Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by 22B
    They are trying to get (exploit) your kid to do it for free instead of paying someone.
    That was also my gut, cynical reaction. The only thing that might indicate otherwise, is that it sounds as though the child herself has requested the peer...

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    Originally Posted by 22B
    They are trying to get (exploit) your kid to do it for free instead of paying someone.
    That was also my gut, cynical reaction. The only thing that might indicate otherwise, is that it sounds as though the child herself has requested the peer...

The email came from the parent.

M
    M
    I did it all the time when I was in early elementary. And I loved it! For me it was just another form of playdate. We just "played school". I wouldn't have any issues with my kids tutoring other kids if THEY wanted to do it. Not just because I would tell them to do it, of course. I'd think the child who needs help might find it easier to take help from another child that an adult.

I am surprised by all the "get the child a paid tutor" responses. Nothing wrong with helping someone just for the good of helping someone.

M
    M
    ... didn't mean to sound rude or judgmental in my previous comment. I'm just surprised

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    Nothing wrong with helping someone just for the good of helping someone.

You are completely wrong about this. I used to think this, and the results have been devastating. Unfortunately we live in a world where being altruistic can expose you to extreme danger.

It is unlikely that the OP's case is that extreme, but it may not be purely benign either.

A
    A
    I'd back out on assistance and say after giving it more thought, your DD can't spare the time. I think the initial request was inappropriate. A 9 year old should not be responsible for the academic success of a peer. Answering a few quick questions on an ad hoc basis? Maybe if you're both on board. But for a potentially ongoing relationship, other more appropriate resources, like the teacher, have a legitimate duty to the underperforming student.

There are a number of reasons why I think the request was inappropriate:

1. Work/favours are being marketed as a social/play opportunity, which they aren't. That's a manipulative play with your daughter's emotions.

2. Information asymmetry-- you don't know the source or extent of the child's need for assistance. What if the child has a LD? Your DD is in no way qualified to address that and could cause more harm than good.

3. Knowing the socioeconomics of your neighborhood, I'm going to infer that the child's parents can do elementary level math, which begs the question of why they aren't stepping up to the plate. Are these the kind of people who share your values? If not, why begin a relationship with them? They should have approached the teacher to explore the option of peer tutoring first, and had the teacher facilitate.

4. If your daughter is being called in to do work, they should at least offer to pay her. That they aren't makes me agree with 22B that the parents are being exploitative.

5. Perhaps most importantly, your DD's time. She only had one free day, and now it's going to be spent working. I think the value of free time is underestimated.

Last edited by aquinas; 04/11/14 01:36 PM.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    P
    P
    Well for point 3 I would suspect the parents learnt a very different way to the way the child is being taught now and they are confused. As for the rest I don't know. Do the first thing and take it from there. I remember losing maths at one point and it turned out to be I was looking for meaning where there wasn't any.

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thank you everyone. This was very helpful.
    I wrote an email to the teacher and asked for her input. I mentioned that DD's mind rushes and she may not be up for the task of trying to explain math well and it could be a negative outcome.

I also talked to DD and explained this was not a playdate. They would have an hour only because the girl had ballet and they were expected to work on math the whole time.

BTW, this talk happened after I picked her up from the school bus and we were walking the dog on the beach on a beautiful day, so she had to balance the idea of sitting and helping someone with math instead.

I suggested that she try and do some tutoring on Mon during school and see how that went and then she could decide about Tues.

Then, I just get this email from the parent asking if Sunday plans change could we fit in a session? We have a playdate tomorrow starting at 12:30, for the afternoon and then we have a dinner party and Sunday she has a horse back riding lesson plus we have to hit Costco and then we see the Chinese tutor. Not fitting this in. I am not close to being altruistic to fit it in. And we have to walk the dog along the beach for an hour or so. Sorry but I got irked by the email and regretting agreeing to one session.

Anyway, I think between the Monday at school attempt and the teacher interceding, I have a feeling it won't be happening.

Again, thanks. input was excellent.

Sounds like the right decision to me, Wren. Glad that you're enlisting the teacher's help. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    I find it an amusing coincidence that DS8 now just happens to be reading about Phylum Porifera.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM