may exhibit "an inability to concentrate on a task that is not intellectually challenging, including repetitious ideas or material presented in small pieces."

These traits are not describing malcontents, but are raising awareness of the unfortunate impacts of a learning environment which does not "fit". This information helps alert parents and teachers to signs and symptoms, and also offers suggestions on providing a stimulating, challenging, supportive learning environment.

Not all children react that way. Some, especially girls, just fade into the class. Think about it - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the child with behavioural issues gets the testing. Those kids are malcontents because of their IQ, but having a high IQ does not always make you a malcontent.

Of course, these kids (often girls) don't ever learn to work or struggle or overcome adversity, which is a problem in later life, but in school they don't make themselves obvious. I can't tell you how many sweet, gentle calm high IQ kids I know who were tested because a sibling was having issues at school.

Yes, a thousand times. This is very true. And a very big problem later in life.

I
    I
    personality... malcontents?
    The Merriam-Webster definition of malcontent is "a person who is always or often unhappy or angry about something".

This definition may describe a person with a generally negative view who seeks to find fault with whatever is at hand in many circumstances. This may contrast sharply with a person frustrated with an issue, such as a poor fit with a learning environment: rebelliousness triggered by being steeped in repetition of material already mastered.

Lists of possible observable identifying characteristics of the gifted are only meant to help broaden one's thinking from the narrow, stereotypical, and historical view of "teacher's pet" as being gifted; Such lists were not intended to preclude "teacher's pet", compliant, or agreeable children from being identified as gifted.

There are differing cultural norms (and different adages such as "the nail that sticks out will get hammered down" and "tall poppy syndrome"). The wikipedia page about the adage "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" describes these briefly.

Not all children react that way. Some, especially girls, just fade into the class. Think about it - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the child with behavioural issues gets the testing.

This was my DD. She tried very hard to conform to her teachers' expectations of her, even going so far as to pretend not to know things she'd mastered years before.

Luckily, she has very squeaky parents.

I
    I
    Not all children react that way. Some, especially girls, just fade into the class.
    This is true. Many gifted kiddos, including identified kiddos, hide their gifts and talents. There are threads discussing this. It is not necessarily an identification issue. Rather, it may be students seeking social acceptance and inclusion. This may be an unfortunate side-effect of a society seeking ever greater educational, academic, and intellectual conformity/uniformity rather than valuing unique, creative, diverse intellectual positions.

... the child with behavioural issues gets the testing.
    Prior to lists of common behavioral characteristics of gifted children being created, misbehaving children may not have often been tested for giftedness. The lists raised awareness. Is it your observation and experience that the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction... that only children with behavior issues are being tested?

Those kids are malcontents because of their IQ...
    When you say this, what definition of "malcontent" are you working with?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM