Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Old Dad #180144 01/21/14 03:01 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    Our boys are 19 months apart and because of the younger one's birthday just before the cut off, they should be 2 years apart in school, but from what we can see, there's a good chance they will both be going to college either at the same time or just a year apart. They are still too little to know what will happen in 12 or 13 years (being 5.5 & 3.10) but I just don't see how especially the younger one could go without skipping. So, if that's the case and we have them both in the same school, we might as well rent them an apartment / house or purchase a small property for them to stay in and save a TON of $ we'd otherwise need for room & board x 2.

I can think of a couple of reasons having my eldest DS a Soph. in college this year, from his perspective:

"Why would I want to live off campus? I don't even have to go outside to eat (dorm is connected to cafeteria via 2nd floor passage) I live no more than 2 blocks from any of my classes, the gym, the book store, or downtown, and my dorm has 9 floors of women....I'd want to give that up why? So I have to cook for myself, shop for food for myself, find parking places or walk to the school? No thanks, I'm juuuuust fine at the dorm."

I should note, after his Freshman year, we coughed up an additional about 1k a year so he could have his own room without sharing, completely worth every penny as few of those in his class and particularly his roommate were taking class schedules anywhere close to his in difficulty and weren't respecting his need to focus and sleep.

hmmm, I can see the aspect of convenience in this for many kids smile But I was thinking more about living off campus but very close to campus, pretty much within walking distance when possible so you get the benefits of both worlds.

But our boys, especially the older one, campus cafeteria will most likely be off limits due to his food allergies. Unless he'd want to snack on lettuce like a rabbit in which case there's still a chance of cross contamination! smile At least in our kids case the food allergy issue is another big reason why off campus housing would make more sense. My university also had off campus adult student housing ... small studios and apartments that were very affordable but were for more mature or married students. But you still had some of the on-campus fun atmosphere there too.

Wren #180145 01/21/14 03:03 PM
    M
    M
    Also ..."why would I want to live off campus ...?" ... well, because we are NOT going to pay the extra $5000 a year per kid that it would cost us for you to live on campus smile

Mk13 #180146 01/21/14 03:04 PM
    B
    B
    I actually wonder if the whole dorm atmosphere is one of the big reasons why so many Freshman struggle with adjusting to college?
    I think this depends on the personality of the student & the way the dorm is run. My daughter likes being in a dorm setting, but then she choose the all girls "quiet" hall this year. Having been on quite a few college tours in the past few years. Many schools are mostly building "suite" style dorms when they build new dorms rather than traditional style hall dorm. These work better for many students but are sometimes only offered returning students.

Many schools require most freshman to live on campus. And it can be a lot easier to make friends & get involved in campus activities when this is the case. I think there are a variety of reasons many students have trouble going away to college. And why a dorm situation may be a problem for some, I'm not sure many students are ready to take on paying rent, utilities, buying & cooking all their own food.

Plus Depending on the locations of the school dorms can be cheaper than living off campus. The cost of living on campus includes all utilities, usually cable & internet. Where my daughter goes to school this would be the case, particularly as she only needs housing for 9 months. And if you put 6 young adults in a tiny 3 bedroom apartment to cut costs, there can be even less space & privacy than in the dorm.

Mk13 #180147 01/21/14 03:15 PM
    B
    B
    Also ..."why would I want to live off campus ...?" ... well, because we are NOT going to pay the extra $5000 a year per kid that it would cost us for you to live on campus smile
    Why do you think it's cheaper to live OFF campus? Where my daughter goes to school apartments ARE VERY EXPENSIVE, plus she only lives there 9 months of the year so we would have to play 3 months she doesn't use. In addition they are utilities & internet to pay. This is even if you put the 2 students per room in an apartment.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/21/14 03:16 PM.
    Wren #180148 01/21/14 03:18 PM
    M
    M
    But who knows, maybe by the time my kids are college age, they'll be able to take all the classes they want at home on the computer (our whole family prefers computerized learning), be done in 2 years because they won't be limited by the time constraints of the traditional college calendar and things will look very different than they do now!

bluemagic #180149 01/21/14 03:24 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Why do you think it's cheaper to live OFF campus? Where my daughter goes to school apartments ARE VERY EXPENSIVE, plus she only lives there 9 months of the year so we would have to play 3 months she doesn't use. In addition they are utilities & internet to pay. This is even if you put the 2 students per room in an apartment.

Because we were looking at smaller town colleges where renting small units comes cheaper than on campus housing, especially when we would most likely have two boys in college at the same time. Plus, assuming they'd have a job while at school, I would think they'd stay there 12 months and not just 9 months if they want to still have their jobs when they come back, not to mention if they are taking summer classes, summer housing on campus is usually more expensive (or was when I was in college).
    But as I mention before, in our case there's a big issue with food (and other allergies) so living off campus would also be more practical and safer.
    Plus, depending on the location, we might consider purchasing a small property and instead of renting we'd be paying mortgage and keep the property as a rental once we wouldn't need it for our kids anymore. Wouldn't be the first parents doing it this way. At least we would see our money going towards something we would still benefit from.

Mk13 #180150 01/21/14 03:26 PM
    B
    B
    But our boys, especially the older one, campus cafeteria will most likely be off limits due to his food allergies. Unless he'd want to snack on lettuce like a rabbit in which case there's still a chance of cross contamination! smile At least in our kids case the food allergy issue is another big reason why off campus housing would make more sense.
    I don't know how complex/fatal his allergies are but many school cafeteria's are VERY aware of different allergy/diet requirements. Not all school cafeteria's are created equal, some do this better than others. Your son probably would be best preparing his own food, but some dorms provide special kitchens for these highly allergic kids. I wouldn't just discount school cafeterias by how they were in the past.

But as to your comment that it would save to put both boys together in apartment. You are right it might, but that depends on a lot of things aligning such as both boys wanting to attend the same university & apartment. As most students who live in apartments share anyway, I'm not sure how much it would really save.

Mk13 #180151 01/21/14 03:41 PM
    B
    B
    Because we were looking at smaller town colleges where renting small units comes cheaper than on campus housing, especially when we would most likely have two boys in college at the same time. Plus, assuming they'd have a job while at school, I would think they'd stay there 12 months and not just 9 months if they want to still have their jobs when they come back, not to mention if they are taking summer classes, summer housing on campus is usually more expensive (or was when I was in college).
    But as I mention before, in our case there's a big issue with food (and other allergies) so living off campus would also be more practical and safer.
    Plus, depending on the location, we might consider purchasing a small property and instead of renting we'd be paying mortgage and keep the property as a rental once we wouldn't need it for our kids anymore. Wouldn't be the first parents doing it this way. At least we would see our money going towards something we would still benefit from.
    You did say your boys are 3 & 5 right??? And you are looking at possible colleges for them now? How do you know a "smaller town college" will be right for them? They might not both get in to the same location. They might not want the same things. My son is a H.S. freshman, 14 almost 15 and he has NO idea what he wants to do or where he wants to go to school yet. And despite being gifted, isn't getting the best grades at the minute so who knows where he will get in. My older DD19 is at a small liberal arts school in a large city across the country. (I just sent her back yesterday) All I do know is my son won't end up where his sister is because it wouldn't fit his needs.

Slow down, while trying to plan for the cost of college is a great idea. I wouldn't hurry to decide that both kids will go to the same small college. Plus colleges may change drastically in the next 12 years. What is best for either child may be totally different from each other. One might need to go to college early, the other need a gap year or two. At 18 they will be adults, and while we as adults can say "this is what I will pay for" they don't always do what is expected.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/21/14 03:43 PM.
    Wren #180152 01/21/14 03:51 PM
    M
    M
    bluemagic - severe allergy to eggs, including airborne allergy ... there's just no avoiding the smell of scrambled eggs, pancakes and other eggy foods, especially on such a large scale.

But here's the simple math I am using just to give an example.

hypothetical university ...

1. On campus Room & Board for 9 months ... 2 kids x $8300 ($4200 housing, $4100 meal plan) = $16600
    2. On campus Room, own food for 9 months ... 2 kids x $6200 ($4200 housing, $1800 own food ... overestimated) = $12400
    3. University off campus housing 1 bedroom (enough for 2 kids) ... 1 x $8100 ($450 x 9 rent with utilities, $50 x 9 internet, $400 x 9 own food ... again, overestimated food expenses) = $8100

So, yes, there are places where you can definitely save living off campus when talking about 2 kids in the same school. I have mentioned before that for us it will be a matter of where they can get hopefully tuition free (with scholarships) and as little cost as possible ... $16600 vs. $8100 is a huge difference.

Wren #180154 01/21/14 03:54 PM
    M
    M
    btw, I am not saying they will or have to go to college. If one wants to be a trucker and the other one a cook, I'm fine with that, as long as it's what their heart desires. But they won't be able to go where they want ... they will need to go where they can afford it and if we as parents will have the means to help we will.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM