Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    M
    M
    A 7th grader that I know is already talking to colleges about a women's lacrosse scholarship, so it is possible that early commitment is a lot more widespread than people think. She is planning to "commit" next year.

I was shocked to hear about it, because it is so young to choose a college for the future, but the family has multiple kids to put through college at approximately the same time so a scholarship would probably be very welcomed.

Last edited by momoftwins; 01/27/14 07:47 AM.
    W
    W
    I know a really good male soccer player that got a full ride at Notre Dame in his junior year.

But soccer seems a real commodity. A good girl soccer player from Toronto got a 90% from a school in Texas. Don't know which one.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Wren
    DH mentioned that the head of his fundraising group donated a million in addition to her husband from another class, who donated a few million more and their son still didn't get accepted to Harvard. A few years earlier, he said a classmate that came from huge legacy, building named after an ancestor, had his father donated 10 million but they wouldn't let his daughter in unless she did another year at top boarding school and got better grades.

Curious if 100 million got you a free ride. I know someone who gave 150 million to Yale but have no idea what scores his kids had, but this was at least a decade ago.
    I quoted on a similar thread from an article in the recent Stanford Magazine about legacy admissions. The claim in the article is that being legacy is just one check box, the admit department has no idea who has donated what and only calls the alumni office to see if the member is active. And that amount of donation is irrelevant. They claim legacy only helps if a student is competitive in all other aspects.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by momoftwins
    A 7th grader that I know is already talking to colleges about a women's lacrosse scholarship, so it is possible that early commitment is a lot more widespread than people think. She is planning to "commit" next year.

I was shocked to hear about it, because it is so young to choose a college for the future, but the family has multiple kids to put through college at approximately the same time so a scholarship would probably be very welcomed.
    This seems as way to young to select for athletic ability. And seems like a huge pressure to put on a child. I have seen kids who were good at athletics burn out in H.S., or get injured.

N
    N
    I don't think that giving a verbal in 8th grade is really so bad. Sure, you might get hurt, might not keep improving, but there is no written commitment. The kid or the coach can choose not to honor the agreement. Also, there might be a new coach at the school by the time the kid goes off to college - and new coaches don't always take the former coach's picks.

And I don't understand the comment in the NYT article that middle school verbals are somehow against NCAA rules. Prior to 9th grade, kids can talk to college coaches anytime, anywhere. I have told my HS kids to say nothing more than, "Hi" to anyone they think might be a coach in their sport(s).

In any case, high SAT/ACT scores and a high GPA are a better bet to get some great (merit) scholarships.

B
    B
    I think Cal Newport's book "How to Be a High School Superstar: A Revolutionary Plan to Get into College by Standing Out (Without Burning Out)" is interesting. Here is an essay of his.

http://calnewport.com/blog/2010/03/...surprising-psychology-of-impressiveness/
    How to Get Into Stanford with B’s on Your Transcript: Failed Simulations & the Surprising Psychology of Impressiveness
    March 26th, 2010

W
    W
    [/quote]
    similar thread from an article in the recent Stanford Magazine about legacy admissions. The claim in the article is that being legacy is just one check box, the admit department has no idea who has donated what and only calls the alumni office to see if the member is active. And that amount of donation is irrelevant. They claim legacy only helps if a student is competitive in all other aspects. [/quote]

According to DH, when he was calling classmates looking for a donation, they had lists with the wealth of the alumni, what the target was for the donation, all the donations so far. And a big donor is definitely going to brought to the notice of the admit department.

But as my previous stories reported, the scores have to be there.

W
    W
    Really like the article Bostonian. Thanks.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Curious if 100 million got you a free ride.

There were stories about Meg Whitman and her son Griff Harsh that were all over the media here in CA when she was a gubernatorial candidate. There were accusations that her $30 million donation to Princeton got her son a lot special treatment (not just in college admissions).

So, it is entirely possible that $100 mil might get you a free ride. Not knowing people so wealthy, I can only base my specualtion on what I read in the media smile

N
    N
    If you can donate 100 million, you don't need a full ride.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM