Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    K
    Keinnaf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    thought I had posted this but can't see it so apologies if I am duplicating

We just got my daughter's WISC results back - report to follow and we are getting a dyslexia test done too.

her overall IQ is 130 so very superior,
    Verbal Comprehension is 106 (66th centile) average
    Perceptional Reasoning is 139 (99.5th centile) very superior
    Working Memory is 141 (99.7th centile) very superior
    Processing Speed is 109 (73rd centile) average

what reasons could there be for such a high difference in scores?

thank you

I
    I
    Welcome!

[bump]

The best information may come from your child's tester, who prepared the score report. For example, s/he may have observed something during testing which may have impacted your child's scores and which would be unique to your child.

If parents wish to read up on a little background information to have a bit of foundation for understanding the test score report and preparing for a meaningful discussion with the tester about their child's score report, here are a few ideas and resources to begin with...
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/182871.html#Post182871

There are many different reasons for that kind of spread. Did you get a full report yet? The full list of subtest scores?

~amy
    K
    Keinnaf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    thank you for replying. I should get the full report next week, I guess I am just impatient and concerned.

thank you I will look at the resources on the link.

I know with a couple of the questions she could have elaborated much more on the answer but she didn't, she either gave a bizarre answer which was actually technically correct but wasn't the information that was being looked for, or she said she didn't know when I know she would have known but probably couldn't express it so said she didn't know rather than try. I know she worries about getting things wrong as well and the psychologist did comment on that when we were leaving so that will have made a bit of a difference but to be honest this would have been a very small amount and I can't believe it would have added up to being enough for that much of a difference.

thanks for the replies

S
    S
    I can see the reason you are having phonological/orthographical processing evaluated to see if there is a problem. However, I would caution you from reading to much in to these results. While your child does have significant strengths in working memory and perceptual reasoning (I am guessing they are a strong math student) their other scores are average, and solidly so. Contrary to what people sometimes think just because some scores are significantly lower than others it does not mean there is a learning disability. Especially, if those scores are not significantly discrepant from average (below 85). Unless your DC is having real difficulty with reading in the classroom I would not be overly concerned.

B
    B
    I think a higher PRI may be more likely with dyslexic children. I am not sure where I got this information, maybe in the "dyslexia advantage" book?
    Anyway, when the discrepancy between PRI/VCI is statistically significant then the higher PRI could indicate a language difficulty/disorder (check essentials of wisc-iv). However, your child's VCI is still decent so I doubt schools would believe there is anything there.
    I would not worry about processing speed at all. It is generally lower than the other 3 scales. (wisc-iv essentials- assessment)

Last edited by bina; 03/15/14 07:41 AM.
    K
    Keinnaf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    thank you bina. I have seen it mentioned in a couple of places about dyslexia can lead to a lower verbal score and also a slower processing speed. That is reassuring processing speed is normally lower.

I doubt the school will care much either to be honest but I have been concerned about dyslexia since starting to try and teach her phonics when she started to learn to read. She just didn't 'get' it in the same way as other children I have helped read and other things like problems with orientation, left and right, has irlen syndrome, forgets what she is supposed to be doing part of the way through doing something (but according to the WISC has exceptional working memory skills) could point towards it too. Paediatrician raised concerns about higher level language processing (I think that was what he called it) but I think it was possible more that we don't use metaphors and idioms so she wasn't really exposed to them. We have started to try and use them more and she is picking them up so I don't think there is a problem there.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by bina
    I would not worry about processing speed at all. It is generally lower than the other 3 scales. (wisc-iv essentials- assessment)

I also most likely wouldn't *worry* about it in this instance - but fwiw, the degree to which your ds' PSI is lower than the other scores may very well be indicating something significant. (FWIW I have a ds with dysgraphia/DCD and a dd with vision issues; both have significant gaps in PSI vs PRI/VIQ). Without knowing the subtest scores, it's all just a guess but fwiw, I suspect your ds' Irlen Syndrome may have impacted his processing speed scores. Symbol Search is a subtest that requires a student to find matching symbols in a field of random symbols - similar to "Where's Waldo" - my dd who has the vision challenges tanked that particular subtest. The Coding subtest requires a student to copy simple symbols, and is timed - so a child who has difficult copying for any reason (including vision) may have a depressed score on coding. It's not anything to "worry" about since there is most likely a logical explanation for why the subtest score is low relative to other subtest scores, but it's good to understand why the score is low in the context of your child's strengths and challenges, and also good data to have when you advocate for your child - it's essentially "proof" of the impact of a challenge.

Originally Posted by Keinnaf
    That is reassuring processing speed is normally lower.

FWIW, we hear a lot on these forums about lower processing speed being lower as a normal thing, but fwiw, after reading the forums here for a long time, most of the instances of relatively lower processing speed scores I've seen are from parents of 2e students who have some type of challenge that impacts the processing speed. I'd also consider the degree of relative low too - most of what I've read is that any difference between subtests/etc on the WISC that is less than 1 SD is nothing to think twice about, but greater than 1 - 1.5 SD is potentially an indication of some type of challenge. I wouldn't dismiss a relative dip of this magnitude as "normal" until I'd really thought through the full results of the testing, read the tester's full report, thought through what each type of test actually asks the student to do, and related that back to what I knew of my child's particular set of challenges.

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 03/15/14 10:30 AM.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Keinnaf
    I doubt the school will care much either to be honest but I have been concerned about dyslexia since starting to try and teach her phonics when she started to learn to read.

The school might not care, but if you have a private report with strong evidence of dyslexia or any other type of learning challenge, you have good data to use to advocate for the services that your dd needs to remediate and accommodate her challenges. There are other things that you'll need to collect to - examples of classwork, your observations on how your dd has learned to read or has been challenge with reading when you've worked with her, comments from your dd - what she feels, etc - and in the case of dyslexia, further testing (most likely some will be or has been recommended by the psych who did the eval) to pinpoint where her reading challenges are originating.

So, while the school may not care, I wouldn't not try to use what you know to advocate. It can be done, and it can be done successfully - there are quite a few of us here who have advocated successfully at school for accommodations and remedial help for our 2e students. There are also many of us who've found that we need to also do some of the remediation/etc privately - but whatever the final mix you come up with, ultimately you will most likely find you have quite a bit of helpful information within the subtest scores and the tester's report.

If you'd like to post subtest scores, there may be more info we can help with. There may also be information we can help with in achievement testing scores too, if you have them.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps -
    forgets what she is supposed to be doing part of the way through doing something (but according to the WISC has exceptional working memory skills)

The forgetting what she is supposed to be doing part of the way through was something that happened all the time with my vision-challenged dd before we realized that she had vision issues.

Last edited by polarbear; 03/15/14 10:39 AM.
    K
    Keinnaf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    thank you polar bear - that is really helpful.

I will have the subtest scores in a few days so will post them then along with more info from the psychologist and by then my daughter will have done the dyslexia test.

I emailed the psychologist to ask briefly what it might indicate and she said she would say it pointed towards dyslexia type traits and that once DD put her coloured glasses on part of the way through the tests (the tests were done in 2 sessions and for the first one we had forgotten her glasses which were in her school bag) there was a slight increase in her speed. I can't think which tests she did with them compared to which she did without but I do remember when she was doing the symbol search I think it was the psychologist said she thought she had been struggling to focus on the symbols and was tiring. The problem with irlen syndrome is that it isn't as easy to fix as just getting the right lenses is it. It might well be that that is her only problem and we just aren't managing to help it sufficiently rather than a dyslexia problem but it is so hard to know. And of course some people still think there is no such thing as Irlen/scotopic sensitivity which doesn't help.

thanks for your posts

This all shows me just how complicated it all is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM