Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 307 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    We've had some recent discussions about girls and chess. This just came across my desk in my news reader for work:

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2014/01/girls-underperform-when-they-play-chess.html

Interesting and frustrating. I observed at my DS's recent chess tournament that the # of girls got smaller and smaller as the kids got older, with only one or two girls in the K-12 section. My own DD is much better at chess than she generally lets on, though there is a complex situation here with it being her brother's "thing."

Last edited by ultramarina; 02/12/14 05:47 PM.
    C
    C
    Nm

Last edited by cricket3; 01/28/14 11:30 AM. Reason: Off-topic
    N
    N
    They clearly didn't include my eldest in this study. We cannot explain why she is good at chess. She took some after-school chess classes when she was young (maybe K & 1st). While she never entered a tournament, I don't think she ever lost to any kids in elementary.

She isn't very interested in playing, but will play when asked. Last year, as a senior in HS, two kids who are clearly bright (both NMFs, one is definitely PG) asked her to play, and she won against both. While she uses certain opening moves, she has no idea what they are called, so she hasn't really had any coaching.

The article is interesting. Do you have any articles on what makes a good chess player? She is not interested in math and is relieved that she has fulfilled her college math requirement. She has always been good at games where "looking ahead" and anticipating an opponent's moves (several turns in advance) are critical to success. She routinely beat adults at Connect Four in the school after-care when she was 5.

I suspect the study agrees with some other studies I have read about males versus females in competitive environments. There was a good article in Games magazine on this a few years back. Females are just as good (and in some cases better) at games as males, but few possess the strong desire to win and desire to practice in order to be a winner.

My older two (all three are girls) are competitive and have gone above and beyond what others expected of them in their sports given their athletic abilities (average natural ability). I think that girls with a competitive nature probably don't underperform, but you can't really make someone have a competitive nature.

K
    K
    FWIW, both of my girls belonged to our school's chess club at some point. Their coach couldn't understand their erratic performance. DD12, in particular, was the only kid who beat the kid who won the tournament but she would lose to less competant players. When I talked to DD about why she thought that she played better against some players than others. She told me that she played better against people she liked because she wanted to spend more time with them. Against the "annoying boys" and one of the girls that she didn't like, she lost as quickly as she could so she wouldn't have to be with them. DD14 then fessed up that she used to do the same thing.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I think the article is specifically making a point about girls playing BOYS, though. It's not that girls are not competitive--it's that when they play boys, they get it into their heads that they are going to lose (because "boys are better at chess"). So they do, even when favored to win.

I don't know exactly what makes someone good at chess, but judging by my own spectacular ineptitude, I'm pretty sure that spatial skills, and specifically spatial planning and rotation skills, are very important. This is an area where I am significantly below average and probably even LD. I actually think my DD is stronger in math than my DS, at least judging by comparing their math progress and interest at the age of 5/6, but DS is definitely the more gifted chess player.

N
    N
    Sorry, forgot to add that the two NMFs she played are male. She doesn't want to lose to anyone. I know that she and boyfriend senior year were trying to outdo each other on the SAT (and he did "win", but took him 4 tries to her 2 tries).

P
    P
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I think the article is specifically making a point about girls playing BOYS, though. It's not that girls are not competitive--it's that when they play boys, they get it into their heads that they are going to lose (because "boys are better at chess"). So they do, even when favored to win.

It's an interesting study. We are not into competitive chess, but there is a chess club at my children's school, and my 11 year old dd really likes to play chess, yet she dropped out of chess club. Most of the kids in the club were male, the teacher who led the club is male, and the thing that I noticed is there is a different dynamic in how the boys who are in the club act, how the teacher leads etc than the dynamic that is in place when my dd and her girlfriends are together. I think that ultimately, no matter how much fun the challenge of chess was for dd (and she's a fairly competitive personality) - that absence of the casual relaxed chit-chat fun that she enjoys when doing things with her girl friends simply bored her to tears and she quit.

It also brought back memories for me from middle school when I was very reluctant to answer a question for any of the other kids in math, and when I asked questions that I knew the answer to just so I could strike up a conversation with a boy. As an adult I *hate* that I acted that way and wish I'd just been *me*... but there's something about gender roles and math/chess/etc in our society, and I think girls in the early teens in particular are very susceptible to falling into those roles.

polarbear, who went on to become a scientist in spite of my early-teen self smile

Last edited by polarbear; 01/28/14 11:37 AM.
    M
    MES Offline
    M
    Seven years ago, my then six year old dd, loved playing boys at chess tournaments. Her logic based on the discrepancy in numbers between boys and girls was that there were plenty of boys playing but if a girl was playing she must be really smart.

B
    B
    I have the usual Bostonian thoughts about girls, chess, and stereotype threat, but for now let me mention a story about the current under-8 girls' world chess champion, who is also a piano prodigy -- enjoy the videos.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-remarkably-talented-harmony-zhu
    The remarkably talented Harmony Zhu
    by Frederic Friedel
    1/20/2014 – "Did you see the Canadian girl?" Garry Kasparov said to us. "Very impressive!". He was in Al Ain, paying a visit to the World Youth Championship, where a seven-year-old was dominating the under eight group. We check her out and found that Harmony Zhu is not just a great chess player. She is extremely talented in a completely different field – hint: nomen est omen... You will never guess!

L
    L
    Interesting. Chess is VERY popular in our area. DD8 gravitated to chess by K. School chess is dominated by the boys, who outnumber girls by at least 10-1. The chess teacher believes boys are naturally superior at chess (has never said this to ME, but has commented to others). In final class matches, girls compete against girls, and boys against boys. DD has never worked very hard at chess (didn't play much or do the chess puzzles), but has won the small "girls" division more than once. I've always felt she needed to try harder, and that she should be playing against the boys for trophies, too. DS5 recently started chess and won his first large trophy. DD was jealous!!! Now DD is trying at chess...I am letting the healthy competition with her brother work on DD...he he!!!

N
    N
    I still think that most girls are less competitive than boys. They just don't care about winning as much as the boys do. If my eldest ever got into actual chess competition, she probably wouldn't do so well - and I think it does have to do with gender.

For example, about five years ago we were at a State Little League Softball Tournament (division for girls 13-16). (Let's just ignore the fact that Little League is a joke.) There was a Little League Baseball State Tournament at the same complex. All of the kids looked pretty competitive while they were playing. These were the eight top teams in the state. However, what did the players do after the game? The girls wanted to go see the local mall, asked where we were going to eat dinner, got out the phones and started texting. The boys played catch, went to the batting cages, etc.

I'm not saying my girls don't practice to keep up with the competition. There are some days that they practice their sport(s) for four hours. But if they didn't have organized practices, there is no way they would practice that much. Most girls seem to put emphasis on being social and doing a variety of things rather than being really intense in one area.

Look at competitions like Mathcounts - I don't think a girl has ever won at Nationals. Look at the 2013 USAMO winners - not a girl among them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maaorg/8977795239/in/photostream/

This has nothing to do with the potential of girls - there are girls who are capable of winning these competitions - but I think that most lack the intense focus and desire.

Of course, that isn't all bad - the girls may be more well-rounded and can operate well in social situations, which sometimes proves to be more important in the long run.

And I'm a little confused about the original article - if the girl came into the tournament with a higher rating than a boy, what gender chess players did she play in the previous tournament? If girls consistently underperform against boys, then wouldn't their rating slip and begin to reflect that and their future performances would be less and less of an underperformance?

Last edited by NotSoGifted; 01/28/14 04:16 PM.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I still think that most girls are less competitive than boys.

Perhaps. But are they less competitive by nature? Or has it been drilled into them that it is unseemly to be competitive, whereas we encourage it in boys?

And I'm a little confused about the original article - if the girl came into the tournament with a higher rating than a boy, what gender chess players did she play in the previous tournament? If girls consistently underperform against boys, then wouldn't their rating slip and begin to reflect that and their future performances would be less and less of an underperformance?

This seems to be a reasonable question. I didn't read the original article, which one always should.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Scanning the study now--I guess the answer is probably that it's not 100% consistent.

Performance deficits triggered by stereotype
    threat were more likely to appear when the young
    female sample was playing males in more challenging situations. Specifically, females did worse
    than expected when competing against a strong
    opponent (achieving 56% of what would be predicted based on prior ratings), a moderate one
    (82% of expected performance), an opponent
    from a higher grade (73% of expected performance), and an opponent of the same grade(83% of expected performance). This supports the contention that anxiety, arousal, and other
    processes related to stereotype threat only impair performance on difficult, challenging tasks...When competing
    against weaker opponents and opponents from
    lower grades, young females performed about as
    expected or only marginally worse so. This suggests that playing someone perceived as weaker
    or younger may buffer the negative impact of
    playing against a male chess player.

And, of course, girls don't always play boys!-- though I don't know what percentage of players at tournaments ARE girls.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    also of interest:

For the oldest participants in the sample,
    playing against a male opponent did not significantly lower overall performance. One possible
    explanation is that these older players represent a
    select sample that has been immune to the attrition common to female chess players.

and

In the tournaments we examined,
    those females who demonstrated the largest performance deficits were the least likely to play in
    future tournaments and waited longer between
    tournaments if they did play. This fits with the
    notion that stereotype threat can produce disengagement from the threatened domain

yet

males
    who did worse when playing other males did not
    disengage from chess any more than males whose
    performance exceeded expectation

which fits with general findings that men overrate their performance and capabilities while women underrate.

T
    T
    My son's favorite chess books are written by a woman Grandmaster Susan Polgar. My 4 yr old DD is learning chess now too.

D
    D
    Interesting. My 6 yr. old dd is participating in her first ever chess tournament (state qualifier) on Saturday. She can still be kind of silly so I am curious to see how she reacts. My dd is very competitive, in fact she had said that she wanted to stop doing after school chess until she got a giant trophy for having the most points of any rookie in the first half of the year. Now she wants to keep going. Thanks for the discussion--I am not a chess player so it is helpful.

yet

males
    who did worse when playing other males did not
    disengage from chess any more than males whose
    performance exceeded expectation

which fits with general findings that men overrate their performance and capabilities while women underrate.

In order to win you first have to show up.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    I still think that most girls are less competitive than boys. They just don't care about winning as much as the boys do. If my eldest ever got into actual chess competition, she probably wouldn't do so well - and I think it does have to do with gender.

For example, about five years ago we were at a State Little League Softball Tournament (division for girls 13-16). (Let's just ignore the fact that Little League is a joke.) There was a Little League Baseball State Tournament at the same complex. All of the kids looked pretty competitive while they were playing. These were the eight top teams in the state. However, what did the players do after the game? The girls wanted to go see the local mall, asked where we were going to eat dinner, got out the phones and started texting. The boys played catch, went to the batting cages, etc.

I'm not saying my girls don't practice to keep up with the competition. There are some days that they practice their sport(s) for four hours. But if they didn't have organized practices, there is no way they would practice that much. Most girls seem to put emphasis on being social and doing a variety of things rather than being really intense in one area.

Look at competitions like Mathcounts - I don't think a girl has ever won at Nationals. Look at the 2013 USAMO winners - not a girl among them.

This has nothing to do with the potential of girls - there are girls who are capable of winning these competitions - but I think that most lack the intense focus and desire.

Of course, that isn't all bad - the girls may be more well-rounded and can operate well in social situations, which sometimes proves to be more important in the long run.

I would argue strongly that much of this is based on how girls are still socialized today. Marketers wield a lot of power and influence and girls are encouraged from a very young age to be consumers concerned with outward appearance and shopping at the local mall.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted

What you wrote is consistent with my posts in the recent thread on prodigies:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....hly_gifted_vs_prodigy_ho.html#Post180027

B
    B
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I would argue strongly that much of this is based on how girls are still socialized today. Marketers wield a lot of power and influence and girls are encouraged from a very young age to be consumers concerned with outward appearance and shopping at the local mall.
    Companies want to sell to as many people as possible, male or female. If they market different products in different ways to males and females, it's because on average males and females want different things.

D
    D
    For anyone interested in the way that marketing perpetuates stereotypical gender roles and limits our daughters:
    http://www.packaginggirlhood.com/

D
    D

B
    B
    We've had some recent discussions about girls and chess. This just came across my desk in my news reader for work:

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2014/01/girls-underperform-when-they-play-chess.html

Interesting and frustrating. I observed at my DS's recent chess tournament that the # of girls got smaller and smaller as the kids got older, with only one or two girls in the K-12 section. My own DD is much better at chess than she generally lets on, though there is a complex situation here with it being her brother's "thing." I was very pleased to hear that the school chess coach (who also gives lessons during school) is now trying to recruit my DD to the chess team. This is as it should be (though it's totally up to her if she wants to be on the team--right now she doesn't want to) and suggests that DD is finally playing to her ability in class rather than messing around and underplaying. I really read her the riot act about that when I found out she was doing it. Maybe I should have been a bit more relaxed, but as I told her, when she has ability but is faking that she doesn't, she is perpetuating the misconception that girls can't be good at chess.
    From the article:

Rothgerber and Wolsiefer first surveyed 77 female school chess players and found they were familiar with the stereotype that men are better at chess than women (a stereotype reflected in the fact that there is only one woman, Judit Polgár, in the world's top 100 chess players; see pic).

Did the girls who are unfamiliar with this "stereotype" (what I would call a fact) do better against boys than those who were unfamiliar? In other words, does this study asserting that girls underperform because of stereotype threat have a control group? It appears not to, which would make it dubious.

Some of the early work on "stereotype threat" said it was triggered when people from group X were told that members of group X were worse than average at some activity (such as doing math) before engaging in that activity. I've been to a lot of chess tournaments, and sex differences in chess ability are not being discussed before the games begin. This is another reason to doubt the "stereotype threat" explanation for sex differences in chess.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I've been to a lot of chess tournaments, and sex differences in chess ability are not being discussed before the games begin. This is another reason to doubt the "stereotype threat" explanation for sex differences in chess.

I disagree. A stereotype need not be explicitly discussed to affect behaviour. Simply observing a biased sample from the population that is touted as representative alters people's heuristics and behaviours.

There's an endogeneity problem with your idea. Is chess performance the input or output to observing prevailing social norms? Observing just chess outcomes can't tell us the answer, so to conclude a priori that outcomes are highly correlated with ability for both genders is just supposition.

I would caution that we're not truly observing chess ability but, rather, chess outcomes. Ability might factor into observed outcomes but, as with gifted underachievement, the choice of extent of expression of ability is under the individual's control. There is enough evidence that some high IQ girls mask academic ability (that is, play "dumb") to adhere to gender stereotypes and fit in a coed classroom. With the bias toward female teachers, it wouldn't be hard to argue that most clasrooms are biased in favour of female socialization. If chess clubs are disproportionately male dominated, one would expect high-ability girls to self-select away from performing at full ability in even greater proportions than we observe in traditional classrooms because the social gradient is even steeper.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    Many chess tournaments have overall prizes and prizes for women, for example the Gibraltar Masters http://en.chessbase.com/post/closing-gala-in-gibraltar . There is a women's world championship title with a substantial prize, and there are national women's championships as well. At the chess olympics, called "olympiads", there are overall teams and women's teams. There isn't a lot of money in chess, but a woman does not have to be as good as a man to be invited to tournaments and to win prizes. Therefore a belief that the distribution of talent in chess is not the same for males and females (although the distributions definitely overlap) need not discourage a girl from playing seriously. Female tennis players don't give up even though they know the best male players would defeat the best female ones.

A
    A
    That's all and well for the women who self-select to perform at ability, but I would argue it's irrelevant to 5 year old girls looking for a fun outlet for their sharp minds. If the proximal rewards for chess are minimal--a boys' club, teaching skewed to the male mind--girls won't persist in chess, no matter how lucrative professional purses might be. It's the same argument as we see for STEM underrepresentation among females.

To me, that there are separate competitons for women suggests attempts are being made to correct for historical underrepresentation of females in chess and change social expectations in the game and elicit higher female participation rates among junior female chess players.

What does the Markov transition matrix look like between beginner and advanced players of similar ability (not outcome) across genders and ages, though? Are females converting from junior to senior levels at similar or higher rates than males, but with a smaller starting population? Or, is there good gender balance at low levels with an age-linked inflection point where gender balance is skewed for similar ability players? The answers to these questions matter because the get at the underlying causes of the imbalance.

I don't think women's vs men's tennis is an appropriate analogy. There is a very real physical difference re: strength, reach, and speed for men in population averages that drives different outcomes. I'd say a more analogous case is underrepresentation of females in C-suite offices which, like female underrepresentation in chess, is driven by myriad factors beyond raw ability.

D
    D
    Gee I wonder why girls might under perform if the world of chess is populated by those who believe there is any justification for having men and women compete separately. I strongly reject the idea that boys are inherently better at chess than girls. I cannot even believe any credence is given to that position in 2014.

A
    A
    Gee I wonder why girls might under perform if the world of chess is populated by those who believe there is any justification for having men and women compete separately. I strongly reject the idea that boys are inherently better at chess than girls. I cannot even believe any credence is given to that position in 2014.

+1

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Bostonian, did you read the full study? Your objections don't make very much sense in light of their methods. Their point wasn't, "Girls are bad at chess; it must be because of stereotype threat." Their point was, "Girls at certain ages and in certain situations lose to boys at higher than expected rates, statistically--perhaps due to stereotype threat." As I noted earlier, the oldest girls appeared to be somewhat immune to ST, which is interesting. The girls who were most susceptible were younger and were playing older, more highly rated boys (a situation that could be especially intimidating).

Also, if girls are naturally worse at chess and that's why they don't play as much or win as much, I wonder how you explain the fact that there are many more girls playing chess in the younger grades than later on? Do girls get more and more "chess stupid" as they age?

What about your daughter, who plays chess, correct? (And is pretty good at it, IIRC.) It would be hard to know that your dad expects less of you due to your chromosomes.

I suppose if you want to be competitive at chess, you'd have to have the talent and the motivation to win and the ability to perform even when feeling intimidated, etc. Girls who are talented at chess may not have those other factors. No big deal, IMO. Who's to say that getting along with peers isn't more important than kicking butt at chess?

Space_Cadet, this is exactly why we just weren't that concerned when DD lost interest in chess after just a few months of intense interest.
    Could she be good? I think so, yes-- she has great strategic/spatial ability and she's at least EG, so yes.

But she hates winning a zero-sum-game very slightly more than she hates losing one, generally speaking, unless there is some outside factor that makes her "win" mean something larger.

Intimidation isn't a factor for her-- she took a great deal of joy in team LEGO competitions, after all, when she was the only girl, and the youngest in the room as well. It's the one-on-one, win-lose aspect that she doesn't like.

Honestly, given her perfectionistic streak, we haven't felt that chess would be all that good for her, either-- because it reinforces the precise aspects of her binary world-view that MOST need remediation. (In most instances, not coming in "first" place still means success, not failure.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    I strongly reject the idea that boys are inherently better at chess than girls. I cannot even believe any credence is given to that position in 2014.

Why would you automatically reject this idea? Here is one plausible explanation for it.

* Spatial ability is an important part of chess
    * Boys have an higher standard deviation of spatial ability than girls.
    * If the mean of boys and girls spatial ability is the same, then both extremes would be dominated by boys. The boys with high spatial ability would typically dominate girls with high spatial ability when it comes to chess.

There are of course exceptions. I know an extremely talented young girl player, who routinely dominates skilled boys that are a few years older.

B
    B
    Bostonian, did you read the full study?
    The full study is not publicly available, so I am commenting on the write-up.
    Your objections don't make very much sense in light of their methods. Their point wasn't, "Girls are bad at chess; it must be because of stereotype threat." Their point was, "Girls at certain ages and in certain situations lose to boys at higher than expected rates, statistically--perhaps due to stereotype threat." As I noted earlier, the oldest girls appeared to be somewhat immune to ST, which is interesting. The girls who were most susceptible were younger and were playing older, more highly rated boys (a situation that could be especially intimidating).

Also, if girls are naturally worse at chess and that's why they don't play as much or win as much, I wonder how you explain the fact that there are many more girls playing chess in the younger grades than later on? Do girls get more and more "chess stupid" as they age?

Maybe, relative to boys, they do. Girls and boys are more different at age 15 than 5, and the greater differential in running speed at age 15 is not due primarily to socialization. I think it is plausible that puberty increases intellectual differences between the sexes.

What about your daughter, who plays chess, correct? (And is pretty good at it, IIRC.) It would be hard to know that your dad expects less of you due to your chromosomes.

I can be strategically agnostic, replying "I don't know for sure" if she ever asks why most of the best players are male.

When my own daughter tells me that she does not want to be in chess club any more because it's too boy-identified--and I know that she is good and would be an asset to the club--it's pretty hard for me to think there aren't a lot of other girls in the same shoes.

Couldn't avoiding an activity that you would otherwise enjoy because there are too many boys (or girls) doing it be considered sexist? Our local chess club is majority Chinese, with some Indians and fewer whites (most of whom have Russian parents). If someone avoids the chess club because they don't like the ethnic mix, that's their problem, not the club's.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    I strongly reject the idea that boys are inherently better at chess than girls. I cannot even believe any credence is given to that position in 2014.

Why would you automatically reject this idea? Here is one plausible explanation for it.

* Spatial ability is an important part of chess
    * Boys have an higher standard deviation of spatial ability than girls.
    * If the mean of boys and girls spatial ability is the same, then both extremes would be dominated by boys. The boys with high spatial ability would typically dominate girls with high spatial ability when it comes to chess.

There are of course exceptions. I know an extremely talented young girl player, who routinely dominates skilled boys that are a few years older.

I'm skeptical that your premises are correct. But even assuming they are, for argument's sake, how does a characteristic about the extreme tails of the distribution of "ability" (arguably >3sd) translate into a meaningful comment about a gender split in chess participation closer the mean, say +1-3sd, where most players fall? You can't meaningfully infer the expected performance of the gender distribution from the tails.

A
    A
    Maybe, relative to boys, they do. Girls and boys are more different at age 15 than 5, and the greater differential in running speed at age 15 is not due primarily to socialization. I think it is plausible that puberty increases intellectual differences between the sexes.
    Again, you're applying a false analogy and conflating physical differences with cognitive ones. Males are, on average, taller, carry more muscle mass, and have higher VO2max, among other population physical traits, that enable greater running speed than females. What gender-linked morphology is it that you purport makes males superior to females in chess on a population, not individual, basis? I'd like to see some studies to back up your premises which, though repeated in each of your replies, remain unsubstantiated.

Females are also underrepresented in men's public washrooms. Hint: the causality isn't linked to neurological gender differences.

Couldn't avoiding an activity that you would otherwise enjoy because there are too many boys (or girls) doing it be considered sexist? Our local chess club is majority Chinese, with some Indians and fewer whites (most of whom have Russian parents). If someone avoids the chess club because they don't like the ethnic mix, that's their problem, not the club's.
    Actually, it is the club's problem.

The club's goal is to maximize the performance of its constituent members, with minimal input (instruction). If the club has a demographic or ethnographic mix that systematically statistically underrepresents a major group at certain levels (in this case, females), it is in the club's best interest to actively encourage the participation of underrepresented groups. Otherwise, it's truncating the distribution of players it draws from, which limits the expected probability that the average inductee is a high-ability player. The result is, on average, a lower ability team that has less exposure to competing with high ability players, which is to the detriment of everyone involved.

Actively encouraging underrepresented groups' participation is exactly what the highest performing F100 companies do to recruit a workforce of diverse backgrounds and with the best capabilities. If it works for Goldman and Pfizer, why not Main Street School Chess Club? Or, is the motive of the club twofold: maximum performance within a given demographic? Because, to me, it sounds like the latter the way you portray it, Bostonian.

By HR law in most of the industrialized west, if an underrepresented group at a firm is not explicitly encouraged to apply for a given position, discrimination is deemed present because the demographically biased environment creates a hostile climate for the underrepresented applicant. So no, it isn't sexist for a little girl to shy away from a predominantly male chess club, or a little boy to avoid a dance troupe, if the prevailing climate is exclusionary to their demographic group. If countries rightly protect adults from that sort of xenophobic discrimination, why should children be subjected to the same injurious injustice just because their social opportunity set has a less formal legal and organizational structure?!

Val Offline
    Couldn't avoiding an activity that you would otherwise enjoy because there are too many boys (or girls) doing it be considered sexist?

Sexisim is defined as unfair treatment of someone based on sex. I don't think that not joining the chess club fits this definition.

I can see both sides of this debate. On the one hand, I suspect that Bostonian is suspicious of a condition called stereotype threat. Honestly, I am too. I've seen some deeply, deeply bogus studies on the subject. Both studies I just cited were published in Science! These and other papers I've read are pseudoscience, yet are touted in such high places, they make me dubious about the field as a whole.

Which isn't to say that sexism doesn't exist. Of course it does. Women haven't succeeded historically in countless areas for the simple reason that they weren't allowed to. My husband's mother wanted to be a fighter pilot, but it wasn't allowed. My aunt kept her job after she had kids (1950s) and suffered all kinds of abuse for being a "working wife." I mean, women weren't even allowed to vote until less than 100 years ago. And then there are African-Americans (and Hispanics), who are STILL having trouble casting a ballot. This is not "stereotype threat." This is a locked door.

People have earnestly debated whether or not the country is ready for a female (or African-American) president. Etc. The problem isn't necessarily that women or members of a variety of ethnic groups are less capable. It's that other people either see them that way or (IMO) don't want to have more people to compete with. Or...maybe a lot of them can't handle the idea that people they thought were inferior to them...aren't. shocked And a lot of these individuals either make decisions or have a high-profile soapbox to shout from.

So I can be as tough as nails and incredibly confident in my abilities, but that won't be worth a nickel if the people who run the male-dominated club don't want me around because I'm a girl. Oh, they may not say so directly, but I'll get the message when they don't look at me when they're talking and don't acknowledge what I say.

No, all men aren't like that. But a lot are.

Last edited by Val; 02/10/14 09:48 PM. Reason: ETA....
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    I'm skeptical that your premises are correct. But even assuming they are, for argument's sake, how does a characteristic about the extreme tails of the distribution of "ability" (arguably >3sd) translate into a meaningful comment about a gender split in chess participation closer the mean, say +1-3sd, where most players fall? You can't meaningfully infer the expected performance of the gender distribution from the tails.

Ok, which premise do you doubt?

Do you doubt that there is a difference in spatial ability between boys and girls? My understanding is that spatial ability is a reason why the strongest boys still do better in math than the strongest girls, even though girls are generally doing better in school than boys these days.

Do you doubt that spatial ability is important? My son wouldn't use the term spatial ability, but he would tell you that his ability to look 8-9 moves into a position helps him win a lot of games.

For the final part, consider the reason that Malcom Gladwell gave as to why a disproportionate number of professional soccer players are born in January, February and March in his book Outliers. His explanation was that because these were the oldest kids in their class, they were more slightly more talented than the others. They received more coaching over time, which continually increased their skill levels over their slightly less capable players. The less skilled players dropped out as competition increased, leaving a disproportionate number of players born in the first three months of the year.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    My understanding is that spatial ability is a reason why the strongest boys still do better in math than the strongest girls, even though girls are generally doing better in school than boys these days.

Re girls and math, I believe we've been through this before--but as a refresher course, and from memory (so I may be off slightly), girls now outperform boys, on average, on standardized math tests in elementary schools. There has also been a MASSIVE improvement in their performance on the SAT and on other measures with higher ceilings over the last 30 years--truly massive. The number of women majoring in math has skyrocketed as well.

On measures that assess the really high ends of math performance, I believe boys used to outscore girls 20 to 1, but now it is 4 to 1, and in some countries and populations, 2 to 1. International studies show that the # of girls who compete in extremely elite math competitions varies wildly by country and in fact, appears to correlate somewhat with the situation for women in that country.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't completely reject the possibility that boys and girls (men and women) have some innate differences in verbal and spatial abilities, but we have NO ABILITY to know what those differences are yet due to entrenched sexism. There is NO REASON to assume that we have suddenly, just NOW, reached the point where sexism doesn't matter and all of that has fallen away to show us true natural abilities. People thought that in the '80s, when boys were outscoring girls 20 to 1. Please.

Anyway...regarding chess. As aquinas has eloquently stated, the differences in the tails in no way explain the gross inequities in mass representation at chess clubs and competitions.

And for an example in my own life, my father taught both of my brothers to play chess, but not me. Now, maybe he suspected I would be bad at it (I am). But while one of my brothers likes the game, the other is just as incompetent and uninterested as I am (he's a words person, like me).

U
    OP Offline
    U
    suppose if you want to be competitive at chess, you'd have to have the talent and the motivation to win and the ability to perform even when feeling intimidated, etc. Girls who are talented at chess may not have those other factors. No big deal, IMO. Who's to say that getting along with peers isn't more important than kicking butt at chess?

Getting along with peers is certainly important. And I'm not especially competitive myself. But I don't think I would say this is "no big deal." In a world where men are still the politicians, the CEOs, etc, I think we need more women who are motivated to win and to perform when intimidated. It should not be "unfeminine" or seem embarrassing (as I think it sometimes does to my DD) to dominate at the chessboard.

One thing about chess is different than almost all other games that children play: there is absolutely no luck involved. (Well, okay...there is whether you get white or black, and at a tournament, the pairings involve a bit of luck.) If you win, you win on skill. And you must be aggressive. I agree that this can be hard for girls, who are socialized not to behave this way. I disagree that it is not a valuable skill. It's certainly not THE ONLY valuable skill.

A
    A

Ok, which premise do you doubt?

Do you doubt that there is a difference in spatial ability between boys and girls? My understanding is that spatial ability is a reason why the strongest boys still do better in math than the strongest girls, even though girls are generally doing better in school than boys these days.

I do, for the reasons ultramarina has elucidated. It's the classic problem of inferring ability from outcomes without adequately cotrolling for confounding factors. The studies that attempt to tease out gender differences in ability don't control for socialization or prevailing gender norms, for example. To see such a profound change in the gender ratio over time suggests I'm correct that the causal factors haven't been properly modelled yet in the literature.

So do I believe studies have found a gender difference in spatial skills? Sure. Do I think the studies have actually measured what they purport to measure, in a ceteris paribus way, with a level of statistically significant precision? Absolutely not. I would be very hesitant to make such sweeping generalizations on such a shaky empirical basis.
    Do you doubt that spatial ability is important? My son wouldn't use the term spatial ability, but he would tell you that his ability to look 8-9 moves into a position helps him win a lot of games.

It's reasonable to think spatial ability is important to chess performance. However, your argument logically relies on spatial skills being the prime determinant of ability. I don't think that assumption is reasonable. It sounds like you have one piece of data and are trying to fit the argument to the data.

For the final part, consider the reason that Malcom Gladwell gave as to why a disproportionate number of professional soccer players are born in January, February and March in his book Outliers. His explanation was that because these were the oldest kids in their class, they were more slightly more talented than the others. They received more coaching over time, which continually increased their skill levels over their slightly less capable players. The less skilled players dropped out as competition increased, leaving a disproportionate number of players born in the first three months of the year.

It could be rational that clubs will disproportionately apportion resources to the highest ability players.

I have to question the underlying goal of chess clubs, though. Is it to nurture talent at the very top, or to maximize performance across all members? I would think some combination of the two has the most value for both the highest ability players and society.

For the reasons I discussed above, I think chess clubs' reaction function is off. That is, I think they've mis-calibrated their target (boys, at the exclusion of girls) and are optimizing over the wrong set.

There is a benefit to society at large, I think, to having children accustomed to thinking strategically. Why game theoretic thinking isn't taught in school is beyond me. But then, I have a graduate degree in game theory.

Well, I will just share my perspective as a very talented, female Millenial. I left a good career track in a STEM profession to be a SAHM and volunteer. This disappointed many people, including my parents, who felt that I was not "living up to my potential." I was also told things like, "Women should work."

I am sure some social scientist could come along and make the case that I am not "reaching my potential" because of "social or cultural forces." But if you ask me, I would say that I logically weighed my options, acted according to my own set of priorities (which may or may not be influenced by my gender), and I'm happier than ever.

I have a lot of admiration and gratitude for the work that female activists have done in the past generations. But maybe the pendulum has swung in the other direction, in some areas. Really, it is not a smart girl's duty to defy stereotypes any more than it is her duty to fulfill traditional gender roles.

Purely anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth, but I'm an HG male whose cognitive strength is spatial ability, and my DD's spatial abilities test higher than my own.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I have to question the underlying goal of chess clubs, though. Is it to nurture talent at the very top, or to maximize performance across all members? I would think some combination of the two has the most value for both the highest ability players and society.

+1. And let's not forget that having fun and enjoying the game is part of it as well.

It's sort of amusing to think of chess as a sport, but there are many similarities. Ideally, you learn to persist, to win and lose gracefully, and to practice and refine your skills to achieve more success. IMO, children's chess should be somewhat similar to children's sports. It should be open to and fun for anyone who is interested, with the opportunity for better/more interested players to compete at higher levels. It shouldn't give off the vibe that it's only for genius children or boys or math whizzes. It's been shown to have some really great benefits, in fact, so making it more accessible to all children seems to be a win-win to me (and continuing to position it as a "boy genius" thing is concerning).

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Really, it is not a smart girl's duty to defy stereotypes any more than it is her duty to fulfill traditional gender roles.

No, it's not--and I would never dream of requiring my DD to join the chess club. However, it's a little depressing to hear her talk about why she doesn't want to join it, and I do feel it's my responsibility to have that conversation so she gains a bit more of a nuanced understanding of her behavior and what it might reflect about the world at large. (I don't worry about my comments pressuring her unduly, as she is a wildly independent person.) She's a bright child. It's of interest to her, and it should be.

She has not joined the club, but she has stopped playing "silly chess" during class chess games.

D
    D
    My understanding is that spatial ability is a reason why the strongest boys still do better in math than the strongest girls, even though girls are generally doing better in school than boys these days.

Re girls and math, I believe we've been through this before--but as a refresher course, and from memory (so I may be off slightly), girls now outperform boys, on average, on standardized math tests in elementary schools. There has also been a MASSIVE improvement in their performance on the SAT and on other measures with higher ceilings over the last 30 years--truly massive. The number of women majoring in math has skyrocketed as well.

On measures that assess the really high ends of math performance, I believe boys used to outscore girls 20 to 1, but now it is 4 to 1, and in some countries and populations, 2 to 1. International studies show that the # of girls who compete in extremely elite math competitions varies wildly by country and in fact, appears to correlate somewhat with the situation for women in that country.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't completely reject the possibility that boys and girls (men and women) have some innate differences in verbal and spatial abilities, but we have NO ABILITY to know what those differences are yet due to entrenched sexism. There is NO REASON to assume that we have suddenly, just NOW, reached the point where sexism doesn't matter and all of that has fallen away to show us true natural abilities. People thought that in the '80s, when boys were outscoring girls 20 to 1.

I believe study authors have been trying their best to separate the genetic and social/cultural aspects of the gaps. Wasn't there a study recently posted to this forum indicating that the greater male variability in mathematics already existed in kindergarten? Hasn't it been shown that the female offspring of women with STEM jobs don't fair any better in math classes than their matched female peers?

As a poor boy who grew up in the 80's and 90's with little going for him but a rare ability in mathematics, I found the focus on female and minority performance disheartening. It's frustrating to see greater enthusiasm for someone you could best on your worst day than there is for you. The message ingrained in my head growing up was that my teachers, administrators, and society in general lamented the fact that I was better at math than my female and minority peers. Even though I grew up poor and came from a broken home, everyone would have been happier if the well-off girl with married parents could have bested me.

There is a pendulum here regarding the push for or against performance of underrepresented demographics. Unfortunately, there's really no way to tell exactly where the pendulum is. In my experience, there has been a significant push to help underrepresented demographics in their math performances, and this push has still failed to equalize results at the top. Ultramarina seems convinced that female students are still experiencing sexism against them, and extrapolates from the current trends that more equality is to come. I seem to recall that the latest research indicates that females peaked relative to males a while ago now, but maybe there will prove to be a resurgence.

I'm not posting this to be argumentative. It's an interesting subject to me, particularly as a father of both a son and a daughter. If they have equal talents, shouldn't those talents lead to equal excitement and equal opportunities? For my own part, it will. My daughter is 4 and I am already playing strategy games with her, and have exposed her to chess. I don't expect such parity outside of our home, however.

A
    A

+1. And let's not forget that having fun and enjoying the game is part of it as well.

It's sort of amusing to think of chess as a sport, but there are many similarities. Ideally, you learn to persist, to win and lose gracefully, and to practice and refine your skills to achieve more success. IMO, children's chess should be somewhat similar to children's sports. It should be open to and fun for anyone who is interested, with the opportunity for better/more interested players to compete at higher levels. It shouldn't give off the vibe that it's only for genius children or boys or math whizzes. It's been shown to have some really great benefits, in fact, so making it more accessible to all children seems to be a win-win to me (and continuing to position it as a "boy genius" thing is concerning).

Ultramarina, ITA with everything you've said here. Definitely enjoyment is key; probably more important than proficiency in my book.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Wasn't there a study recently posted to this forum indicating that the greater male variability in mathematics already existed in kindergarten?

I don't remember this--but if it is the case, be aware that studies have also shown that parents (actually, specifically mothers) talk to and engage male toddlers more often on the subject of math than female toddlers. Male children are also given construction toys far more often than girls.

Actually, if we want to consider why boys might have an edge on girls when it comes to spatial skills, we might look to what toys we push on the two genders. There are studies showing that early exposure to simple building blocks is really important.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    Well, I will just share my perspective as a very talented, female Millenial. I left a good career track in a STEM profession to be a SAHM and volunteer. ...

... I would say that I logically weighed my options, acted according to my own set of priorities (which may or may not be influenced by my gender), and I'm happier than ever.

I have a lot of admiration and gratitude for the work that female activists have done in the past generations. But maybe the pendulum has swung in the other direction, in some areas. Really, it is not a smart girl's duty to defy stereotypes any more than it is her duty to fulfill traditional gender roles.

I don't think anyone has a duty to defy or fulfill traditional gender roles. People should make their own decisions based on their abilities on desires, not what someone else expects of them.

But...there's another side to the coin you've described. You make it sound so wonderful that you made a personal choice and you're so happy and it's all great. But what about the wider consequences?

It's well known that a lot of women enter graduate schools, professional schools, or jobs knowing or considering that they're going to leave the workforce when they have children. Unfortunately, this practice is so common, it leads to hiring managers getting cynical, as in, "She'll quit as soon as she has a baby." So maybe they don't want to hire or promote other women of childbearing age because of fears of making a bad investment. And then there is the question of the grad and professional schools allotting scarce places to women who, ultimately, won't be really using their educations.

Yes, I know that you can teach your kids and etc. etc. But that's not the same and it doesn't require a graduate or professional degree.

I understand that some people have NO CHOICE but to quit a job because something about the child demands it (e.g. health reasons). This is very different from deciding --- AFTER a lot of resources have been invested into you --- that you want to opt out. And I understand that people change their minds. But I think it's important for women in general to understand that every time a woman talks about how happy she is to have left the workforce after a lot of education, there are consequences for others. And the stereotypes we're talking about here are among them.

Originally Posted by Val
    It's well known that a lot of women enter graduate schools, professional schools, or jobs knowing or considering that they're going to leave the workforce when they have children. Unfortunately, this practice is so common, it leads to hiring managers getting cynical, as in, "She'll quit as soon as she has a baby." So maybe they don't want to hire or promote other women of childbearing age because of fears of making a bad investment. And then there is the question of the grad and professional schools allotting scarce places to women who, ultimately, won't be really using their educations.

"Scarce places" in "grad and professional schools"???

Last time I checked we had quite an oversupply of Ph.D'.'s and J.D.'s.

Val Offline
    Lower tier law schools, maybe. But places for science grad students are limited. So are places in med school, dental school, and pharmacy schools.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    Well, I will just share my perspective as a very talented, female Millenial. I left a good career track in a STEM profession to be a SAHM and volunteer. ...

... I would say that I logically weighed my options, acted according to my own set of priorities (which may or may not be influenced by my gender), and I'm happier than ever.

I don't think anyone has a duty to defy or fulfill traditional gender roles. People should make their own decisions based on their abilities on desires, not what someone else expects of them.

But...there's another side to the coin you've described. You make it sound so wonderful that you made a personal choice and you're so happy and it's all great. But what about the wider consequences?

Yes, I know that you can teach your kids and etc. etc. But that's not the same and it doesn't require a graduate or professional degree.

I understand that some people have NO CHOICE but to quit a job because something about the child demands it (e.g. health reasons). This is very different from deciding --- AFTER a lot of resources have been invested into you --- that you want to opt out. And I understand that people change their minds. But I think it's important for women in general to understand that every time a woman talks about how happy she is to have left the workforce after a lot of education, there are consequences for others. And the stereotypes we're talking about here are among them.
    What are the wider consequences of brightest women being just as career-oriented as the brightest men? Statistically, more loneliness and fewer children, likely children who would be bright since intelligence is highly heritable and because bright women tend not to mate with dummies. Here is an article illustrating this tendency.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/business/economy/04leonhardt.html/
    A Labor Market Punishing to Mothers
    New York Times
    By DAVID LEONHARDT
    August 3, 2010
    The last three men nominated to the Supreme Court have all been married and, among them, have seven children. The last three women — Elena Kagan, Sonia Sotomayor and Harriet Miers (who withdrew) — have all been single and without children.
    I am not saying gifted women should not work, but when they are so ambitious that they have few or no children, that has real costs to society, which should be weighed against their career contributions. The same could be said about gifted men, but empirically the trade-off between career success and number of offspring is smaller for them.

M
    M
    Let's back up for a bit. This conversation veered off with deacongirl's statement:

This reminds me of my conversation with a Harvard grad a few years ago when the conversation of Larry Summers came up. This alum said that Larry was getting crucified about his comments about men vs women because what he said was unpleasant, and even worse, it was also true.

By the way, this Harvard grad was a woman. Like many Harvard grads I know, she didn't think much of the Fine Arts faculty, stating that most wouldn't even qualify to be students there these days, but I digress.

The problem I have with deacongirl's statement is that, as educated people, these statements should not be off limits, but instead should be evaluated on the basis of evidence.

As a father to both a boy and a girl, I have no interest in this being true or not true. I simply gave reasons why it is plausible based upon a widely accepted difference in spatial ability between boys and girls. And the response I have gotten back is that you think the studies are invalid. Possible, but wouldn't there be numerous recent studies pointing the other way by now?

Aquinas, when I talk about the importance of spatial ability in chess, I speak as the father of a child who has achieved national level success in the game, who is coached by a former US champion, and who knows some players that compete successfully at the international level. Spatial ability is not the *sole* required talent, but it is an essential one.

Val Offline
    I think maybe the point of that article was that the workplace needs to be reformed, not that gifted women should stay home or should curb their ambition.

The best hope for making progress against today’s gender inequality probably involves some combination of legal and cultural changes, which happens to be the same combination that beat back the old sexism. We’ll have to get beyond the Mommy Wars and instead create rewarding career paths even for parents — fathers, too — who take months or years off. We’ll have to get more creative about part-time and flexible work, too.

A solution like this probably reduce the number of women who opt out entirely.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Here's an interesting finding on spatial skills:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/0...ity-by-playing-more-boy-games/53560.html

I thought I'd point out a couple of things about the spatial skills gap, which I believe has been corroborated. Number one is that it is a small gap, IIRC. Number two is that there is quite a bit more to math than spatial skills (IIRC, girls actually have better arithmetic skills on average, which we don't seem to be crowing about as proof that girls possess natural math superiority). Number three is that with all findings like these, you must remember that a small average group difference is often damagingly misleading in terms of what it means in the real world.

I'll also point out that the findings on girls' superior verbal skills haven't seemed to translate into most famous authors being women (and the world vociferously defending that as the natural order of things). Hmmm. It seems this "natural superiority" thing isn't destiny, eh?

D
    D
    I'll also point out that the findings on girls' superior verbal skills haven't seemed to translate into most famous authors being women (and the world vociferously defending that as the natural order of things). Hmmm. It seems this "natural superiority" thing isn't destiny, eh?

I wouldn't assume that verbal skills differentiate the best authors. I've heard it said that people are best at writing what they know. If that's true, then knowing about the kinds of things that people want to read about gives you an advantage. Hemingway comes to mind, for example.

I simply gave reasons why it is plausible based upon a widely accepted difference in spatial ability between boys and girls. And the response I have gotten back is that you think the studies are invalid. Possible, but wouldn't there be numerous recent studies pointing the other way by now?

No, for the simple reason that it's just not possible to control for all the cultural factors, so you can't do a study using a control group that does not exist.

However, we DO know that cultural attitudes about gender stereotypes have been changing over time, and we've seen that the performance gap changes over the same time period. We also know that cultural attitudes about gender stereotypes are different from culture to culture... and sure enough, we find that the performance gaps reflect those different attitudes as well.

So basically, we've proven beyond reasonable doubt that stereotypes play a significant role in gender differences in math, and in chess. We know that as attitudes skew closer to equality, the performance also skews closer to equality. That's a closed case.

All that's left now is to hypothesize about an imaginary culture in which no gender stereotypes exist, would some biological factor pre-select males for dominance at the very highest echelons of math and chess?

My hunch is: no.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I simply gave reasons why it is plausible based upon a widely accepted difference in spatial ability between boys and girls. And the response I have gotten back is that you think the studies are invalid. Possible, but wouldn't there be numerous recent studies pointing the other way by now?

No, for the simple reason that it's just not possible to control for all the cultural factors, so you can't do a study using a control group that does not exist.

However, we DO know that cultural attitudes about gender stereotypes have been changing over time, and we've seen that the performance gap changes over the same time period. We also know that cultural attitudes about gender stereotypes are different from culture to culture... and sure enough, we find that the performance gaps reflect those different attitudes as well.

So basically, we've proven beyond reasonable doubt that stereotypes play a significant role in gender differences in math, and in chess. We know that as attitudes skew closer to equality, the performance also skews closer to equality. That's a closed case.

All that's left now is to hypothesize about an imaginary culture in which no gender stereotypes exist, would some biological factor pre-select males for dominance at the very highest echelons of math and chess?

Mithawk, I'd reply, but Dude hit on the major points I've have made anyway. He summarized the discussion beautifully to boot.

The problem I have with deacongirl's statement is that, as educated people, these statements should not be off limits, but instead should be evaluated on the basis of evidence.

Your assertions are open to discussion; we're discussing them now. I fail to see how they're off limits. They have been evaluated on the basis of evidence, were found lacking, and the conversation is moving on to more fertile topics.

Incidentally, congrats to your children on their chess tour success!

B
    B
    Your assertions are open to discussion; we're discussing them now. I fail to see how they're off limits. They have been evaluated on the basis of evidence, were found lacking, and the conversation is moving on to more fertile topics.
    It is presumptuous to write as if the forum has reached a consensus around the views that you hold. I certainly don't think I have converted everyone to my views.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Here's a short summary from a January 2014 metaanalysis on what we currently know about sex differences regarding cognitive tasks. It's rather nuanced. I have to insert the disclaimer that I know nothing about any agenda on the authors' parts.

What cognitive tasks show sex differences?

Some spatial tasks such as mentally rotating 3D objects show the largest sex differences, favoring men by ∼0.5–1 standard deviations [26]. Much research has understandably focused on spatial tasks that show large sex differences, but this focus does not address how typical male advantages would be on a fuller range of spatial tasks. For instance, despite their presumed demands on spatial processing, geometry problems on mathematics tests typically show small-to-nonexistent sex differences 13 and 77.

Task characteristics influence spatial sex differences. For instance, male advantages in mental rotation are larger when the task involves 3D objects versus 2D objects [26] and has strict time limits versus no time limits [25]. However, other task differences are less well understood, such as why mentally rotating objects shows sex differences but mentally folding paper does not reliably (see Figure 1 in main text) 26 and 112. For instance, Harris and colleagues recently reviewed comparisons between mental rotation and mental folding, finding evidence for many similarities in the underlying cognitive processes [112]. That review paper speculated that the differences in male advantages may reflect task differences in requiring rigid versus non-rigid transformations of objects, but noted that current evidence is limited.

At least one spatial task (remembering object locations) moderately favors women [22]. This finding aligns with small to moderate female advantages on some memory tasks such as remembering object identities, faces, and lists of words and numbers 11, 18 and 22. Some other memory tasks show more mixed findings 17, 19, 20 and 21. For instance, when described as a test of geometry ability, a task involving recalling an abstract spatial diagram showed differences favoring boys (d = 0.51) [20]. However, when described as a test of drawing ability, the task showed differences favoring girls (d = 0.50). This study (n = 199) [20] replicated two earlier studies [19].

Sex differences in average mathematics test performance tend to be small to nonexistent 13, 16 and 77, although boys outnumber girls among high performers (e.g., top 1% or higher) in most but not all nations 9, 10, 16 and 78. These differences often do not reliably differ by task characteristics (e.g., geometry versus non-geometry problems), although girls sometimes slightly outperform boys on problems requiring algebraic solutions or short-answer responses 13 and 77. These small female advantages for algebra and short-answer problems align with findings regarding verbal tasks. For instance, girls outperform boys in reading across the globe (∼0.2–0.6 standard deviations) 11, 16 and 79. These female advantages are larger among lower-performing students 16 and 79 and are even larger for writing tasks [11].

Research conducted in the 1970s to 1980s suggested an alarming finding that boys outnumber girls 13 to 1 among American students with exceptional mathematics talent [9]. However, this tail ratio has dropped to about 2–4 to 1 in recent years, according to both self-selected [9] and nationally representative samples [10]. Sex differences in average mathematics test performance also decreased during the 1970s to 1980s 11 and 12 and have since remained small to negligible 10 and 13.These changes over time have led some scholars to conclude that cognitive sex differences are disappearing. However, the data indicate nuanced trends. For instance, the overrepresentation of males among high mathematics performers decreased during the 1980s, but has not been decreasing since the 1990s 9 and 10. Since at least 1990, girls have earned higher mathematics grades by approximately 0.1–0.2 Grade Point Average (GPA) points [14]. Other data also indicate complex findings. Earlier meta-analytic evidence suggested few sex differences in verbal abilities [15], but recent analyses of large-scale international assessments call for reexamination of this claim. In an analysis of 1.5 million children's reading achievements, girls outperformed boys in all 75 nations in all testing administrations (in total, 213 independent samples) [16]. These sex differences were moderately large in 55% of cases (0.36 ≤ d < 0.65) and may be increasing over time. Small-to-moderate female advantages are also consistently found for some but not all memory tasks ( Box 2) 11, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22. Male advantages are found on some but not all spatial tasks ( Figure 1) 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26; cross-temporal trends on spatial tasks are mixed

Other studies have shown that spatial ability, in particular, is quite "trainable." Hence, GoldieBlox.

Personally, I'm not tempted to conclude anything particularly sweeping from all of these findings. Some differences appear to exist at this time in some situations. It varies by country. It has changed drastically over time. Even within a skill ("spatial tasks") we have some areas where the stereotypical pattern is not found. And we have the interesting finding that girls who identify less with a "feminine" identity are better at these skills. (Who knows why? This could be biological, or it could be environment/personality, or a combo.)

Q
    Q
    This has been an interesting discusssion. At times, it called to mind the story about blind men arguing about an elephant. Personally, I agreed with many different people who appear to disagree with each other.

While the average visual spatial ability may be higher for males versus female, it hardly explains the disportionate gender particpation at a base level chess club. At the same time, I do believe the gender disparity at the top (national/international competition level)is partly due to the disparity in visual spatial ability at the extreme tails. I have read about this phenomenon in so many sources that I have trouble pin-pointing the original studies but I believe Dr. Stanley (father of above-level testing, SET creater, etc.) is one of them. Apparently, the fact that males are more genetically vulnerable (to disorders, etc.)is tied in to the higher occurrence of "extreme" visual spatial/mathematical ability in males versus females. Even as recently as three years ago when DS and DD took the SCAT as 2nd graders through Hopkins, the charts for quantitative scores were considerably different at the very top for males versus females 2nd graders.

I am a female who attended excellent schools and was always the top math student in her grade until college. I know that I was better than at least 99%+ of males in mathematics but the truly extreme math abilities in my encounters have all been male. In other words, I have met males who were above my league but I have not met any females who were (although I am sure there are some).

The disparity in gender participation at base level chess club and local level math competitions could be partly innate personal characteristics and partly cultural indoctrination. I have a DS and DD who are the same age and there is a huge stereotypical difference in their math and chess abilities, but that is neither here nor there as that is a single anecdotal example. Interestingly,notwithstanding DS' vastly superior math ability, my DD, who is very artistic, actually has the superior visual spatial ability and working memory. What struck me recently was the realization that DD was taking it easy and purposely not trying to win during the first couple of weeks when she was competing against her girl classmates at 24 (a math game/competition that relies heavily on working memory and processing speed) but she beat her whole group (including one of the top players) when the coach changed her group to all boys the following weeks.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 02/11/14 01:34 PM.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Regarding the extreme tails, I mentioned this earlier, but will drop the actual study here:

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/22/8801.long

Abstract

Using contemporary data from the U.S. and other nations, we address 3 questions: Do gender differences in mathematics performance exist in the general population? Do gender differences exist among the mathematically talented? Do females exist who possess profound mathematical talent? In regard to the first question, contemporary data indicate that girls in the U.S. have reached parity with boys in mathematics performance, a pattern that is found in some other nations as well. Focusing on the second question, studies find more males than females scoring above the 95th or 99th percentile, but this gender gap has significantly narrowed over time in the U.S. and is not found among some ethnic groups and in some nations. Furthermore, data from several studies indicate that greater male variability with respect to mathematics is not ubiquitous. Rather, its presence correlates with several measures of gender inequality. Thus, it is largely an artifact of changeable sociocultural factors, not immutable, innate biological differences between the sexes. Responding to the third question, we document the existence of females who possess profound mathematical talent. Finally, we review mounting evidence that both the magnitude of mean math gender differences and the frequency of identification of gifted and profoundly gifted females significantly correlate with sociocultural factors, including measures of gender equality across nations.

Q
    Q
    I have actually come across one or two studies in this general direction. There is some good information there. Unfortunately, I find it troubling that their definition of mathematically talented is 95th percentile (or even 99th percentile). Dr. Stanley's work focused on children who were really at the extreme tail (even well beyond the 99.9 subtest standard used by Davidson). At the nationally competitive level, that's who we are dealing with.

Even my DD, who is not mathematically talented, is consistently at above 99th percentile. She is just not at the extreme like her brother or even her mother.

D
    D
    Two recent studies directly address the question of whether greater male variability in mathematics is a ubiquitous phenomenon. Machin and Pekkarinen (19) reported that the M:F VR in mathematics was significantly >1.00 at the P < 0.05 level among 15-year-old students in 34 of 40 countries participating in the 2003 PISA and among 13-year-old students in 33 of 50 countries participating in the 2003 Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS). However, these data also indicated that the math VR was significantly less than or insignificantly different from 1.00 for some of the countries that participated in these assessments (e.g., Table 2), a finding inconsistent with the Greater Male Variability Hypothesis

That finding is not inconsistent with greater male variability.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    ...I find it troubling that their definition of mathematically talented is 95th percentile (or even 99th percentile). Dr. Stanley's work focused on children who were really at the extreme tail (even well beyond the 99.9 subtest standard used by Davidson). At the nationally competitive level, that's who we are dealing with.

Even my DD, who is not mathematically talented, is consistently at above 99th percentile. She is just not at the extreme like her brother or even her mother.

Performance on a standardized test or in a math competition seems like a narrow definition of math talent to me. Both of these things require speed; what about people who prefer to approach problems s-l-o-w-l-y and consider many different aspects of an idea?

Many things in our society (including chess competitions, tenure decisions, and so) reward speed (e.g. how fast can you make your next move?? How many publications can you get out in the next 5 years??). IMO, when we fail to let people move slowly, we fail as a society in a very important area.

Last edited by Val; 02/11/14 02:17 PM.
    Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by Val
    ...I find it troubling that their definition of mathematically talented is 95th percentile (or even 99th percentile). Dr. Stanley's work focused on children who were really at the extreme tail (even well beyond the 99.9 subtest standard used by Davidson). At the nationally competitive level, that's who we are dealing with.

Performance on a standardized test or in a math competition seems like a narrow definition of math talent to me. Both of these things require speed; what about people who prefer to approach problems s-l-o-w-l-y and consider many different aspects of an idea?

Many things in our society (including chess competitions, tenure decisions, and so) reward speed (e.g. how fast can you make your next move?? How many publications can you get out in the next 5 years??). IMO, when we fail to let people move slowly, we fail as a society in a very important area.

Actually, Val, I don't disagree with you on this point. The standardized tests and competitions are one way to catch many of those with math talents. Certainly, some are missed, especially twice exceptional kids. At the same time, speed does matter in some situations. It may seem unfair, but if I were hiring, I would give preference to an applicant who can think and act fast, all other abilities being equal.

More to the point, my post is consistent with yours to the extent that I don't believe doing well on a standardized test or math competition (at the 95th or even 99th percentile) necessarily translates to math talent. That was my point regarding DD. My judgment was not based just on standardized test scores and math competition awards but on more informal demonstrations of DS versus DD's innate abilities from toddlerhood. DS ponders independently and arrives at math concepts without being taught. DD needs to be taught - she learns very quickly and is very bright but that innate talent is missing. Incidentally, I am not so presumptuous as to assume that DS will ultimately fall within that extreme tail either as he is no Terrence Tao - only time will tell whether his minor math talent develops into a significant talent as an adult.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 02/11/14 03:00 PM.
    Val Offline
    Ahh. Fair enough. Thanks.

M
    M

Am I the only one who found it amusing that "not mathematically talented" and "above 99th percentile" were in the same sentence?

M
    M

All good points. I agree with most of what you said.

The question I have is whether there is still gender stereotyping going on in math today (leave chess aside for a moment), given that girls outperform boys in school. My limited view is that there is no longer gender stereotyping in math today. In our high school, there are as many girls in honors math as there are boys, and perhaps even more girls get As than boys. But interestingly, when it comes to competition math, the boys still dominate. And nationally, on the SAT, the mean score for boys is about 30 points higher than girls. I can't explain that either.

I have no opinion of what "truth" actually is. I would happily accept that there are no differences, or that there are inherent differences.

Am I the only one who found it amusing that "not mathematically talented" and "above 99th percentile" were in the same sentence?

No-- I also found it amusing that "talented" was equated to "autodidactic" in the same post.

I was not aware that those things were necessarily synonymous. smile

Q
    Q

Glad to be of service. Definitions and standards make a difference. I don't equate high IQ and/or high achievement with math talent. In my experience, it is possible to be both without having math talent and perhaps more controversial, to be without neither (at least not super high) and yet have a certain math talent. My DD is very smart and she is able to leverage that to do very well in math, including 99 percentile on measures like MAP (250 Fall 5th grade). It is very possible that she will maintain that level of achievement through high school. However, she is only 10 so it is also possible that her "ability/achievement" will decline relatively speaking as she approaches high school. Elementary and even middle school math do not necessarily draw upon the same skill set as high school/college math. Many students excel in elementary and even middle school before hitting a wall in high school. Conversely, some genuinely talented math students struggle in elementary and middle school and sometimes even high school but soar in college once they hit calculus, differential equations, linear algebra and higher level math. DS is technically/numerically more verbally gifted than DD but DD is by far more talented as a writer. Talent is not high IQ or high achievement on standardized tests.

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

No-- I also found it amusing that "talented" was equated to "autodidactic" in the same post.

I was not aware that those things were necessarily synonymous. smile

Actually, in my universe "talented" and "autodidactic" have different definitions and therefore are NOT "necessarily synonymous". However, based on my limited personal experience, those who are autodidactic in a particular area tend to have some measure of talent in that area. For example, DD is rather autodidactic with artistic endeavors and does have some talent with those endeavors. Accordingly, "autodidactic" is one of many variables I consider. However, that does not mean a particular individual who needs spoon-feeding can't have talent.

Ah-- my misunderstanding, evidently.

Surely there is something less derisive than "spoon-feeding" to describe the process of learning in a student who requires-- or merely prefers-- some instruction, though?

Perhaps I just see this as a continuum, with spoon-feeding at one end and total autodidactism at the other. Most of what we call "autodidactic" wouldn't have even been possible a generation ago, given the lack of opportunity and access yesterday's students had in comparison to Gen Z.

After all, perhaps TRULY "talented" individuals don't require anything but their own discovery and cognitive ability to achieve greatness... but it seems a bit much to expect even quite precocious individuals to, say, ignore Newton's work in favor of doing all of their own derivations and inventing notation themselves. Is it being needy to use a textbook to learn from those who have already figured things out? If a textbook is okay, what about a YouTube video? Surely one's own daily environment being enriched or not counts in some way... maybe one can only be truly autodidactic in a cave somewhere, alone with nothing but one's own thoughts, a stick and dirt to write in... wink

Perhaps I just believe that there's something in between because that seems to be the child that I have. Also-- I suspect that because I see all of the inputs (as most parents with 'schooled' students do not), that I can say quite confidently that she requires NOTHING like spoon-feeding, but she could soar a LOT higher than she does if she weren't being expected to learn in a relative instructional vacuum. She really does NOT get instruction from anywhere but a few power-point slides and her textbook. IMO, it shows.

Most here probably WOULD consider her an autodidact if they knew how little instructional input there is for her. I don't consider her an autodidact, because she does BETTER (about 30-40% better, IMO-- raising herself from "highly proficient" to "mastery") with fairly minimal (an hour or two a week) of human instruction.

I think that it significantly and unfairly maligns such students to derisively claim that they need spoon-feeding or hand-holding, or any other patronizing terminology.

I venture a guess that most of the kids who play chess-- even at an elite level-- do so after some instruction on the subject (shocking, I know).

In fact, I'd be willing to guess that most of the kids here who play chess get more CHESS instruction weekly than my DD gets math instruction-- in both of her college-level (dual enrollment) math courses.

So-- does she need "spoon-feeding"? Is this evidence that she lacks math talent? I'd say not. Perhaps she lacks DRIVE in the domain, and this might explain why she is not autodidactic there to the extent that some students are. But her raw ability is a different matter.

M
    M
    ... maybe one can only be truly autodidactic in a cave somewhere, alone with nothing but one's own thoughts, a stick and dirt to write in... wink
    Priceless!

I venture a guess that most of the kids who play chess-- even at an elite level-- do so after some instruction on the subject (shocking, I know).
    Every one of the talented chess players I know has one or more elite coaches.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    While I don't think one need be an autodidact to possess talent in a field, I do understand what Quantum is getting at. Of my two children, only DD10 has asked deep questions related to math and tried to concoct her own "tricks" and theories regarding math. She clearly THINKS about math. At 3 or 4, she came to us with the observation that some number have "middles" and some do not, and one could classify them that way, and this seemed important. (She had figured out even and odd.)

She is also good at calculation and a strong math student, though not actually highly outstanding. Math is NOT her favorite subject. Yet it's this interest in *thinking* about math which still makes me think that there may be some latent math spark that will emerge in later grades.

DS5, in contrast, has never come to us with any such mathematical musings. He is certainly ahead in math, but I don't see any interest in math concepts or ideas. He knows facts and operations about as well as DD did at this age, but I would be surprised if math ever was a topic of great interest. Yet he is the one with the unusual chess gift.

It's not that DD tends autodidactic and DS does not. They both tend autodidactic.

B
    B
    ... maybe one can only be truly autodidactic in a cave somewhere, alone with nothing but one's own thoughts, a stick and dirt to write in... wink
    Priceless!

Every one of the talented chess players I know has one or more elite coaches.
    I had a very successful scholastic chess career and never had a formal coach. A coach can help, but it may not be absolutely necessary. The article below says that knowledge of famous games, which can be acquired through self-study, is a good predictor of success in chess. When I was a kid I read and re-read all chess literature within reach. As I've said before, a male tendency to obsess over a small domain may partially explain why there are more male prodigies.

http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12551/745/
    How to Spot Top Talent: Greg on Chess
    By IM Greg Shahade
    February 9, 2014

There is one very reliable sign to how much potential and how strong a young chess player is or is going to be, and it’s probably not what most people would think.

It’s not how quickly a student solves tactics or sees combinations (although these two things always seem to be correlated with the main point of this article). It’s not the student’s positional understanding. It’s not even how much they claim to study chess.

Instead it is “How likely is this student to recognize a famous game/position and know the players involved?”

Do they know that it’s Capablanca vs Botvinnik in the AVRO tournament or Fischer vs Petrosian or Karpov vs Unzicker?

I think that if you gave a quiz of 100 famous chess positions and simply asked children “Who was playing this game?”, and didn’t ask what moves should be played or anything chess related other than historical/biographical information, the players who performed the best at this test would end up being the strongest players ten years later.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Re chess coaches and children, I think this is one of these things that's changed with time, much as youth sports have changed and become more intense and competitive with time. Youth chess is also much more popular today than it once was, I believe.

But I'm sure there are at least some kids who do relatively well without coaches, perhaps because their school club or team is very intensive or they study a lot on their own.

B
    B
    DS5 has not had a coach and it's been driving the coaches at chess club berserk. He is now being given free private lessons (which is a matter of mild concern for DH and me, in that I am not sure if we should worry that we are not paying for this and other families are).
    It is common at adult tournaments (in which players keep score) to have a "post-mortem" where the game is analyzed. When I was a kid playing in adult tournaments I learned from many such post-mortems, in which a helpful master often participated. Chess players have different styles and develop different views about the game. Learning to separate the wheat from the chaff in the advice one is given is a useful skill to develop.

Glad to be of service. Definitions and standards make a difference. I don't equate high IQ and/or high achievement with math talent. In my experience, it is possible to be both without having math talent and perhaps more controversial, to be without neither (at least not super high) and yet have a certain math talent....Talent is not high IQ or high achievement on standardized tests.

This would seem to be a flaw in the concept of IQ.

By definition, if you have talent in math, you should have a "high IQ".

If you have actualized a talent in math, by definition, you had the potential to actualize the talent, which ostensibly an IQ test would be able to measure.

So, the problem lies with the IQ test, not with the empirical reality of high achievement in an intellectual domain.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Bostonian, I'm somewhat unclear on what your comment has to do with my quote. (I don't mean this snarkily.)

B
    B
    Bostonian, I'm somewhat unclear on what your comment has to do with my quote.
    I'm just saying that playing with more experienced players and analyzing with them later can be a partial substitute for lessons.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    It occurred to me after I posted that that is what you meant. DS is not at a level where I would take him to an adult tournament. I think this is probably less appropriate nowadays with the many competitive kids' tournaments available (in some areas), though I couldn't say for sure.

Q
    Q
    Ah-- my misunderstanding, evidently.

Surely there is something less derisive than "spoon-feeding" to describe the process of learning in a student who requires-- or merely prefers-- some instruction, though?

Perhaps I just see this as a continuum, with spoon-feeding at one end and total autodidactism at the other. Most of what we call "autodidactic" wouldn't have even been possible a generation ago, given the lack of opportunity and access yesterday's students had in comparison to Gen Z.

After all, perhaps TRULY "talented" individuals don't require anything but their own discovery and cognitive ability to achieve greatness... but it seems a bit much to expect even quite precocious individuals to, say, ignore Newton's work in favor of doing all of their own derivations and inventing notation themselves. Is it being needy to use a textbook to learn from those who have already figured things out? If a textbook is okay, what about a YouTube video? Surely one's own daily environment being enriched or not counts in some way... maybe one can only be truly autodidactic in a cave somewhere, alone with nothing but one's own thoughts, a stick and dirt to write in... wink

Perhaps I just believe that there's something in between because that seems to be the child that I have. Also-- I suspect that because I see all of the inputs (as most parents with 'schooled' students do not), that I can say quite confidently that she requires NOTHING like spoon-feeding, but she could soar a LOT higher than she does if she weren't being expected to learn in a relative instructional vacuum. She really does NOT get instruction from anywhere but a few power-point slides and her textbook. IMO, it shows.

Most here probably WOULD consider her an autodidact if they knew how little instructional input there is for her. I don't consider her an autodidact, because she does BETTER (about 30-40% better, IMO-- raising herself from "highly proficient" to "mastery") with fairly minimal (an hour or two a week) of human instruction.

I think that it significantly and unfairly maligns such students to derisively claim that they need spoon-feeding or hand-holding, or any other patronizing terminology.

In fact, I'd be willing to guess that most of the kids here who play chess get more CHESS instruction weekly than my DD gets math instruction-- in both of her college-level (dual enrollment) math courses.

So-- does she need "spoon-feeding"? Is this evidence that she lacks math talent? I'd say not. Perhaps she lacks DRIVE in the domain, and this might explain why she is not autodidactic there to the extent that some students are. But her raw ability is a different matter.

As I was posting, I was not thinking of your DD (or any other poster's children). I don't have any opinions regarding your DD (or any other poster's chidlren). I don't know your DD (or any other poster's children). I am just one of the wide range of people who sometimes read and post on Davidson's public internet forum.

I also don't particularly want to change anyone's opinions. I conceded as far as possible in posting that it is possible even for an individual who requires spoon-feeding in a particular area to have talent in that area. After all, just because I haven't seen it within my limited experience doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As for the bit about cave, stick and dirt, I am not sure how that's relevant. Why would you not use available tools to teach yourself? In their areas of potential talent, my children chooses and uses all available tools in their vicinity, including books, internet and confirmation with educated adults.

M
    M
    Re chess coaches and children, I think this is one of these things that's changed with time, much as youth sports have changed and become more intense and competitive with time. Youth chess is also much more popular today than it once was, I believe.

But I'm sure there are at least some kids who do relatively well without coaches, perhaps because their school club or team is very intensive or they study a lot on their own.

You are probably right. I only know Boston well, and that can be quite different from other parts of the country.

M
    M
    I think this is probably less appropriate nowadays with the many competitive kids' tournaments available (in some areas), though I couldn't say for sure.

It's not so much the age as it is the maturity. Some five year kids play just fine in adult tournaments. Some kids much older years are too loud or restless to play.

Q
    Q
    While I don't think one need be an autodidact to possess talent in a field, I do understand what Quantum is getting at. Of my two children, only DD10 has asked deep questions related to math and tried to concoct her own "tricks" and theories regarding math. She clearly THINKS about math. At 3 or 4, she came to us with the observation that some number have "middles" and some do not, and one could classify them that way, and this seemed important. (She had figured out even and odd.)

She is also good at calculation and a strong math student, though not actually highly outstanding. Math is NOT her favorite subject. Yet it's this interest in *thinking* about math which still makes me think that there may be some latent math spark that will emerge in later grades.

DS5, in contrast, has never come to us with any such mathematical musings. He is certainly ahead in math, but I don't see any interest in math concepts or ideas. He knows facts and operations about as well as DD did at this age, but I would be surprised if math ever was a topic of great interest. Yet he is the one with the unusual chess gift.

It's not that DD tends autodidactic and DS does not. They both tend autodidactic.

Yes - exactly this. It makes you wonder how far your DD could go if/when she applies the same mindset and mathematical thinking to cutting edge mathematics. Of course, my other point was it isn't the student (particularly elementary) with the highest grades and standardized test scores who necessarily have the most math talent.

By the way, I personally don't think math talent is 100% correlated with chess talent. At least, that has not been my experience or observation. Of course, I dont have any chess talent so I am not qualify to disect it. I'll leave that to someone like Bostonian who actually knows what he is talking about.

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Glad to be of service. Definitions and standards make a difference. I don't equate high IQ and/or high achievement with math talent. In my experience, it is possible to be both without having math talent and perhaps more controversial, to be without neither (at least not super high) and yet have a certain math talent....Talent is not high IQ or high achievement on standardized tests.

This would seem to be a flaw in the concept of IQ.

By definition, if you have talent in math, you should have a "high IQ".

If you have actualized a talent in math, by definition, you had the potential to actualize the talent, which ostensibly an IQ test would be able to measure.

So, the problem lies with the IQ test, not with the empirical reality of high achievement in an intellectual domain.

Jonlaw, I have pondered this issue in the context of math talent for decades now and still don't have any definitive answers. You are correct that part of the problem may be the IQ test failing to completely capture "true intelligence," whatever that may be. Although my post wasn't clear on the point, I was also thinking about above-average IQ (in the 120's) rather than average IQ. The other issue is that "high achievement" in children is not the same as "high achievement" in a top level mathematician. Of course, high achievement in the latter would confirm talent but I would not automatically assume talent with "high achievement" in children. In my mind, a child's environment and resources make a big difference as well. I would be a heck of a lot more impressed if some disadvantaged kid with uneducated parents achieved the same numbers as DD.

M
    M
    By the way, I personally don't think math talent is 100% correlated with chess talent. At least, that has not been my experience or observation. Of course, I dont have any chess talent so I am not qualify to disect it. I'll leave that to someone like Bostonian who actually knows what he is talking about.

I agree with you that the correlation is not perfect. DS, DD, and I are all strong in math, but only DS is strong in chess. I am average in chess and DD never showed skill in the game.

I agree with you that the correlation is not perfect. DS, DD, and I are all strong in math, but only DS is strong in chess. I am average in chess and DD never showed skill in the game.

I am strong in math, and I've never shown any skill in chess, primarily because I've never shown any interest. Math is fun; chess is boring.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Nah. They're both boring. wink

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM