Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 307 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Madoosa #174816 11/15/13 09:29 AM
    A
    A
    We have the Snap Circuits 300, I think. We have 2 of their accessory kits. We also have assorted breadboards, resistors, capacitors etc because we have a few electronic hobbyists at home! The SnapCircuits set gets used off and on, and it was easy for DS to build all the circuits in their sample booklet by himself at age 5.

Snapcircuits have become my DS's "signature gift" for birthday parties for the past few years.

The thing that I wan to add is that please make a strict rule in your house for your kids to wash their hands thoroughly after using snapcircuits. This is not an alarmist warning - I just have this warning in place in my home for all electronic components because they inherently contain metals and chemicals that we might not want our kids to touch (for e.g. the leadfree solder we bought for a hobby project actually contained 25% lead when I read the small print ... etc).

Madoosa #174818 11/15/13 09:35 AM
    M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    oh gosh thanks for that Ashley! I will make sure to implement that rule AND print it in the supplier insert when I sell the kits too

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Madoosa #174821 11/15/13 09:43 AM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    oh gosh thanks for that Ashley! I will make sure to implement that rule AND print it in the supplier insert when I sell the kits too

Madoosa, just to make it clear - it is good to be genereally cautious with electronic components because they use heavy metal. I am not saying that Snap Circuits has a problem. I am just saying that it is a good rule of thumb to follow. Please ensure that you say that when you sell the kits because we don't want to offend snapcircuits company, who for all we know make a mercury free, lead free or cadmium free product smile

ashley #174893 11/15/13 02:40 PM
    M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    LOL Yeah I get that totally! Since I am the current sole importer of their goods I really *REALLY* don't want to upset them at all.

A bit about general safety and cautions should be fine though I think - that is kind of along the lines of what I do usually.

Thank you for your care and concern smile

Madoosa #174896 11/15/13 02:57 PM
    My DD got a set as a present from some family friends last Christmas. It is the SC-300. It warms my heart when I recall the happy and amazed look on her face the first time she did the 'flying spinner' (or whatever it was called) circuit. Seeing how she could follow the instructions without help and then perform her own experiments to broaden her understanding is what has convinced me that she might be ready for the EV3...

Become what you are
    #174898 11/15/13 03:12 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by squishys
    Are these safe for babies? I was thinking of getting these for my youngest for Christmas.

If your DS doesn't mouth objects, I'd say go for it. My DS (24mo) LOVES his kit. He has trouble with the single and double links, but he can use his palm to apply enough downward pressure to snap the longer links to the board. The integrated circuit pieces are bigger and easier for small hands. And, nothing stops him from giving me detailed instructions and outsourcing the fine motor work!

I don't know if all kits include the fan- that and the music IC are DS' favourite components.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Madoosa #183689 03/03/14 11:01 AM
    E
    E
    We've finally found the sweet spot between advanced interests and fine motor ability with this toy. DS is obsessed with the SC-100 kit and plays for hours!

Madoosa #183848 03/04/14 03:44 PM
    M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Every single family so far here in South Africa that has bought this kit has e-mailed me to say how much their kids are loving it! Many have ordered more - and I cannot keep stock long enough to even try get demo units out to schools, to magazines for reviews or to retail stores to try get them in there. Since mid december I have sold out three shipments and the fourth is on it's way.

Freaking awesome kits! My kids play with theirs every single day without fail.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM