Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #18346 06/25/08 10:25 AM
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm sorry I don't have a link handy, but you can google standard deviants, go to their own website, and get up to ten VHS tapes for free, just paying shipping. I spent a total of $12 on shipping for my ten tapes this morning. We don't even have a working VCR, but they are under $50 these days, and so I figured it is well worth the small investment. My kids love the SDs.

You just add in this code after filling your cart: FR33VHS

My order was supposed to cost $84 on sale- it would have been much, much more at the original price.

Hi Lorel. Thanks for posting the info on the Standard Deviants tapes. They look great. I tried to order the Standard Deviants VHS tapes on their web site. But when I entered the code (FR33VHS) at checkout, it said that is was not a valid coupon code. Do you have to be logged in or have an account there to receive the special discount? Or am I doing something wrong?

ebeth

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    It did that to me when I had 12 things in my cart, but when I took out the extra two it worked fine.... I did have a litle glitch at some point... I deleted everything and started again, and it worked fine.

Can't beat the price!! Thanks Lorel!

Erica
    S
    S
    We haven't seen any of these. Are there any you recommend to start? Can you tell me more about them, like what their good points are, which ones you like, a series that is better than others, age/ability/interest levels?? Thanks.

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    You do need to have ten items or less, or it won't apply the coupon code and subtract from your total. It seems strange, but they will not permit you to pay for a few items and use the code for others.

Squirt, these are goofy but highly entertaining academic tapes for kids. Think of a clean Saturday Night Live type show, with college students dressing up as explorers, mad scientists, etc. in various skits, while discussing the nuances of microbiology, algebra, hamlet, and Italian, to name a few. My kids have enjoyed them for years, and though they are not enough to stand alone, they make excellent supplements to other coursework.

My kids love the Standard Deviants. We haven't found a bum one yet, and we have watched quite a few, between our small collection and the public library stock we've viewed.

Thank you for sharing this. I also got 10 VHS tapes that I know my kids will love. We got a little bit of everything from math to french to chemistry.

Jen

Q
    Q
    and I couldn't get it to work for me...

Q
    Q
    Figured it out - you have to click on teachers, not students, to start shopping. Then click on clearance and free vhs. Thanks, Lorel.

S
    S
    Here's the site I used and it works just fine: http://www.sdteach.com/default.asp

On the left, click on Clearance and Free VHS. Looks like the limit is 10. I couldn't tell if that was 10 per order or 10 per address of what.

Has anyone received their order? My cc was charged right away, but the order is still "processing". Just curious what happened.

Q
    Q
    Thanks for the reminder. Didn't get ours yet either.

rats. i just tried this and see the free offer expired on 7/6. oh well!

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I have heard a few people in the last few days say that their orders have arrived. I'm still waiting for ours...

No sign of a package for us either yet...

Kriston
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    No sign of a package for us either yet...

I ordered more than a month ago and haven't received my order. My emails to customer service haven't been answered, either.

Is there any hope, or is it Better Business Bureau time?

S
    S
    I know some people who have gotten theirs in the last few days. All of them said that they received them after emailing the company, whether by design or coincidence nobody knows! I emailed about mine yesterday but haven't heard back. Also, a couple people said they got theirs in at least 2 different shipments.

I placed an order too, and haven't seen or heard a thing. I emailed the company a week ago, but it was never acknowledged. I was beginning to wonder as well. Does anybody have a phone number where we can perchance speak with a living, breathing person?

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    I got my order this weekend--forgot to post about it. Sorry.

I never called or e-mailed. It just showed up. I think it is lacking some of the stuff I ordered though. I was waiting to see if more came later or if they billed me for more than what actually arrived before I worried about it.

Kriston
    I haven't received my order and I e-mailed over a week ago. I would like at least a general e-mail explaining a delay. I am glad yours arrived, Kriston.

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm still waiting over here on the east coast. From who's gotten stuff when, I am pretty sure that the distribution center is out west somewhere.

S
    S
    Does anyone have a phone number for these guys? I ordered on June 27, sent an email about a month ago, and still have nothing. I can't find a phone number on the website.

Oh yes! Please, a phone number please!!

I have sent them two emails and have heard nothing. I have searched the web for a phone number and have found nothing. And they have the nerve to continually send me emails of other products to order, all without including vital contact info. No, I don't think so! Not at least until I get my first order.

Hurrmmph!

Sorry I can't help, squirt! I wish that I could. Let me know if and when you receive your order. I ordered on June 26th, and I am in the same boat.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    M
    M
    I don't know if this will help, but I found a phone number for their parent company Cerebellum Corp. It's listed by a 3rd party website, so I don't know if it's valid. The whole company seems to keep their contact info closely under wraps.

Cerebellum Corp
    8352 Terminal Rd
    Lorton, Virginia 22079-1422 County: Fairfax
    URL: www.cerebellum.com
    Phone: 7038480856
    Fax: 7038480857

HTH!
    Kimberly (who is a research geek and likes to find hard stuff online just for kicks...maybe I need a life, lol)

Meh. Life is overrated. Besides, if you go get a life, who will help us find things we need? laugh <3

Oh, and I almost forgot, I got this number from TAGMAX users, I think, who ordered and are similarly peeved. I hesitate to recommend it because I haven't heard anything back from my call, so it may be a bad rec, but it's all I have:

Becky Rena 415-541-9901

If anyone gets any news or credits to their credit card, please let us know! This is ridiculous!

Kriston
    M
    M
    I found an 800# too just now, again, no idea if it's valid

Cerebellum Corporation
    800-238-9669

I read on another list that the company underestimated the number of orders they would receive and ran out of product. From what I understand those who have spoken to the company have received a refund and a coupon for their next order.

Sorry I could not locate the original email so I don't have any more details or a phone number.

Q
    Q
    That doesn't surprise me. They were clearing out old product (VHS) and had a limited supply. Good customer relations would mean at least notifying all of us who placed unfulfilled orders. What galls me is that I continue to receive emails hawking other product. I emailed them off the website, and informed them that if I didn't hear from them, I'd notify AmEx about my and everyone else's missing orders.

S
    S
    I called Becky Rena at 415-541-9901 on 8/27 about my order. I got an email from her today that they are refunding my money as they ran out of product. She also included a code for 25% off another product. I don't know if I'll order or not, the prices are a little steep for me.

So, Kriston, that is a good number and I did get a response. I got no answer at the two numbers that Mama found. I'm disappointed at not getting the videos and also at the poor customer service, but at least now I have an answer.

I just spoke with Becky--amazing!--and she handled it for me, too. She said she had just sent me an e-mail.

Finally!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM