Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #180164 01/21/14 05:01 PM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I thought of this after seeing the big head topic post.

For any newbies, I posted that DD9 was trying her hand at acting. We started this past summer, signing with an agent end of August. The agent only does principal roles because I did not want the time consuming theater.

There isn't a lot of auditions but on a couple that required "comedic chops" DD stood out. She has a callback for a sitcom this week.

I think that being gifted really lends itself to being funny. DH was extraordinarily witty. Observant, strong use of language and right to the point.

Isn't being funny, witty, a natural outcome of HG?

Wren #180169 01/21/14 05:33 PM
    22B Offline
    I think one skill comedians have is they can think very quickly, particularly if they are reacting on the spot to someone elses non-scripted remarks, e.g. Jon Stewart interviewing someone, and instantly coming up a hilarious response to an interviewees remarks. (I suppose some preparation is possible for the topic, but it is pretty spontaneous.)

Also, zany creative outside the box thinking is a mark of some comedians.

So at least some comedians and some intelligent people have in common being fast-thinking and/or creative.

On the other hand, I don't think it takes much intelligence for a stand-up comedian to deliver a prepared monologue of dirty jokes to a bunch of drunks.

Wren #180177 01/21/14 06:13 PM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Isn't being funny, witty, a natural outcome of HG?
    The gifted in my family are introverted. Tend not to talk unless they have something "profound" or important they want to say. Not really very witty. I think it depends on your strengths. Gifted children are not all alike.

That sounds exciting for your daughter. I hope it all goes well.

Wren #180179 01/21/14 06:29 PM
    M
    M
    The most PG (STEM) person I know in real life isn't witty at all. When he is drunk, he tries to be funny but more often than not, his attempts just end up making him look like a sexist jerk, which is sad because he is a genuinely nice and caring person.

My SO - a former prodigy for what it is worth - thinks he is witty but he too is more offensive than he is funny.

They both think something is wrong with my sense of humor.

Wren #180180 01/21/14 06:47 PM
    L
    L
    Wren, first off, congrats to your dd. The gifted adults in my family as well as dh's are super funny. They all employ keen observation, sarcasm, and word play. Many people find their humor offensive because it makes you face the naked truth. Kind of like Colbert's humor.

Wren #180183 01/21/14 07:21 PM
    U
    U
    I think you have to be pretty smart to be really funny, but you can be definitely be really smart and NOT be funny. Verbal intelligence is a big part of humor, and not every smart person is verbally quick.

Wren #180185 01/21/14 07:45 PM
    S
    S
    My ds13 is very introverted. But very smart and very smart alecky...just with me and a lot in his head. I was talking to one of his teachers and the other day he came out with a doosey of a smart ass zinger and the entire class stopped, turned towards him, stared with open mouthes and then cracked up. The class was not prepared for that to come from him.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I think you have to be pretty smart to be really funny, but you can be definitely be really smart and NOT be funny. Verbal intelligence is a big part of humor, and not every smart person is verbally quick.
    Most def!

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I think you have to be pretty smart to be really funny.

In your opinion, naturally, because really smart people generally prefer really smart humor. Any link between intelligence and humor dissolves once you remember that Martin Lawrence had an extremely successful comedy career.

Then again, I've attended Mensa gatherings, and what generally passed for humor there was lame puns... like the kind I didn't find very funny in the joke books I could check out from the school library in third grade. I groaned a lot.

Wren #180213 01/22/14 08:42 AM
    U
    U
    Point taken, Dude.

Also, I totally know what you mean about the Mensa-style humor. One of my relatives is really smart--skipped a grade, went to an Ivy and excelled, has a PhD, etc--but her humor is of that ilk, and just...not funny.

Wren #180214 01/22/14 09:16 AM
    C
    C
    Wren, good luck to your DD! Going on auditions can be a lot of time consuming work for the parents, but my DS13 loved the thrill of callbacks! He is extremely entertaining, hilarious really. So much so, that he often gets in trouble in class … Because of his humor, he has always exasperated teachers, but adult non-teachers and all ages of kids are instantly drawn to him. My older gifted son is the perfectionist, serious type who looks at his younger brother's humor as a complete nuisance and doesn't understand it at all. Go figure smile

Wren #180217 01/22/14 09:40 AM
    That's exciting news, Wren! My kiddo has inherited the family warped sense of humor, which not everyone appreciates. He is too quiet in public to stand out much for his humor, but in small groups of friends and families, he is pretty hilarious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM