Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    FWIW, my husband is a developmental optometrist and he said irlen syndrome is not a real disorder. However, if a child is having difficulty with reading and processing speed, and you do not have an explanation for it,he would suggest having a thorough evaluation done by a developmental optometrist. I am not sure where you live but if you go to COVD.org it will connect you with a eye professional that would know what to look for in terms of possible problems that your daughter may be dealing with. Not trying to stir anything up just adding info:).

P
    P
    Does she literally forget or just get sidetracked. Ds6 has a WM >99.9 %ile but cannot remember if I give him more than 2 instructions at a time. I think he just starts thinking about the first thing and doesn't hear the rest.

K
    Keinnaf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    we are in the UK Psychland. I know irlen is odd and doesn't officially exist, the thing is she can read but she sees the letters in the wrong order (tracking is ok - that has been checked) so say she sees the word brightened which she would actually recognise by sight so not a good example but when she segments a word like that she would get br i t end and I know she would as she could sound it like that but then she would end up saying something like birtend as the overall word. or she sees the letters in the wrong places, full stops aren't visible to her if it is black print on white, the white board makes her cry because it hurts her eyes so much so she definitely has some sort of light sensitivity. The place we got her coloured glasses from has a vision therapy department and are the only reputable one in the area (by that I mean the schools respect them, our usual optician respects them as he doesn't deal with this kind of thing and they don't charge way over the odds for everything). I am not sure about the US but in the UK there really isn't much interest in anything other than long or short sighted and the more usual well understood problems.

I do wonder that puffin, there could be a fair amount of not actually listening/zoning out going on.

I have her breakdown of scores now.
    raw score scaled score percentile rank
    VCI
    similarities 15 14 91
    vocabulary 22 12 75
    comprehension 9 8 25
    (information) 13 12 75
    (word reasoning)13 15 95

Perceptional Reasoning Index
    block design 47 18 99.6
    picture concepts 15 13 84
    matrix reasoning 25 18 99.6
    (picture completion) 19 12 75

Working Memory
    Digit Span 17 15 95
    letter-number seq 22 19 99.9
    (arithmatic) 19 14 91

Processing Speed
    coding          42 11 63
    symbol search   28 12 75
    (cancellation) 70 14 91

(sorry - formatting hasn't copied over)
    so obviously comprehension jumps out straight away to me.

K
    Keinnaf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I should add that in the processing speed tests she hadn't been wearing her glasses for any of the tests but on the symbol search the psychologist noticed she was able to do it but was finding it hard work so she suggested she wore them for the cancellation test later on and her score is noticeably higher. Could be coincidence but I do wonder if that is why her scores on coding and symbol search are much lower than cancellation.

I am worried about the comprehension score. I keep reading that it can indicate aspergers but I really don't think she has aspergers, she has no social issues at all and she does understand social situations and can change her language appropriately to different ages, knows what is acceptable and what isn't, recognises expressions and so on.

K
    Keinnaf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    She had her dyslexia test this morning, still waiting for the results from it but one very obvious problem showed up. she was asked to come up with as many words starting with s as she could in a minute, she managed 4. she was then asked to come up with as many animals as she could and she got 12. So I gather this is letter fluency and semantic fluency? obviously some level of discrepancy there, she found it much easier to do the semantic ones.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM