Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 421 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    U
    U
    DD's GIFTED magnet constantly emphasizes that they are grooming "leaders." I find this distasteful, bordering on offensive. Are gifted children automatically more qualified to lead? That's interesting, since they're much more likely to be introverted. Are general education children NOT qualified to lead? Are they the "followers" at the school?

Some of the world's greatest thinkers have NOT been "leaders" in the sense of "those who lead groups of others." Writers, artists, and inventors are rarely "leaders."

Actually, this subject makes me very angry. Intelligence and potential DO NOT necessarily come in a neat package with emotional IQ and ability to charm.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DD's GIFTED magnet constantly emphasizes that they are grooming "leaders." I find this distasteful, bordering on offensive. Are gifted children automatically more qualified to lead? That's interesting, since they're much more likely to be introverted. Are general education children NOT qualified to lead? Are they the "followers" at the school?

Well, the only relevant people in the modern financial hyper-economy are leaders.

And the masses, who you call "general education children" are certainly not qualified to lead.

If they were so qualified, they would not be "general education children" in the first place and instead would be leaders, and therefore relevant to the future.

Remember, most people fail to become leaders and drift aimlessly through life, bereft of purpose or meaning.

Only a select few, the best and the brightest become true leaders. They are the bright and shiny children that everyone adores because of their magnificent potential for future glory.

I think that the rest land on the industrial scrapheap somewhere in flyover country.

In the United States you can find entire states full of irrelevant non-leaders.

So, in any event, potential leaders automatically get noticed by the right people because their relevance is immediately obvious to the people who are responsible for noticing them.

Val Offline
    I think JonLaw is onto something here.

In order to get noticed by admissions officers, you need to have Relevance (tm).

Do they have prep classes for that?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    I think JonLaw is onto something here.

In order to get noticed by admissions officers, you need to have Relevance (tm).

Do they have prep classes for that?
    Yes. There is a class called "leadership" at high school. In less glorified words the school council. But it is an official class with a teacher, and grades that goes on students transcripts.

U
    U
    There is a class called "leadership" at high school.

*hides under scrapheap, whimpering*

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    There is a class called "leadership" at high school.

*hides under scrapheap, whimpering*

I don't suppose there's room for another under that scrapheap, by any chance? I'll bring water and a snack.

I'm always amused when student council is considered "leadership." When the primary activity is picking a theme for the senior prom, that word does not mean what they think it means.

Originally Posted by Dude
    I'm always amused when student council is considered "leadership." When the primary activity is picking a theme for the senior prom, that word does not mean what they think it means.

Yes, but the student council is the first step toward establishing a lifetime of ever-increasing relevance.

Val Offline
    And to think I was being facetious!

cry

ETA: Wait, I was wrong. Wow! Leadership classes are even aligned with the Common Core!!!

Stupendous leadership classes

Last edited by Val; 01/28/14 02:35 PM.
    I
    I
    Too many student council positions, school newspaper positions, and yearbook committee positions, etc, may represent "leadership within tight parameters" or more simply "puppet leadership".

True leadership may be thinking outside the box and breaking the mold, replacing the old model with something new. Leaders acknowledge and prioritize problems, bring an issue to light and attempt to resolve it.

One student created their own extracurricular soccer team, recruiting a coach, assistant, and players. It was a consistently successful team.

Another example is a student drafting and promoting a new district policy.

Each of these examples illustrate being a person of influence within one's community.

Regardless of whether one is showcasing leadership or another talent, it may be wise to be authentic in representing one's self, to help ensure the best possible fit with a college or university.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM