Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Melessa, one of our school pull-outs is like that too, exactly 2 kids per class, every class. I figured it out the year my DD was lucky enough to be grouped in her regular classroom with several very strong kids. My DD was one of the two pulled out, but the overall pullout had fewer near-peers than her classroom that year. It doesn't make any sense, except that it must be organized for convenience (I assume of the teachers?). When my son got to that point, I realized that I would much rather he have the peers in his regular class than in the handful of pullout classes in that particular area. (And that's what happened- he has a few good peers in class but was not chosen for the pullout despite being quite strong in that area).

E
    E
    I would be shocked if this wasn't the norm (unfortunately)...

Our current school does even tell you if your child is in the secret program!

I found out from another parent about the 'secret' math pull out when she asked how my son liked it. I was taken aback, but knew she didn't mean any harm (and I could see why she would have assumed he was in it based on some other achievements). I said, ummm, I don't think he has been invited into the program. She said no he is in it and working closely with her son. After school that day, my son confirmed he was going to a new special math class but forgot to mention it. He said it was better than regular class but not really anything new.

This year, year 2, working directly with his teacher I pushed for something extra. She arranged for the enrichment teacher (a close friend of hers) to take a few of the children out for some more challenging work. This only happened in my class (not the other year 2 classroom), I didn't want to make a big deal of it in fear of losing it! I know another parent in our class found out about it and advocated for her son to get involved, she was told no because overall he was not at the same level as the children. I know they were disappointed but the teacher assured them his needs were bet met in the classroom.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM