Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by puffin
    ...TRUE but it is not relevant to my complaint about gettin 2+2 for homework for the third year running. Nor does it explain why he has advanced less than a year in that time according to them.
    Exactly. Students may benefit if schools provide instruction/challenge at various levels to support/develop individual student strengths.

It sounds as though he may be learning to "tread water" and underachieve.

Are there other students in a similar situation as yours? Might his growth be better facilitated by the school setting aside chronological age and cluster grouping by readiness and ability in each subject (considering math as a separate skill or strength area than ELA/writing)?

P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Probably but they have just dropped streaming for year 3/4 maths and replaced it with this model on the grounds that it is more beneficial for students not to be ability grouped. They will not change until next time there is a change in educational practice (maybe in 10 years) and even the teachers who disagree will toe the line until then. I could change schools but there is not likely to be much difference and if there is it will be shortlived because the schools all work off the same ministry/ero advice although some change sooner.

I will just have to come up with a new plan. And yes he is starting to develop worrying perfectionist/avoidance techniques. He did when he was four too so I sent him to ballet which helped until he was 6. Now I send him to a one day a week extesnsion class. Unfortunately the schools don't fund this and the cost is causing problems.

The motto of mainstream education these days ( with a few exceptions, of course ) seems to be :-

Cluster is only half a word

Become what you are
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM