Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #18256 06/21/08 03:16 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Started a new coffee shop, because we can.

What I am thinking is what motivates some gifted people, like Paul Allen and Bill Gates, and what makes them underachievers, as we all hear about -- hence obsessing about schooling here.

What makes them motivated.

I started working again a few months ago and thought I would do this flexible gig, decent money, work from home, pick up DD from preschool and sit on the parents' committee.

I went to a trade show a week ago, mostly to pick up freebies -- toys as promised -- for DD. See this company, not sure what made me stop and start talking. Bottom line, I said I would work for stock, they have very little money. But now I am getting excited and starting the plan.

I got that motivation. Yes, it would be nice to make a kazillion dollars, but it is the puzzle, the implementation that turns on inside, like a new toy. How do you teach that?

And maybe it is specific to personality. But I already see in DD that putting together the pieces, the analyst in her. Just like last week we were coming through the Lincoln Tunnel and she says, (about on-coming traffic) they are going to New Jersey. These cars have already spent time in New Jersey. We are now going to New York. Not something you expect a 3 year old to think about.

But I see her trying to figure out the globe and how it fits together, what are countries, states etc.

Now DH is a risk adverse physician. He can figure things out but it is a different gathering of knowledge. And the path of medical school gets you a job works for his personlity. Creating the job is not his strong suit.

Anyway, just thinking on paper. About that motivational spark. What drives it, how do you foster it.

Have a good day. Have moved myself to the beach and DD gets tennis and swim camp this summer while I ponder my strategy for my little company.

Ren

Wren #18257 06/21/08 07:37 AM
    I think part of it is having the luxury to tinker. Even if a person is a tinkerer at heart, they need time to indulge the impulse.

Have fun with your little company, Ren smile

Cathy A #18263 06/21/08 10:42 AM
    S
    S
    Usually Time and money - in Bill Gates' case, his parents supported him and provided him money for his tinkering.

But, not always - Ben Franklin was a tinkerer and had very little money (even ran away from home at about 16, I think) and had to earn his own way.

#18270 06/21/08 01:56 PM
    K
    K
    I do think there is an interesting equation of optimism vs. ability vs. desire to take risks vs. what exactly motivates a particular personality. I tend to think a lot of it comes from within. I think the best you can do is to give your child plenty of challenges and opportunities of all kinds and trust they will find something that lights their fire. I personally really enjoyed working for a couple very small start ups that could have folded at any time. I'm not sure I could live like that now as a parent though.

Enjoy your new opportunity! Sounds like fun.

kimck #18320 06/24/08 01:42 PM
    S
    S
    Change of topic:

It's so quiet this week!! Is everyone off enjoying summer? Hope so!

squirt #18321 06/24/08 01:46 PM
    Yup. We just got back from vacation.

smile

I still may be pretty quiet (at least for me), since I have lots of catching up to do around the house.

Kriston
    Kriston #18334 06/24/08 09:38 PM
    Just got back from vacation too. Lovely time with out of town relatives. One funny story - niece, age 16, spent a few days with us before the rest of her family arrived in town. We were watching Hairspray, and she said, "wouldn't it be a great world if everyone just broke out into song throughout the day?" Switch to a few days later, when she is reunited with her family (of 6). We were all sitting around chatting, when all of a sudden, the entire family broke out singing the same song! I laughed and related niece's earlier comment. She said, "I guess I knew we did that, but I just thought that was normal, until now..."

Was it "reunited" by Peaches and Herb? That's what popped into my head...

Lorel #18340 06/25/08 06:09 AM
    S
    S
    I immediately saw the old Coke commercial "I'd like to teach the world to sing" . . .

squirt #18342 06/25/08 07:25 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    That is funny Lorel.

Ren

Wren #18350 06/25/08 11:41 AM
    We've been busy with swim team, birthday parties and squirt gun battles. We were on vacation two weeks ago but I think I haven't posted as much because I seem to be mostly outside!
    Hope everyone is having a nice summer with their kids.

Neato

incogneato #18351 06/25/08 11:51 AM
    We're still in school!!!! Friday is our last day, finally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM