Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    If you just want to dip your toe into Zome, I recommend ordering the Crazy Bubbles Kit ($14.95). If you want to dive in, I recommend the Naked (without a case)Creator Kit ($99.90). Of course, there are several options in between.

Also, you can download lesson plans from their site or you can order them and they will send you a hardcopy.

http://www.zometool.com/edu-teaching-lessonplans.html

Summer

Don't forget, the "naked" kits (without the case) are significantly cheaper! I always do that, and then sort them into three shoeboxes (by size, not color -- it's easy to pull out the right color, but not so easy to fish out a tiny little one in a pile of different sizes)

So you could get Explorer for $46.50 and spend all the rest on cool books wink

Erica
    OP Offline
    I wondered about the naked kits ... if I could develop an easy system of storing them. I'm an orderly person and like everything in it's place lol so I'm drawn to the case. But WOW that's a significant savings.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 06/16/08 05:01 PM.
    I use a little plastic tub and keep all the pieces grouped in their original plastic bags. This system has held up through the regular use of our Zome by over 40 different kids between my dd's school and our PG co-op.

OP Offline
    TexasSummer - that's GREAT to hear! I'll buy the naked kit!

E
    E
    Here's a resource that's free and open source:
    GeoGebra
    http://www.geogebra.org/cms/

There is a wiki where users connect: http://www.geogebra.org/en/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Lots of free standing demonstrations like those at Henrico County Schools: http://teachers.henrico.k12.va.us/math/GeoGebra_Site/index.html

Best of all teachers and students can download the program and tinker with their own explorations.

I also have some geometry math links on my wiki at: http://cesa5mathscience.wikispaces.com/2008

We're holding a geometry week this summer as part of a math science partnership grant.

RE: Zome storage- We have plastic cases that are made for small hardware items. The individual compartments can be configured in different ways with removable plastic walls. I also recommend buying naked Zome and the bargain bundles.

Lorel #18078 06/17/08 08:49 AM
    OP Offline
    Thanks Lorel. We use those plastic cases for sorting our LEGO MINDSTORM NXT pieces and they work great.

OK you all have convinced me lol to buy.

OP Offline
    Ok unless someone talks me out of it, I have the Naked Explorer kit and Bubbleology book in my shopping cart. I was going to get the Lesson Plans book but it looks like it is available in it's entirety online so I'll save that $20 for something else.

OP Offline
    phoooeey, finally placed my order and due to high demand, it will be weeks before it ships. We only have 8 weeks of summer so I hope it ships soon.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM