Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #181369 02/04/14 11:53 AM
    R
    Rushell Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Hello, I am new to the boards.

My son is 10, diagnosed ADHD at age 5 and again at age 8 when retested. Also identified as gifted after a Kindergarten test at school. Academic (or IQ?) testing at age 8 identified him as average-high average except in processing speed, which was low.

Latest testing (last week), he is still in the high average range on most (OLSAT 104/6 and NNAT 108/6). I questioned why he is in the G/T program. His gifted and talented teacher made the following comments about his scores: "I believe that he is dealing with some struggles at this time that may have impacted his testing. For example, on the OLSAT test, he did well on the questions that he answered, but missed several because he was not able to finish all the problems in the allotted time. This may be due to his ADHD, the time of day I administered the test, if something had upset him prior to coming to see me, etc."

SO - as I always expected, DS is very bright, and identified as gifted, but also has some issues like I personally do (I am ADHD with generalized anxiety disorder). Saying we are a LOT alike is a very true observation!

Now I'm spending hours researching but don't feel I'm getting anywhere.

Bottom line is this - I need to find someone who specializes in ADHD AND giftedness in kids (the 2e kids); just not sure how to find these people!

What we struggle mostly with is emotional control, overactive emotions. The ADHD meds - have tried many, none help. Focalin xr for a time helped him focus in school, but he was a MONSTER at home. Lately (and I've taken him OFF the focalin) his teacher has been complaining about DS's inability to focus. She thought everything was great (no problems at all) beginning of the year. Then we removed the focalin (after a huge 3 hour meltdown), and she noticed changes. Without this med, he is generally calm and somewhat "normal" for the first time in years. Occasionally melts down but NOTHING like it was. He will whine or complain when asked to do something, but then does it. Has good days and bad days, but basically like I said, normal. On meds he RAGES. Screams, hits himself, has broken windows and walls, it's utter rage. During the 3 hour meltdown I listened to what he was screaming and basically it's like he holds it ALL together during the day then basically "throws up" all he has been holding onto (sitting still when he aches so badly to move, being quiet when his thoughts are running crazy through his head) on me (mom) wink Gotta love that.

ANYWAY - during his first several years of life I was undiagnosed and my head was definitely unclear. I just wanted someone or something to "fix" my child. DS and I butted heads a LOT. So I made a lot of things worse. My head is now clear, and I understand medication is not a cure. I just want something to help my child. If meds, ok, but if these are NOT going to benefit him, I don't want them!! Like I said no meds at home, I have a very loving, normal (and sometimes over-intelligent to the fact he confuses me - and I've always been pretty bright myself yet not gifted) child who can ACCEPT the rules and our decisions (unlike before). And oh btw - also has been diagnosed as ODD by his last psychiatrist.

I would also like for someone to take a look at possible anxiety issues. He thinks and worries about things ALL the time. Sleep issues is another problem.

He is currently on abilify (which I don't know if its helping emotions or not, he seems to have a meltdown every evening a couple hours after taking this) and trazadone to help him sleep.

Sorry this was SO VERY LONG. I just felt the need to explain some of our issues so maybe someone can lead me in the right direction. Like I said I've read books, done hours and HOURS of research on 2e, giftedness, adhd, finding the right professional, you name it. I'm just incredibly overwhelmed with ALL the information and don't know where to turn.

Thanks in advance!!

AND - we are in the north TX area, Tarrant county, if that helps.

Rushell

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Rushell
    What we struggle mostly with is emotional control, overactive emotions. The ADHD meds - have tried many, none help. Focalin xr for a time helped him focus in school, but he was a MONSTER at home. Lately (and I've taken him OFF the focalin) his teacher has been complaining about DS's inability to focus. She thought everything was great (no problems at all) beginning of the year. Then we removed the focalin (after a huge 3 hour meltdown), and she noticed changes. Without this med, he is generally calm and somewhat "normal" for the first time in years. Occasionally melts down but NOTHING like it was. He will whine or complain when asked to do something, but then does it. Has good days and bad days, but basically like I said, normal. On meds he RAGES. Screams, hits himself, has broken windows and walls, it's utter rage.

Anxious kids often can't handle a stimulant ADHD med because it makes them alert and tense (therefore more anxious); or they can handle it only if combined with an SSRI to control the anxiety. You should talk to the psychiatrist/prescriber about the effect of the meds as a first step.

I would definitely look into someone who can assess the anxiety formally.

DeeDee

My ds13 was diagnosed with depression around age 8, (due to social issues mainly) and anxiety (due to social issues/feelings of not fitting in/school ) and was very sensitive to meds *always*. Although not adhd /on meds for that, when given asthma meds he would break down in tears over things that just weren't a big deal.
    I've even had this effect myself on allergy meds. It's just awful. I avoid those altogether for him/me or take very very small doses if absolutely necessary. We work with a good allergy/asthma doc to keep an eye on things.

In any event, as school didn't seem to be bringing him any social benefit and seemed to be the touchpoint for most of his issues, eventually we looked towards removing him from the school and homeschooling and after a couple years he is really really a joyful kid all the time. It is a huge relief.
    We did find a social skills course at the time, mainly I think it helped ds see that he really was just somewhere on a continuum of 'normal'. Also the anxiety coaching was helpful; laying out for him some things to do when he would start to worry about stuff: make a list of what you're worried about.
    Within reason, can you do anything about the worry? then make a plan to deal with it and follow through. Also talk about it with adults.
    If you can't do anything about it, then realize this and try to get ok with the fact that worrying about it would not help anything.

Best of luck with your ds!

B
    B
    One place is try looking at local university. My local research university has clinic originally for kids with ADHD, but that has broadened it scope for other diagnoses with similar behaviors. When my DS14 was in 6th grade he had some serious anxiety problems. Screaming in class, shutting down, and trouble controlling his emotions. At this clinic he took a group therapy class with small group of junior high boys that helped a lot. This was expensive, but I feel it did help. The makeup of this group varied, but there were several 2e kids, and he fit in well. All of the psychologists that worked with my DS agreed that he did not fit either a ADHD, or Aspergers diagnosis but he did fit in with the group. He is clearly gifted & was having anxiety and social problems.

Good luck, I would keep looking for a better fit of a psychologist and as the ADHD medications don't appear to work I would give a good thought to using them.

R
    Rushell Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you!

I heard somewhere that when ADHD kids take the stimulants, it makes them more focused and thus more focused on the anxious thoughts, worries that they are having. I'll be bringing this up with the doctor. Our next step is to visit a neuropsychologist for testing. Also I came across an evaluation/report from a doctor we saw that mentioned anxiety issues, stating that she felt that was more of a concern in her opinion than the ADHD. Unfortunately I can't go back to that particular place (LONG wait list, not covered by current insurance, too costly). But it's something I'll take along with me and show the doctors.

I just KNOW in my heart he is having issues with anxiety, fear, etc.

Rushell

B
    B
    try the psychology today link to find a therapist in your zip code. It will be easy to find someone that specializes in adhd/anxiety but it will be harder to find someone knowledgeable about 2e. Maybe send an email to the person and ask?

http://therapists.psychologytoday.c...amp;utm_campaign=PT_Right_Find_Therapist

B
    B
    I'm not sure what kind of stimulant Focalin is but my ADHD DD also has issues with meds changing her behavior. She didn't do well on Adderall and does much better with ritalin (or generic). Adderall made her VERY moody. Ritalin calms her down but also takes away much of her personality, and she has kind of a flat affect on it. However her focus without it is extremely poor and we also get a lot of impulsive behavior. Her mood is a lot better, though. So it's a trade-off. I have to decide whether I want personality or ability to function. I'm about to take her to a psychologist and we will also see a psychiatrist within the same group about the meds. I asked the primary care doc for a referral and this is who she came up with. I am hoping they are competent.

If the med dose is too high, that can cause problems with anxiety, etc. So could it be a doseage issue? Also, when the drug wears off, that can cause a lot of issues for kids (basically they are having withdrawal symptoms). DD does well on Daytrana Patch in terms of that--after the patch is removed it wears off gradually. It also kicks in gradually. It sounds like you have tried a lot of meds, though, so maybe they just aren't right for him.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Rushell
    I just KNOW in my heart he is having issues with anxiety, fear, etc.
    Some families enjoy books and there are many good ones relating to anxiety, fear, perfectionism, emotions... you may enjoy looking at the websites of Prufrock press, Magination Press, Royal Fireworks Press, Great Potential Press, and free spirit publishing.

I recently came across an article and book which may be of interest?

The article, 10 Steps for Parents and Kids to Tame the Worry Monster Daniel B. Peters, Ph.D. on Huff Post Parents, discusses anxiety. Interested readers can sign up to receive updates from the author.

The newly released book, Make Your Worrier a Warrior, (2013, Great Potential Press) authored by Daniel Peters Ph.D., lends expert insight to understanding what a child may be experiencing. This is a book for parents to read with their children and discuss. For example, pages 44-45 suggest that parents may wish to think of acting out as
    a variation of the "fight or flight" response... children couldn't articulate their fears... they were reacting behaviorally because their amygdala, or their emotional brain, was overriding their thinking brain... kids often do not have the emotional vocabulary and/or insight to tell you what is going on...
    Armed with this knowledge, working on helping a child understand nuances of feelings and vocabulary to express their interpretation of what they are experiencing, may prove helpful.

There is also a teen/tween version of the book From Worrier to Warrior, A Guide to Conquering Your Fears, (2013, Great Potential Press) authored by Daniel Peters Ph.D. This is a book for older kids to read on their own.

Many adults enjoy the book Living with Intensity

C
    C
    The Belin-Blank Center at the University of Iowa has a 2E newsletter, I believe, and also may be able to suggest some resources in your area.

S
    S
    You might try calling the Gifted Development Center in Denver and asking for a local referral. I know people travel there for testing and assessment and counseling, but I bet they would know a good resource closer to you. Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations