Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #184070 03/06/14 10:17 AM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    My daughter is in 6th grade, she is intellectually gifted and has ADHD. She is getting A's on exams and quizzes but ultimately receiving a B for the quarter is some classes. This is due to her being penalized for late homework, and failing "agenda quizzes" (they grade students on agenda, to ensure they write assignments accurately ) Having ADHD she is forgetful and disorganized, and often forgets homework, loses it, etc. I am trying to find out if there is a reasonable accommodation that can help her. If she does not receive a minimum score of 93 each quarter in each subject ( not as a general overall gpa) she will not be eligible for AP/ honors classes next year, which she desperately needs as she is not being challenged academically at ALL! She NEVER has to study and always gets A's she needs to be challenged! Is it fair to grade agendas and deduct points for handing in homework late when a child has ADHD ?

Does she have an existing 504 plan?

What does it document as a "need" related to her ADHD?

I'd think that the answer isn't necessarily to make it so that those things are not GRADED for your DD, but to instead make it so that she has coaching/guidance/scaffolding so that they happen the way that they should.

It's a more long-term strategy. With EF issues of any kind, you have to learn to scaffold for yourself using routine external supports. Until you get there, though, you have to have adults who can help REMIND you to do that stuff. Simply modeling it isn't enough for all kids.

How much reminding/etc. are YOU doing at home with the agenda and homework? If you're already doing all of that-- that is, having a system of organizing, etc with her-- then what is the teacher(s) failing to do on the other side of things?

Ask for homework at the same point each day, remind students about writing down agenda info and providing dedicated class time to do it in, providing the info in both auditory and visual methods... that kind of thing.

Right?

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 03/06/14 11:08 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    She does not have a 504 plan, I am trying to determine if that is necessary? They came up with a behavior intervention plan in which she must have agenda initialed by each teacher at the end of class and signed by us each night. Our involvement with reminding her & reviewing assignments is tremendous! I will drive her back to school if she forgets something, we review, remind, etc... It's truly exhausting....they are going to have her meet with a teacher weekly who specializes in keeping their binders organized, my hope is that between that and our help/monitoring at home things will be ok. Just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to help her, she's getting frustrated and I don't want her to give up when I know she has such potential. Thank you so much for your response, I really needed another persons view on this smile

D
    D
    Agree with HK.

Good that they are trying interventions now. I'd want to formalize it.

A 504 is for accommodations that do not require direct instruction (e.g. extended time on tests). IF your DD had an IEP, you could get push-in services from a special education person who could then teach her the necessary skills. I'd want maybe 10-15 minutes of services at the end of every day to teach the skills (as well as support at any other time that she's struggling), and once she'd mastered the skills, fade the support.

I
    I
    Are you familiar with the National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD)? They offer lots of information, including information on IEPs/504s There is a brief description at this post.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations