Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Dottie #18460 06/27/08 08:20 AM
    I know we've had this discussion here I think anyhow but I'm still foggy. So when is WM a problem? For instance, DS's WMI is 94th%, so not bad at all, but would that have a negative impact on a kid w/ 99.9th% VCI compared to a kid w/ say 50th% VCI? Or would you only see an impact w/ WMI below average? I guess my question is, is it a relative difference or an absolute difference? I read on the WISCIV tech report IV that two kids w/ identical GAIs but different WMI/PSI will look very different in the classroom. Of course classroom is a smart part of life and perhaps those two kids won't look very different in the workplace (OK yes I know they are totally discounting personality here) unless they are in a time-intensive profession. But are they talking for ex: WMI in 90th% range compared to a 40th% range? Am I making any sense? I guess what I'm asking is, are you OK as long as you're at least above average? Or would you have problems the greater the difference between WMI/PSI and VCI/PRi?

E
    E
    Dazey,
    From what I can see in DS's case, he is able outside a test environment to show a much greater ability level than the tests show when he is able to work at his pace and according to his interests. I guess that makes sense - we all do better doing what we want and love. Although his WJ-3 ACH scores put him around 5th grade equivalents (+2 to chrono age), his ability in online classes in actually about +4 to chono age. His gifted teacher realizes that his test scores do not give the entire picture and works with him accordingly with challenge work as well as advancement.

There seems to be alot of controversy about ability versus IQ when processing and memory scores are lower. I'm still working my way through alot of this information and am not sure what my opinion is yet.

I do keep toying with the idea of the SB-5 since DS loves to test and maybe it would help with the timed issues... I probably won't do it though since we are getting what we need right now from the school and although it would be nice to have the numbers for DYS, this board meets most of my needs smile

(Part of the problem is also distractability in the testing. Even some of the untimed sections got a bit out of control since DS would go off on tangents that interested him smile. The Psych thought that his scores would have been alot higher if DS hadn't said what if so much and changed the questions in his head to make them more interesting. No question that Fluid Reasoning was his highest score:) Since DS talked out loud, the Psych could see where he was going and what he was doing but had to score the test as designed.)

Last edited by elh0706; 06/27/08 08:31 AM. Reason: overlapping posts
    Dottie #18466 06/27/08 08:47 AM
    OK thanks you guys for the discussion! I'll let that simmer in my brain for a bit.

Sorry for being OT!

OP Offline
    Thanks for the welcome everyone, glad I am not the only person up way to early in the day!
    I will check out the acronyms list and the hoagies site, thanks!
    Yes, the school provided the assessment including a pretty interesting question and answer sheet that I filled out to describe some of the things my DS has been up to that I felt were signs of giftedness.
    They administered a K-bit, and some reading assessments as well as pulled in his scores on other standardized testing.
    I think next year they administer something called a Cogat which I need to read up on. I imagine the retesting is partly budget related, and there's probably a need for them to have on record exactly the same test for all the kids...where possible. I guess I'm a bit of cynic about the whole thing.

I am still curious to see how things evolve on the math end of things for him. He has a computation speed issue, mainly involving how fast he comes up with answers; he's rarely actually wrong, but he takes 80 seconds instead of 60 seconds to complete a set of very basic math problems. On the other hand, he does really really well with word problems and every other area they've covered. I think he actually can't perform well under the 'gun' so to speak - I can't tell you how much pain these timed math fact sheets were this year, until we all decided to ignore them, including the teacher (thank goodness!). They were just too discouraging. May be similar to what elh describes.

Thanks again for all the tips and the welcome!

chris1234 #18535 06/27/08 05:22 PM
    Welcome Chris. This is a wonderful support board.

As for being able to solve math problems fast, being able to solve word problems is much more important than doing calculation fast. I would think that it will be less and less important how fast he can calculate with the coming years. Chances are that he doesn't remember some of his math facts and calculates them over and over again (such as using addition instead or remembering his multiplication tables).

LMom
    LMom #19035 07/04/08 02:45 PM
    T
    T
    Hello Everyone!

I posted before actually (finding this) introducing myself. I LOVE the open and honest conversations on this board, as well as the variety of topics people are writing/talking about. Havent found anything like it yet, so Thanks to all of you.

I am mom to DS 10.5, HG. We had the WISC4 done by school, and despite ceiling on 3 subtests, very superior on 2 and superior on 1, average of scores "labeled" him at MG or 130 IQ. Go figure?????? I dont understand and the school personnel had difficulty explaining - needless to say I dont really base a lot on numbers or scores since that experience - I know DS10 is different and amazing, beautiful, quirky, funny, etc. you get me. Also mom to DS7, who is polar opposite from DS10, yet, has his own unique, amazing, gifted characteristics as well. I requested DS7 get tested in K and 1st grade, and although his score increased each yr it is not the magic "130" the state of FL uses for "qualifying".

Ive learned more in the past 4/5 yrs doing intensive research and reading books and even recognized that hey, maybe that coulda been me, a lifetime ago, if anybody was there to care or notice - but cest' la vie. I appreciate the opportunity to be here, to vent, discuss, share, and connect with other moms & dads. I look forward to all I can learn from each of you and hope that I can share something that may help you as well.

~~

tygrlily #19036 07/04/08 02:52 PM
    Welcome tygrlily!!!! About your son's WISCIV scores, did the WMI and/or PSI bring his FSIQ down? If so, did they calculate GAI?

I'd be interested to see the Perceptual Reasoning Index and the Verbal Comprehension Index for both your kids. I'm betting those are above the 130 score, and they should be noted for program inclusion. You could certainly make a case for it!

Kriston
    tygrlily #19042 07/05/08 03:39 AM
    OP Offline
    The 'magic scores' are so frustrating sometimes...you know your ds is truly gifted, but it just doesn't 'show' on a certain test...Our county has the same cut off but luckily also figures in reading level, outside work, etc. (I think this is partly because the test they administer is not quite so detailed as a WISC).
    It added up to mostly looking at achievement rather than potential, which was another thing that irked me since I figured the whole point is to take a child with a lot of potential and help them achieve good or even great things.

Dottie #19046 07/05/08 05:54 AM
    I think our program is a bit secretive as well. All the kids are tested in 2nd grade. It used to be the CogAT but they changed the test this year. The parents are not told the kids are being tested, nor are the parents given the results (and they can't ask if they don't know it occurred). So if the child just missed the cutoff, the parent doesn't know they can go the portfolio route. I only found out b/c of a good relationship with the teacher (and I already knew about the program so I asked her early on if she felt DS would be a candidate, so she knew that I knew about it already) so I phoned about the results of the test. The GT coord certainly seemed shock I wanted the scores but she sent them. Before I asked for the scores, all she said was that son was not *creative* enough for the program. It was only after receiving the scores I found out that he was gifted in math. Now, I wonder how many kids came out this way and a) the parents didn't know about the test, b) the parents knew about it but didn't know enough to ask for the scores, c) knew about it, spoke w/ GT and all she said is "not creative enough," and the parent asked no further questions? I know of another parent where she found out from another parent whose DC got in so she inquired why her son wasn't in it. She went the portfolio route and got him in. It all just seems shady to me, secretive, and behind closed doors. I wonder if this is to keep all the parents, of course everyone think their child is gifted according to schools, from going the portfolio route?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM