Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by Irena
DS's writing in math slows him down (not inordinately but enough) but even more concerning are the reversals and the flipping of signs etc.

Not to buy trouble for you (ha!) but something to warn you about - one of the things my ds has (and still) struggles with the most in math is copying mistakes - he'll switch things like + and - signs when copying from one line to the next or switch numbers - write "24" instead of "42" for instance... and then everything he does as he finishes up a math calculation will be wrong. His neuropsych's advice was to start getting him in the habit of checking his work each and every time - which we've done. Problem is he then sometimes gets problems wrong that were correct the first time around.. for the very same reason! I'm sure it happens on standardized testing too. Neither ds or I have any kind of good solution for it. Would love to know if anyone else has any ideas!

polarbear

Yep. These are some of DS's problems too. In his WJ-III ACH Test he asked the tester for one of the fluency teests "I know the answer to this is twelve but I can't remember how to make a twelve - is it 1 then 2 or 2 then 1?" Tester couldn't tell him. He still scored in the 93rd percentile but still. Also in his tests, he sometimes rotates the + sign and the x sign ... sometimes he means 16 and writes 61... These issues seem to not be a problem when he is doing it on the keyboard though... It's not too big of an issue now but with more complicated problems and algebra type equations he could easily become more of a problem. Also just the sheer time it takes him to form letters and numbers. frown