Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    D
    Dandy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Study some months back where they compared (1) a group of students who were told to favor quantity over quality, churn out tons of writing, and then select their best for grading; (2) a group of students who were given feedback to hone a smaller amount of writing. At the end, (1) was determined to produce greater gains in writing than (2).

I would love to know more about that. Especially the academic level of the students. I've always been on board with voluminous reading making for a better reader... but writing without being able to learn from critical feedback? Naw -- the boy would fill up pages with word salad and never look back.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    D
    Dandy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks all. I no longer feel like I'm crazy.
    Now I'm just sad. And irritated.
    But mostly sad.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    I would love to know more about that. Especially the academic level of the students. I've always been on board with voluminous reading making for a better reader... but writing without being able to learn from critical feedback? Naw -- the boy would fill up pages with word salad and never look back.

I think they were college students. Will look for it when I have time.

D
    D
    Presented here as conventional wisdom with some (not terribly recent) citations:

http://www.cmu.edu/teaching/designteach/design/instructionalstrategies/writing/respond.html

In searching I also found this, which seems both useful and entertaining:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/635/01/

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    HK, we read A River Runs Through It in high school English -- so you know what the standards were in that teacher's class! smile

My mother used to tell of a class she had where the teacher didn't read essays. Nobody believed her when she told them so, and she actually proved it -- she handed in an essay with the first and last paragraphs on topic and all the insides a scathing commentary on the school, the class, and the teacher in particular. She got an A. Nobody ever bothered writing real essays after that.

I would definitely be tempted to try that, if I got the idea that a teacher wasn't reading the work. I have sent some commentary back on papers, and demanded better work, from time to time.

In high school, we also had a teacher like that. Would offer grades based on the length, seeming to not read, and a friend tested the theory by putting random stuff in the middle. Got a high grade. I'd also want to give that a try (maybe with a backup essay in case the teacher actually does read it) and show it to the principal.

Dandy: You're definitely not expecting too much to see your DS receive meaningful feedback for his writing in 9th grade. I was pleased to finally see my own DD bring home a constructed response essay with a well-deserved F, for failing to properly respond to the prompt, and with splashes of red ink for grammatical mistakes which had hitherto gone completely ignored. This was only 4th grade.

D
    Dandy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Funny, Dude. My son and I were sifting through some of his old papers and found that the only teacher who ever consistently read & criticized his work was the amazing teacher he had in 5th grade.

If his 9th grade teacher put half that effort into her responses, I'd be happy.

This late in the year, I'm not too keen on making waves as I'd hate for him to get a vindictive grade when it might be too late for him to recover his grade. This might also happen to be the teacher who didn't understand weighted grading very well, which could really make a mess of things.

I am waiting to hear back from the counselor again -- all you peoples's responses made me realize that I wasn't nuts.

Thanks to all you all again.

22B Offline
    Writing essays that will never be read is good practice for the SAT.

D
    Dandy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Writing essays that will never be read is good practice for the SAT.
    That was the only section of SAT prep my son didn't fight. He liked the challenge of creatively living down to their expectations.

Although apparently there will be no more essay after the next round of dumbing-down. Too bad.

D
    Dandy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Peer grading is the norm here beginning in 3rd grade. The kids exchange papers and are guided through a rubric to look for "strong topic sentence". They look at grammar, construction, vocabulary, etc, following the rubric on the overhead.

His teacher tried this nonsense at the beginning of the year. Thankfully, a few parents got together to complain to admin after she ignored their private criticisms. Sent in actual papers with the "peer review" sheets attached. Hilarity all around. Apparently an edict came down saying no peer review on subjectively-graded assignments or some such.

I don't mind kids grading quizzes & tests with clear-cut answers because errors are easily addressed. But essays? Nope. Not having that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM