Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Welcome to the board. I'm sorry your request was turned down. Around here the way to get an early entrance to K is to attend K in private school and then transfer to PS as a 1st grader. I know quite a few people who have done that and even were told by PS that it was an option when they asked for early entrance.

LMom
    #18357 06/25/08 01:26 PM
    Thanks for this board.

My son is 5 months old and can already stand and is very, very alert - far more so than any of his peers at day care or out on the street. He can recongnize me and DW and DDGP very far away. He recently got into a tug of war with a 1 year old child who tried to take his pacifier and won. ( He saw that the child was looking at his pacifier and grabbed hold of it as the kid began to reach for it. ) He says "Nuhuh" and shakes his head when he does not want a bottle. He has favorite programs on TV and will laugh at the appropriate times. Both my wife and I were (in retrospect) HG/EG, but came from families that were sexist or which looked down on intellectual ability.

I read the novel Emergence which reminded me of my childhood in some respects. Has anyone else read this novel?

I want my son to grow up secure and happy with his abilities. I hope to learn from everyone here.

Welcome, Austin! I'll have to check out that novel. It sounds interesting.

I was a rabid Heinlein fan a couple decades ago. Interesting to see the reviewers compare the style and subject matter of this Palmer book. I'm intrigued!

Austin, unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information available about gifted babies. Miraca Gross has done a bit of research, but it is still an area relatively unexplored. Early walking and talking do correlate with giftedness, but there are also many gifted kids who walk and talk at a more average age or even later. There are also a few regular kids who do this stuff early, but parents tend to be pretty accurate about assessing their children's abilities.

You can look at my web site here for a few articles: http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/10599.asp

My most precocious walker started walking independently at seven months. It wasn't long before she was running...

Lorel #18365 06/25/08 05:05 PM
    Hi Austin,

Both my girls are in HG/PG range. My youngest walked independently at 9 months and was running by 10. My eldest didn't walk independently until 14 months. DD8 has always been cautious and DD5 has no fear.
    They did a lot of things as babies that I kind of went.....huh? at the time and then quickly disregarded. I am also from a GD family. Luckily I did jot a few things down in their baby books with dates when they seemed unusual, I wish I would have written down more.
    I am definately trying to raise my girls in a way that respects and supports their individual and whole selfs, including allowing them to learn at their own pace.
    So if DD6 wants to do math sheets three grades above her "age-level" while sucking on a ring pop and playing with a hulk action figure, great. If DD8 wants to conduct basic chemistry experiments and then watch Drake and Josh on Nickelodeon, great.
    Since I have no family history of supporting intellectual giftedness I have no real model to draw on. Sometimes I feel like I'm running with scissors in the dark.

This board is great for support and bouncing ideas around.

Enjoy and welcome,

Neato

Last edited by incogneato; 06/25/08 05:06 PM. Reason: Age change, I keep forgetting she just turned 6, wahoo!
    Lorel #18531 06/27/08 02:19 PM
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    You can look at my web site here for a few articles: http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/10599.asp

Thanks. I will take a look!

Its a lot of fun to read what everyone is up to.

I think everyone will enjoy that book.

W
    W
    I am new to this website.i got a lot of wealthy informations from this website. homeschooling is the education of children at home teached by parents or tutors. it will inspires students to realize their full potential.

====================
    wilona

Addiction Recovery Alabama

Hi wilona! A number of us homeschool our kids. You're in good company here. smile

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM