Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    W
    W
    If she really wants dance, a school like Julliard. But Harvard loves dancers. They have program and a dance company. Not the greatest dance program, but then you have Harvard.

Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    It depends-- as the previous post indicates, it helps to have an UNUSUAL package of genuine interests.

Like... hosting a tabletop RPG tourney at the local children's hospital... being a competitive fly-tying champ... being a competent recorder soloist who plays early music... someone who built their own full-sized trebuchet for a local museum...

that kind of thing.

RPG? Procket Propelled Grenade? I can't imagine that being a good idea.

Er--

role-play gaming?

You know-- what used to be termed "D&D?"

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Okay. I really couldn't figure out what RPG was supposed to stand for.

M
    M
    A great site with tons of information is www.collegeconfidential.com. It can offer a lot of good ideas about what is available.

Gail Post/ www.giftedchallenges.com

L
    L
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Okay. I really couldn't figure out what RPG was supposed to stand for.

nothing wrong with showing a lack of nerdiness...

wink

Z
    Z
    Speaking of nerdiness, how exciting, another season of King of the Nerds started this week.

Now back to designing my live action rocket propelled grenade miniatures.

U
    U
    Do we think being a top teen birder and bird artist is a weird/unique enough passion?

(I'm not really serious...or am I? It would realllly be convenient if she could continue to focus on this interest, which is DH's passion as well, and with which he is extremely well-connected on the local and state level...)

Has she competed in the Youth America Grand Prix (if she's in the States)? Doing well can lead to scholarships and invitations to join companies as always, but now they have a Dance in Higher Education program where students can be offered college/university admissions and scholarships through auditions at three (this year) of the regional competitions. It's too late for this year, but it's worth considering for next year.

I
    I
    I think birder/artist is a GREAT passion for college admission. It is unusual and a little intellectual. One of my kids was into insects, and she definitely leveraged it on her college apps (she got into U of Chicago, Swarthmore, and Harvey Mudd -- so it worked for her).

It is, though, always good to have some ways to document/show her passion beyond just the time spend watching/drawing/painting birds. Some ideas:

- Join the local Audobon society, and try to be somewhat active (join bird counts, even try to hold an office in it)
    - Enter bird art into contests. There are some specific stamp contests for bird art (although that may not be her specialty). But sometimes art teachers at the high school know of local competitions. Or she could enter in the county fair in 4-H or the open categories (has the bonus of possibly getting to show at the state fair).
    - Quantifying is good -- one of my kids monitored a bluebird trail for years, and helped hatch over 250 bluebirds into our neighborhood, which she put on her activities section of her college apps.
    - Can she get involved with helping others with bird watching or art somehow? Kids or elderly people...
    - Volunteer somehow with birds. We live in a bigger city, so there would be opportunities at the raptor center here. Or if there is a professor of ornithology at a nearby college, can she volunteer to help with research?

If your H is involved and "well connected", that is a bonus to helping her find opportunities to get involved in the birding community. I can also see how a trip to see an unusual bird someplace might make a good essay topic (if she can help show her passion and make it about herself as much as it is about the bird).

My kid didn't just "do bugs". She was also in Quiz Bowl and fencing, and had some accomplishments there at the state level (top 5 type accomplishments). With great test scores, and pretty good (but not perfect) grades. But your D could absolutely follow her passion and build a great college app at the same time!

Last edited by intparent; 01/25/14 11:13 AM.
    Exactly-- and while my own DD ultimately opted not to apply to elite institutions, preferring to save the $$ and only apply (early round, anyway) to the truly sure thing with a few bells and whistles to make it a good fit, she had a similar resume.

State-level competition in multiple 4-H projects-- small animals, communications, natural resources and expressive arts/home ec-- including some state championships and robust showing at the state level otherwise. This isn't a completely done deal even now, and in her last year, it's possible that she will achieve national recognition in a couple of areas. Given that we live in a state with a VERY robust 4-H program, there is some serious competition.

Community service-- long-term investment in the SAME cause/organization is viewed much more positively than dilletentism. DD has about 1200 hours of community service in high school, but anything that she saw fit to mention to colleges she definitely had spent more than 50 hours annually upon. She didn't even mention the little stuff, because that too often looks like "I did this to check a box for community service."

One thing that others looking at her on paper continuously remarked upon was that there was more DEPTH to her resume than seems typical. That is, she was able to reveal surprises at each step, and that sets her apart from the automata that look more or less "perfect" on paper, but are about what sells well on paper, too, and nothing more. They are kids who are "looking to impress" and DD is a kid who IS impressive precisely because it's clear that she mostly is able to pick and choose exactly WHICH facets to showcase, leaving others to lie unexplored.

1. Her transcripts contain some obvious "I took this because I wanted to" electives that are quirky or seem relatively oblivious to the college selection machine-- and her transcripts AREN'T (quite) perfect.

2. Hobbies/activities that are not typical among cohort or age group somehow... so while riding horses might be common, competing in barrel racing? Not so much (varies regionally). Dog ownership/handling might be (relatively) common, but being a Dog Freestyler is not. Playing the piano? Common. Playing STRIDE and improvisational jazz? Not.

3. Essays that hint at meaningful life experiences not even hinted at in items 1 or 2.

4. Interviews that hint at life experiences, interests, and passions not even hinted at in items 1, 2, or 3.

In other words, those are things that seem to make a person seem more mature and real than any hot-house plant. smile

From what we've seen, colleges like this about the way cats like catnip-- some more than others, but this IS the secret sauce that all of them like.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM