Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 307 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    It occurred to me after I posted that that is what you meant. DS is not at a level where I would take him to an adult tournament. I think this is probably less appropriate nowadays with the many competitive kids' tournaments available (in some areas), though I couldn't say for sure.

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Ah-- my misunderstanding, evidently.

Surely there is something less derisive than "spoon-feeding" to describe the process of learning in a student who requires-- or merely prefers-- some instruction, though?

Perhaps I just see this as a continuum, with spoon-feeding at one end and total autodidactism at the other. Most of what we call "autodidactic" wouldn't have even been possible a generation ago, given the lack of opportunity and access yesterday's students had in comparison to Gen Z.

After all, perhaps TRULY "talented" individuals don't require anything but their own discovery and cognitive ability to achieve greatness... but it seems a bit much to expect even quite precocious individuals to, say, ignore Newton's work in favor of doing all of their own derivations and inventing notation themselves. Is it being needy to use a textbook to learn from those who have already figured things out? If a textbook is okay, what about a YouTube video? Surely one's own daily environment being enriched or not counts in some way... maybe one can only be truly autodidactic in a cave somewhere, alone with nothing but one's own thoughts, a stick and dirt to write in... wink

Perhaps I just believe that there's something in between because that seems to be the child that I have. Also-- I suspect that because I see all of the inputs (as most parents with 'schooled' students do not), that I can say quite confidently that she requires NOTHING like spoon-feeding, but she could soar a LOT higher than she does if she weren't being expected to learn in a relative instructional vacuum. She really does NOT get instruction from anywhere but a few power-point slides and her textbook. IMO, it shows.

Most here probably WOULD consider her an autodidact if they knew how little instructional input there is for her. I don't consider her an autodidact, because she does BETTER (about 30-40% better, IMO-- raising herself from "highly proficient" to "mastery") with fairly minimal (an hour or two a week) of human instruction.

I think that it significantly and unfairly maligns such students to derisively claim that they need spoon-feeding or hand-holding, or any other patronizing terminology.

I venture a guess that most of the kids who play chess-- even at an elite level-- do so after some instruction on the subject (shocking, I know).

In fact, I'd be willing to guess that most of the kids here who play chess get more CHESS instruction weekly than my DD gets math instruction-- in both of her college-level (dual enrollment) math courses.

So-- does she need "spoon-feeding"? Is this evidence that she lacks math talent? I'd say not. Perhaps she lacks DRIVE in the domain, and this might explain why she is not autodidactic there to the extent that some students are. But her raw ability is a different matter.

As I was posting, I was not thinking of your DD (or any other poster's children). I don't have any opinions regarding your DD (or any other poster's chidlren). I don't know your DD (or any other poster's children). I am just one of the wide range of people who sometimes read and post on Davidson's public internet forum.

I also don't particularly want to change anyone's opinions. I conceded as far as possible in posting that it is possible even for an individual who requires spoon-feeding in a particular area to have talent in that area. After all, just because I haven't seen it within my limited experience doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As for the bit about cave, stick and dirt, I am not sure how that's relevant. Why would you not use available tools to teach yourself? In their areas of potential talent, my children chooses and uses all available tools in their vicinity, including books, internet and confirmation with educated adults.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Re chess coaches and children, I think this is one of these things that's changed with time, much as youth sports have changed and become more intense and competitive with time. Youth chess is also much more popular today than it once was, I believe.

But I'm sure there are at least some kids who do relatively well without coaches, perhaps because their school club or team is very intensive or they study a lot on their own.

You are probably right. I only know Boston well, and that can be quite different from other parts of the country.

M
    M
    I think this is probably less appropriate nowadays with the many competitive kids' tournaments available (in some areas), though I couldn't say for sure.

It's not so much the age as it is the maturity. Some five year kids play just fine in adult tournaments. Some kids much older years are too loud or restless to play.

Q
    Q
    While I don't think one need be an autodidact to possess talent in a field, I do understand what Quantum is getting at. Of my two children, only DD10 has asked deep questions related to math and tried to concoct her own "tricks" and theories regarding math. She clearly THINKS about math. At 3 or 4, she came to us with the observation that some number have "middles" and some do not, and one could classify them that way, and this seemed important. (She had figured out even and odd.)

She is also good at calculation and a strong math student, though not actually highly outstanding. Math is NOT her favorite subject. Yet it's this interest in *thinking* about math which still makes me think that there may be some latent math spark that will emerge in later grades.

DS5, in contrast, has never come to us with any such mathematical musings. He is certainly ahead in math, but I don't see any interest in math concepts or ideas. He knows facts and operations about as well as DD did at this age, but I would be surprised if math ever was a topic of great interest. Yet he is the one with the unusual chess gift.

It's not that DD tends autodidactic and DS does not. They both tend autodidactic.

Yes - exactly this. It makes you wonder how far your DD could go if/when she applies the same mindset and mathematical thinking to cutting edge mathematics. Of course, my other point was it isn't the student (particularly elementary) with the highest grades and standardized test scores who necessarily have the most math talent.

By the way, I personally don't think math talent is 100% correlated with chess talent. At least, that has not been my experience or observation. Of course, I dont have any chess talent so I am not qualify to disect it. I'll leave that to someone like Bostonian who actually knows what he is talking about.

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Glad to be of service. Definitions and standards make a difference. I don't equate high IQ and/or high achievement with math talent. In my experience, it is possible to be both without having math talent and perhaps more controversial, to be without neither (at least not super high) and yet have a certain math talent....Talent is not high IQ or high achievement on standardized tests.

This would seem to be a flaw in the concept of IQ.

By definition, if you have talent in math, you should have a "high IQ".

If you have actualized a talent in math, by definition, you had the potential to actualize the talent, which ostensibly an IQ test would be able to measure.

So, the problem lies with the IQ test, not with the empirical reality of high achievement in an intellectual domain.

Jonlaw, I have pondered this issue in the context of math talent for decades now and still don't have any definitive answers. You are correct that part of the problem may be the IQ test failing to completely capture "true intelligence," whatever that may be. Although my post wasn't clear on the point, I was also thinking about above-average IQ (in the 120's) rather than average IQ. The other issue is that "high achievement" in children is not the same as "high achievement" in a top level mathematician. Of course, high achievement in the latter would confirm talent but I would not automatically assume talent with "high achievement" in children. In my mind, a child's environment and resources make a big difference as well. I would be a heck of a lot more impressed if some disadvantaged kid with uneducated parents achieved the same numbers as DD.

M
    M
    By the way, I personally don't think math talent is 100% correlated with chess talent. At least, that has not been my experience or observation. Of course, I dont have any chess talent so I am not qualify to disect it. I'll leave that to someone like Bostonian who actually knows what he is talking about.

I agree with you that the correlation is not perfect. DS, DD, and I are all strong in math, but only DS is strong in chess. I am average in chess and DD never showed skill in the game.

Originally Posted by mithawk

I agree with you that the correlation is not perfect. DS, DD, and I are all strong in math, but only DS is strong in chess. I am average in chess and DD never showed skill in the game.

I am strong in math, and I've never shown any skill in chess, primarily because I've never shown any interest. Math is fun; chess is boring.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Nah. They're both boring. wink

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM