Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    People don't believe kids. I had a public health nurse tell me quite seriously tell me we should ignore kids who say they hate school because they don't mean it.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    don't know what else to do
    Have you read From Emotions to Advocacy?

When emotions are involved, a situation can escalate quickly and even reach a point of no return. Documenting facts of what someone said and did is often recommended. Any statements about what someone thought, felt, or what motivated them may be considered interpretation, projection, allegation, or accusation and may work against the person making the statements. (It may seem to be effective in the short term, but in the long term it may backfire.)

For example:
    "She was really mean to him" may sound to some like an accusation. By contrast, the following reports observable facts of what was said and done: "On MM/DD/YY, Ms. XXX did not look at him when he spoke to her. She did not answer him directly, but spoke of him in the third person while addressing the class. At home after school he reported that he felt publicly shamed."

To elaborate:
    How does one be "really mean"? We get the concept, but like "gifted", it needs to be defined and documented. Not looking at him when he spoke (because it is our cultural norm to do so), not answering him directly, speaking of him in the third person while making the issue public in addressing others... these define "mean" in this situation.

Another example:
    "On MM/DD/YY, while my son's IEP set forth that 'on tasks of two lines or less, DS will be encouraged, but not required, to write independently... ' during a test he approached the teacher to request scribe assistance. The teacher did not assign the para to scribe but told my son to request scribe assistance from the para. My son approached the para to request scribe assistance. Her face, her body language and her tone communicated annoyance and discouragement. She said, 'Seriously, DS? You can't write this by yourself?' She did (or did not?) help him scribe the answer, which was X lines in length. At home after school he reported that he felt publicly shamed. As a parent it is my position that the teacher's failure to assign the para to scribe the written assignment was a breach of the IEP. It is also my position that the actions of the para were discrimination against my son's handicap."

Not sure I have all the pertinent facts here as they were gleaned from several of your posts. But hopefully these examples help illustrate the principle of describing what was said and done in way that is clear, accurate, factual, unemotional, and helps others "see" what happened in chronological order.

Keeping a personal advocacy journal of dated entries may help. Forum rules preclude using this forum as a journal.

As others have mentioned, a new learning environment may be best for all parties involved. Regardless of the school your son attends, you may wish to read up on advocacy and preparing documentation, as those skills may be needed again.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Nice wording indigo! Perfectly put!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    I think I (as a smart ass kid, not something your son has the inclination to do)...would have to start walking over to the para and say loudly to the whole class....I am about ready to ask the para for something that I am legally entitled to and it is a wonderful opportunity for a cooperative learning group...can I have three students who would like to accompany me and be a witness to her response....someone who writes fast will record her answer, someone who understands tone of voice can listen to how she responds, and the third person can confirm. I refuse to speak to her without witnesses anymore because the principal doesn't believe me when I say she shames me....thank you for your support.

LOL

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    What's sick is the culture and from past stuff, it is pretty clear it is passed top-down. I think it is somewhet encouraging that there have purportedly been an increase in AT requests, maybe you are the wedge that is forcing mr. aggressive + passive/aggressive to run his school more non-discriminatingly. I hope you do manage to get out of there.

I know! Thanks, Zen.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    So, Indigo, I sat down and documented the most recent iep violations in the verbiage you used in your post in an email to the team and special ed dir. And now the special ed director wants to talk to me - "assist" me actually. I think your wording was great. I also told them I was revoking my consent for them to bill Medicaid for my son's special ed so that may have got her attention, too. I don't trust Spec Ed Dir (at all) BUT she is the one who stepped in before and smoothed things over when the principal was being such a jerk last year. So it's probably good that's she's contacting me. I don't want to meet or talk to her until I talk with my attorney, tho. I may even have my attorney talk to them/her instead of me at this point. Attorney has been at a conference for the past two days so I haven't even been able to talk to her about all of this yet! Hopefully, I will talk with her tomorrow. But I do think that wording helped! THank you.

I
    I
    While documenting at home, some may have delayed contacting the school until they'd been advised by their attorney, advocate, or legal counsel.

Not doing so may risk a change of focus from the problem you see, to a focus on the parent as a problem. Contacting the school multiple times about the same incident(s) without benefit of advice by your attorney, advocate, or legal counsel may infuse drama or escalate a situation.

While it may be your position that a teacher's or para's actions may have breached an IEP or may have been discriminatory against your son's handicap, your attorney, advocate, or legal counsel may be able to gather additional facts and provide insight as to whether an incident or series of incidents did or did not breach an IEP and/or appear discriminatory against your son's handicap.

A parent wants to be sure that they are not "shooting from the hip". While documenting at home, a parent may wish to review their documentation with their attorney, advocate, or legal counsel and seek their assistance in "choosing your battles".

You may wish to read From Emotions to Advocacy and other advocacy materials and ensure you have prepared sufficiently prior to contacting a teacher/school/district with your concerns.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM