Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    HowlerKarma, you are right that the kids will have a much better sense of what they actually want by high school. One of the problem though is that it is hard to gauge the atmosphere of a particular campus unless you spent time there. Part of it is guilt on my part - I know how great these (at least mine) schools can be. I found so many people to whom I could relate and actually felt like I really belong in college.

I didn't have the faintest idea what I wanted in a college, or why I was going. I looked at it as "Grade 13".

As far as I could tell, I wasn't going to feel like I belonged in any of the colleges.

I was waaaaay to socially immature to deal with college.

And I will say that college made my immaturity worse and not better, since I was less socialized when I was finished. That really didn't help with law school.

Fortunately, it was free....

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I see what you mean, but for me, it wasn't that I thought my alma mater was "one of the great ones," it was just that it fit. I didn't get the same feel with either of my graduate level institutions., although perhaps there is that difference between undergraduate and graduate.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Fortunately, it was free....

There you have it!

I see what you mean, but for me, it wasn't that I thought my alma mater was "one of the great ones," it was just that it fit. I didn't get the same feel with either of my graduate level institutions., although perhaps there is that difference between undergraduate and graduate.

What I probably needed was another year or two to grow up more than anything else.

DD9 has expressed her desire to attend a college nearby so she can continue to live at home, since she's a member of the generation that inexplicably likes its parents. So at the moment, that's not an issue.

DD is naturally competitive, is responsive to extrinsic rewards, and is perfectionist to boot, so she'd be a wonderful tiger cub, as she already has the claws and fangs, and she just needs to earn her stripes. But since we're [insert the opposite of tiger here, what is that? bear? antelope? meercat?] parents, we've been spending a lot of time helping her file down those claws and fangs. Among the dulling exercises, we deliberately cut back on her schedule if she's getting overloaded, we aggressively schedule her some down/play time, we emphasize mistakes as a valuable part of learning, and we pay her for earning Bs.

At age 5 she became fascinated with Olympic gymnastics, and we discouraged her from pursuing that by pointing out all the hours of training that requires, and all the things in her life that would displace. Once she knew the opportunity costs, she decided she was unwilling to pay. The same argument will still play when it comes time to pursuing an elite college. She can remain an emotionally stable human being who makes connections with other human beings while earning some B's in high school, or she can strive for valedictorian.

And then she'll probably qualify for an Ivy anyway.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I try really hard to make sure that DS fully enjoy his childhood without pressures or inappropriate expectations, partly in the hope that he will be ready to be a grown-up by college. By the way, not that I am implying that was your problem.

I try really hard to make sure that DS fully enjoy his childhood without pressures or inappropriate expectations, partly in the hope that he will be ready to be a grown-up by college. By the way, not that I am implying that was your problem.

Well, I also had effective total control over my school environment since my father was the school superintendent.

College didn't have that....

Once she knew the opportunity costs, she decided she was unwilling to pay. The same argument will still play when it comes time to pursuing an elite college. She can remain an emotionally stable human being who makes connections with other human beings while earning some B's in high school, or she can strive for valedictorian.

PRECISELY. smile

#1 is important to my DD-- no idea if she'll get there or not (it's possible), but an Ivy ultimately was not.

She's eying possible national (maybe Olympic) competition in another area, and has made some choices about college appropriately... but that meant either MIT or {where she's chosen, which is a "best buy" but FAR from elite}.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I like that visual - claws and fangs! For some reason, DS is not particularly competitive, at least with his classmates but that can change.

It's also kind of weird how clearly DS understands statistics from an early age. He undestands that even 99.9 percentile is ultimately a dime a dozen when there are millions of people. He is the one who pointed out to me that you can hit perfect scores on all the AMCs and be a long way from gaining one of the few slots on the USAMO team.

I'm hoping to reach an emotional age of 20 by the time my kids are in college. I figure I'm about 17 or 18 now.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM