Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Hi! You're in the right place. It's a great forum!

Kriston
    CFK #17490 06/06/08 09:19 AM
    E
    E
    Welcome Steph smile This forum has been a sanity saver many times for me as well as providing alot of emotional and constructive support for our family.

Yes, welcome! I agree with elh - sanity saver that provides lots of support.

S
    Steph Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi & thanks, I'll be here a lot I think, especially once school starts & he transitions. Since it's a smaller school, I worry about him being accepted by kids that knew him last year as a K. He's pretty social though so hopefully he'll fit in.

To answer some questions - he was given the SB-V and WJIII. I can't tell even from researching if those were good options but that's what they gave him. He passes 145 on verbal, close but not there on math. 99.9 on all WJIII sections he was given. If anyone wants to shoot me an opinion on those, I'm happy to listen good/bad or otherwise. In some ways, it's been hard to believe the results because he just doesn't come across as HG, smart yes, but not to the level they are telling us.

His DSis are DD8-prior 1st grade teacher told me some test the class took scored her very high & some correlate to high IQ. She does not come across at all, loves art, daydreamed a lot at the beginning of 2nd grade, says math is "easy" but below average on timed add/sub tests that were always given. She is just born at a different speed, she moves, eats, everything slower unless she's running -then she's really fast! lol

DD14 is his half sis. She might be gifted, she could ask questions like nobody's business and still does sometimes. I used to tell her she'd reached her 100 question limit for the day. You can't answer that she doesn't have another ?, we nicknamed her Investigative Reporter. She did not stand out in elem but takes honors math and now that she's in higher levels, she makes straight As & finally very motivated. She'll be in honors English & Geometry next yr but refused Biology for Earth Science.

Sorry for writing so much but it's so nice to discuss the kids and get some feedback. One day I will hopefully be able to help some other poor new clueless parent.

Steph,
    It's so easy to compare out children to relatives and their friends - they don't look so different then. But with scores like that - you have an very gifted child.

Can you get DD8 tested also? I say "Test on, test them all" - I worry about schools teaching our sweet compliant ones to 'entertain themselves' by daydreaming. Believe me - speed of math facts is not correlated with IQ!

Anyway - you are welcome to visit any time!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Isa Offline
    Welcome !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM