Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 349 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    Well, I will just share my perspective as a very talented, female Millenial. I left a good career track in a STEM profession to be a SAHM and volunteer. ...

... I would say that I logically weighed my options, acted according to my own set of priorities (which may or may not be influenced by my gender), and I'm happier than ever.

I have a lot of admiration and gratitude for the work that female activists have done in the past generations. But maybe the pendulum has swung in the other direction, in some areas. Really, it is not a smart girl's duty to defy stereotypes any more than it is her duty to fulfill traditional gender roles.

I don't think anyone has a duty to defy or fulfill traditional gender roles. People should make their own decisions based on their abilities on desires, not what someone else expects of them.

But...there's another side to the coin you've described. You make it sound so wonderful that you made a personal choice and you're so happy and it's all great. But what about the wider consequences?

It's well known that a lot of women enter graduate schools, professional schools, or jobs knowing or considering that they're going to leave the workforce when they have children. Unfortunately, this practice is so common, it leads to hiring managers getting cynical, as in, "She'll quit as soon as she has a baby." So maybe they don't want to hire or promote other women of childbearing age because of fears of making a bad investment. And then there is the question of the grad and professional schools allotting scarce places to women who, ultimately, won't be really using their educations.

Yes, I know that you can teach your kids and etc. etc. But that's not the same and it doesn't require a graduate or professional degree.

I understand that some people have NO CHOICE but to quit a job because something about the child demands it (e.g. health reasons). This is very different from deciding --- AFTER a lot of resources have been invested into you --- that you want to opt out. And I understand that people change their minds. But I think it's important for women in general to understand that every time a woman talks about how happy she is to have left the workforce after a lot of education, there are consequences for others. And the stereotypes we're talking about here are among them.
    What are the wider consequences of brightest women being just as career-oriented as the brightest men? Statistically, more loneliness and fewer children, likely children who would be bright since intelligence is highly heritable and because bright women tend not to mate with dummies. Here is an article illustrating this tendency.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/business/economy/04leonhardt.html/
    A Labor Market Punishing to Mothers
    New York Times
    By DAVID LEONHARDT
    August 3, 2010
    The last three men nominated to the Supreme Court have all been married and, among them, have seven children. The last three women — Elena Kagan, Sonia Sotomayor and Harriet Miers (who withdrew) — have all been single and without children.
    I am not saying gifted women should not work, but when they are so ambitious that they have few or no children, that has real costs to society, which should be weighed against their career contributions. The same could be said about gifted men, but empirically the trade-off between career success and number of offspring is smaller for them.

M
    M
    Let's back up for a bit. This conversation veered off with deacongirl's statement:

Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I strongly reject the idea that boys are inherently better at chess than girls. I cannot even believe any credence is given to that position in 2014.
    This reminds me of my conversation with a Harvard grad a few years ago when the conversation of Larry Summers came up. This alum said that Larry was getting crucified about his comments about men vs women because what he said was unpleasant, and even worse, it was also true.

By the way, this Harvard grad was a woman. Like many Harvard grads I know, she didn't think much of the Fine Arts faculty, stating that most wouldn't even qualify to be students there these days, but I digress.

The problem I have with deacongirl's statement is that, as educated people, these statements should not be off limits, but instead should be evaluated on the basis of evidence.

As a father to both a boy and a girl, I have no interest in this being true or not true. I simply gave reasons why it is plausible based upon a widely accepted difference in spatial ability between boys and girls. And the response I have gotten back is that you think the studies are invalid. Possible, but wouldn't there be numerous recent studies pointing the other way by now?

Aquinas, when I talk about the importance of spatial ability in chess, I speak as the father of a child who has achieved national level success in the game, who is coached by a former US champion, and who knows some players that compete successfully at the international level. Spatial ability is not the *sole* required talent, but it is an essential one.

Val Offline
    I think maybe the point of that article was that the workplace needs to be reformed, not that gifted women should stay home or should curb their ambition.

The best hope for making progress against today’s gender inequality probably involves some combination of legal and cultural changes, which happens to be the same combination that beat back the old sexism. We’ll have to get beyond the Mommy Wars and instead create rewarding career paths even for parents — fathers, too — who take months or years off. We’ll have to get more creative about part-time and flexible work, too.

A solution like this probably reduce the number of women who opt out entirely.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Here's an interesting finding on spatial skills:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/0...ity-by-playing-more-boy-games/53560.html

I thought I'd point out a couple of things about the spatial skills gap, which I believe has been corroborated. Number one is that it is a small gap, IIRC. Number two is that there is quite a bit more to math than spatial skills (IIRC, girls actually have better arithmetic skills on average, which we don't seem to be crowing about as proof that girls possess natural math superiority). Number three is that with all findings like these, you must remember that a small average group difference is often damagingly misleading in terms of what it means in the real world.

I'll also point out that the findings on girls' superior verbal skills haven't seemed to translate into most famous authors being women (and the world vociferously defending that as the natural order of things). Hmmm. It seems this "natural superiority" thing isn't destiny, eh?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I'll also point out that the findings on girls' superior verbal skills haven't seemed to translate into most famous authors being women (and the world vociferously defending that as the natural order of things). Hmmm. It seems this "natural superiority" thing isn't destiny, eh?

I wouldn't assume that verbal skills differentiate the best authors. I've heard it said that people are best at writing what they know. If that's true, then knowing about the kinds of things that people want to read about gives you an advantage. Hemingway comes to mind, for example.

Originally Posted by mithawk
    I simply gave reasons why it is plausible based upon a widely accepted difference in spatial ability between boys and girls. And the response I have gotten back is that you think the studies are invalid. Possible, but wouldn't there be numerous recent studies pointing the other way by now?

No, for the simple reason that it's just not possible to control for all the cultural factors, so you can't do a study using a control group that does not exist.

However, we DO know that cultural attitudes about gender stereotypes have been changing over time, and we've seen that the performance gap changes over the same time period. We also know that cultural attitudes about gender stereotypes are different from culture to culture... and sure enough, we find that the performance gaps reflect those different attitudes as well.

So basically, we've proven beyond reasonable doubt that stereotypes play a significant role in gender differences in math, and in chess. We know that as attitudes skew closer to equality, the performance also skews closer to equality. That's a closed case.

All that's left now is to hypothesize about an imaginary culture in which no gender stereotypes exist, would some biological factor pre-select males for dominance at the very highest echelons of math and chess?

My hunch is: no.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I simply gave reasons why it is plausible based upon a widely accepted difference in spatial ability between boys and girls. And the response I have gotten back is that you think the studies are invalid. Possible, but wouldn't there be numerous recent studies pointing the other way by now?

No, for the simple reason that it's just not possible to control for all the cultural factors, so you can't do a study using a control group that does not exist.

However, we DO know that cultural attitudes about gender stereotypes have been changing over time, and we've seen that the performance gap changes over the same time period. We also know that cultural attitudes about gender stereotypes are different from culture to culture... and sure enough, we find that the performance gaps reflect those different attitudes as well.

So basically, we've proven beyond reasonable doubt that stereotypes play a significant role in gender differences in math, and in chess. We know that as attitudes skew closer to equality, the performance also skews closer to equality. That's a closed case.

All that's left now is to hypothesize about an imaginary culture in which no gender stereotypes exist, would some biological factor pre-select males for dominance at the very highest echelons of math and chess?

My hunch is: no.

Mithawk, I'd reply, but Dude hit on the major points I've have made anyway. He summarized the discussion beautifully to boot.

The problem I have with deacongirl's statement is that, as educated people, these statements should not be off limits, but instead should be evaluated on the basis of evidence.

Your assertions are open to discussion; we're discussing them now. I fail to see how they're off limits. They have been evaluated on the basis of evidence, were found lacking, and the conversation is moving on to more fertile topics.

Incidentally, congrats to your children on their chess tour success!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Your assertions are open to discussion; we're discussing them now. I fail to see how they're off limits. They have been evaluated on the basis of evidence, were found lacking, and the conversation is moving on to more fertile topics.
    It is presumptuous to write as if the forum has reached a consensus around the views that you hold. I certainly don't think I have converted everyone to my views.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Here's a short summary from a January 2014 metaanalysis on what we currently know about sex differences regarding cognitive tasks. It's rather nuanced. I have to insert the disclaimer that I know nothing about any agenda on the authors' parts.

What cognitive tasks show sex differences?

Some spatial tasks such as mentally rotating 3D objects show the largest sex differences, favoring men by ∼0.5–1 standard deviations [26]. Much research has understandably focused on spatial tasks that show large sex differences, but this focus does not address how typical male advantages would be on a fuller range of spatial tasks. For instance, despite their presumed demands on spatial processing, geometry problems on mathematics tests typically show small-to-nonexistent sex differences 13 and 77.

Task characteristics influence spatial sex differences. For instance, male advantages in mental rotation are larger when the task involves 3D objects versus 2D objects [26] and has strict time limits versus no time limits [25]. However, other task differences are less well understood, such as why mentally rotating objects shows sex differences but mentally folding paper does not reliably (see Figure 1 in main text) 26 and 112. For instance, Harris and colleagues recently reviewed comparisons between mental rotation and mental folding, finding evidence for many similarities in the underlying cognitive processes [112]. That review paper speculated that the differences in male advantages may reflect task differences in requiring rigid versus non-rigid transformations of objects, but noted that current evidence is limited.

At least one spatial task (remembering object locations) moderately favors women [22]. This finding aligns with small to moderate female advantages on some memory tasks such as remembering object identities, faces, and lists of words and numbers 11, 18 and 22. Some other memory tasks show more mixed findings 17, 19, 20 and 21. For instance, when described as a test of geometry ability, a task involving recalling an abstract spatial diagram showed differences favoring boys (d = 0.51) [20]. However, when described as a test of drawing ability, the task showed differences favoring girls (d = 0.50). This study (n = 199) [20] replicated two earlier studies [19].

Sex differences in average mathematics test performance tend to be small to nonexistent 13, 16 and 77, although boys outnumber girls among high performers (e.g., top 1% or higher) in most but not all nations 9, 10, 16 and 78. These differences often do not reliably differ by task characteristics (e.g., geometry versus non-geometry problems), although girls sometimes slightly outperform boys on problems requiring algebraic solutions or short-answer responses 13 and 77. These small female advantages for algebra and short-answer problems align with findings regarding verbal tasks. For instance, girls outperform boys in reading across the globe (∼0.2–0.6 standard deviations) 11, 16 and 79. These female advantages are larger among lower-performing students 16 and 79 and are even larger for writing tasks [11].

Research conducted in the 1970s to 1980s suggested an alarming finding that boys outnumber girls 13 to 1 among American students with exceptional mathematics talent [9]. However, this tail ratio has dropped to about 2–4 to 1 in recent years, according to both self-selected [9] and nationally representative samples [10]. Sex differences in average mathematics test performance also decreased during the 1970s to 1980s 11 and 12 and have since remained small to negligible 10 and 13.These changes over time have led some scholars to conclude that cognitive sex differences are disappearing. However, the data indicate nuanced trends. For instance, the overrepresentation of males among high mathematics performers decreased during the 1980s, but has not been decreasing since the 1990s 9 and 10. Since at least 1990, girls have earned higher mathematics grades by approximately 0.1–0.2 Grade Point Average (GPA) points [14]. Other data also indicate complex findings. Earlier meta-analytic evidence suggested few sex differences in verbal abilities [15], but recent analyses of large-scale international assessments call for reexamination of this claim. In an analysis of 1.5 million children's reading achievements, girls outperformed boys in all 75 nations in all testing administrations (in total, 213 independent samples) [16]. These sex differences were moderately large in 55% of cases (0.36 ≤ d < 0.65) and may be increasing over time. Small-to-moderate female advantages are also consistently found for some but not all memory tasks ( Box 2) 11, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22. Male advantages are found on some but not all spatial tasks ( Figure 1) 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26; cross-temporal trends on spatial tasks are mixed

Other studies have shown that spatial ability, in particular, is quite "trainable." Hence, GoldieBlox.

Personally, I'm not tempted to conclude anything particularly sweeping from all of these findings. Some differences appear to exist at this time in some situations. It varies by country. It has changed drastically over time. Even within a skill ("spatial tasks") we have some areas where the stereotypical pattern is not found. And we have the interesting finding that girls who identify less with a "feminine" identity are better at these skills. (Who knows why? This could be biological, or it could be environment/personality, or a combo.)

Q
    Q
    This has been an interesting discusssion. At times, it called to mind the story about blind men arguing about an elephant. Personally, I agreed with many different people who appear to disagree with each other.

While the average visual spatial ability may be higher for males versus female, it hardly explains the disportionate gender particpation at a base level chess club. At the same time, I do believe the gender disparity at the top (national/international competition level)is partly due to the disparity in visual spatial ability at the extreme tails. I have read about this phenomenon in so many sources that I have trouble pin-pointing the original studies but I believe Dr. Stanley (father of above-level testing, SET creater, etc.) is one of them. Apparently, the fact that males are more genetically vulnerable (to disorders, etc.)is tied in to the higher occurrence of "extreme" visual spatial/mathematical ability in males versus females. Even as recently as three years ago when DS and DD took the SCAT as 2nd graders through Hopkins, the charts for quantitative scores were considerably different at the very top for males versus females 2nd graders.

I am a female who attended excellent schools and was always the top math student in her grade until college. I know that I was better than at least 99%+ of males in mathematics but the truly extreme math abilities in my encounters have all been male. In other words, I have met males who were above my league but I have not met any females who were (although I am sure there are some).

The disparity in gender participation at base level chess club and local level math competitions could be partly innate personal characteristics and partly cultural indoctrination. I have a DS and DD who are the same age and there is a huge stereotypical difference in their math and chess abilities, but that is neither here nor there as that is a single anecdotal example. Interestingly,notwithstanding DS' vastly superior math ability, my DD, who is very artistic, actually has the superior visual spatial ability and working memory. What struck me recently was the realization that DD was taking it easy and purposely not trying to win during the first couple of weeks when she was competing against her girl classmates at 24 (a math game/competition that relies heavily on working memory and processing speed) but she beat her whole group (including one of the top players) when the coach changed her group to all boys the following weeks.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 02/11/14 01:34 PM.
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM