Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    N
    N
    Rainbow Loom is more of a hit for me, I believe. At least, I'm the only one making bracelets at the moment. I had to order a whole set of colors, as we started out with only the mixed bag and a bag of (creeper-color) green and a bag of pink. DD7 is interested in it, and she's made a couple of single-strand bracelets on her own with only a bit of help from me in getting it facing the right direction and such, but mostly they both want me to make things. I've made a ladybug one, and several rainbow starburst ones, and a 10-pin dragon-scale cuff for DS11. YouTube is a lifesaver! smile

KNex rollercoaster kit was a hit until we discovered we were missing some pieces, and now we're waiting for the replacements to arrive.

Minecraft creeper backpacks were a huge hit, as well as everything else Minecraft -- calendars, redstone nightlight, gold pickaxe and sword, etc.

Tablets for both DS11 and DD7 were expected to be a hit, and are being used, but not as much as expected. It doesn't help that the Furby Boom doesn't work with DD's tablet, so she's still hooked to my iPad for that, which also makes the highly-coveted Furby Boom less of an attraction. Sigh.

Spirograph is finally getting some attention from both, but not as big a hit as I wanted it to be. Of course, even I haven't had time to start playing with it, so maybe it will grow on them when I start demonstrating my mad skillz. laugh (Which I've undoubtedly forgotten over the years.)

U
    OP Offline
    U
    DD's Spirograph knockoff drove us all crazy. They don't make 'em like they used to.

DD already knew the basic Rainbow Loom concepts, but didn't have the loom. Now she does. The first try of a more complex pattern was...rocky (read: FAIL), but we completed one successfully using the video. She wants to do everything herself, except the especially tricky parts at the end.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Perplexus is still going strong here. DD9 is getting close to mastery. DS5 is not, but he's not doing too poorly, either. I'm doing the worst of anyone. wink I have no patience!

Another new game, Dutch Blitz, is showing strongly as well, but DS5 is challenged by his hand size and slower motor skills (not that he is motor-challenged--just younger and a bit less coordinated). He's so good at games now that it's surprising to see him finishing last.

The Duolingo and Stack the States apps on the iPad minis are a huge hit with DD9 and although DD8 hasn't gotten into the Duolingo as much, she is blazing through Stack the States. Those two apps have seriously taken over and they have not even touched Minecraft, which is unbelievable. All weekend DD9 begged for screen time so she could learn more Spanish and every once in a while I hear the two girls comparing how many states they now have or one asking the other one if she knows where Bunker Hill or something is at. I don't mind giving them extra screen time when they are so excited about something fun that is also educational.

I know there was at least one previous thread about apps. Guess I need to go back through some older threads so I can see what other apps everyone recommended.

They also got a rubber band loom of some sort and from the looks of the other posts on here, maybe we should try that out.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DD's Spirograph knockoff drove us all crazy. They don't make 'em like they used to.

The one I got is very much like the one I had as a kid, except that it's flimsier. I'm afraid someone is going to break the rings getting them out of the tray. Other than that, it has everything I had in the 1967 version, plus a couple of little doohickeys that I don't recall. It's the Spirograph Deluxe Kit, as opposed to the Spirograph Design Kit which looks similar but doesn't have anywhere near the amount of pieces. The one they were selling last year at Christmas was nothing like either of these and I didn't even bother trying it.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    She did not seem to much appreciate the spritz cookie press or the cookbook that I got her recently. I'm not sure when she plans to learn to cook, but it's clearly not in the present.

Funny! Which cookie press did you get for her? We had recent frustrations with the Wilton press.

M
    M
    I spoke too soon about the Goldilocks and the Three Bears dollhouse. DD has been playing with it non-stop all day yesterday and today. She has retold that story and many variations of it at least 30 times. Thank goodness she doesn't require an audience because that would drive me crazy. Well worth $30 we spent. We might get the other two sets soon (The Three Little Pigs village and Hansel and Gretel house) so she can have a fairy tale village.

Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    She did not seem to much appreciate the spritz cookie press or the cookbook that I got her recently. I'm not sure when she plans to learn to cook, but it's clearly not in the present.

Funny! Which cookie press did you get for her? We had recent frustrations with the Wilton press.

It's the NordicWare version-- entirely ABS, except for the piston components. Seems quite sturdy, and completely intuitive if you've ever used a caulking gun. grin

I used it Christmas day to make pumpkin spice spritz cookies-- it works great.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    DD11 loves her iPad - she's been downloading books and making lyric videos. DS9 is pretty happy with his Wii U, and hasn't taken off his new hoodie and slippers... cozy smile smile

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Thank you 1frugalmom for mentioning Duolingo. I downloaded that today and my DD and I are competing to learn Spanish, which she is starting in January. It's a great app.
    Our DD 12 loves her new ipad which she uses for school. They have electronic texts. We also bought a Livescribe pen to use with it. For someone who has trouble with handwriting and sometimes misses what is said in class we are hoping that will make a difference. She loves her Lego Haunted House too!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM