Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Only if it's at the metaphysical mall.

Oh, snap to Milhouse when he buys Bart's soul!

This is the kind of stuff I like about this forum. laugh

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    ...that make life easier, better, or more pleasant, they are not necessities like an emergency room visit or food to eat.

We have also made it a priority-- in fact, DD has from toddlerhood made it HER priority-- to make life better for those in our community who lack any disposable income at all. Food insecurity is her favorite of those concerns, but she is also concerned with domestic violence. She puts her money where her mouth is there, donating HER OWN money, and working hard for that money. She knows that she is fortunate in the family to which she was born.

Your daughter understands real LIFE. Living in the moment and projecting oneself into another to feel THEIR LIFE. She is a treasure.

God Bless Your Daughter and Your Family, HowlerK.

I'm a Christian and believe where one's treasure lies, so lies one's soul.

Assuming one's needs are met: (shelter-not ostentatious; food-not extravagant; clothing-not show-off designer.)

All else is up to one's own own conscience.

If only most would seek the needy in their community, they would realize how shallow their own "needs" really are.

*How would YOU feel if your child(ren) didn't have warm socks for the frigid winter coming?
    *How would YOU feel if your child(ren) didn't have a Christmas Dinner?*
    *How would YOU feel if your children knew you are fighting with their extended family at Christmas Time...when "good will toward men is to reign?

Last edited by Ametrine; 12/21/13 03:43 PM.
    My husband and I are in the upper percentile for income nationally. We came from families that struggled during the 1970's...

My husband's parents grew their own food in the Silicon Valley area. They also helped those who came to them for water when it was scarce.

In the 1970's, my parents drew upon barrels of beans to feed my brother and me. I had bean soup at least three nights or more a week.

We SURVIVED and learned that person's value does not lie in their income, but in their family values. (Imagine that.)

My parents are independently wealthy today. My brother and I are debt-free including our homes. We know that VERY hard times are coming to America via the FED and their "easing" policies.

Beware those that will hear.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    ... seek the needy in their community...
    As parents of gifted kids we strive to make our children's needs known so these needs may be met. Therefore many of us may see the parallel to identifying/understanding others' needs so they may also be met.

Many make "in-kind" donations at Christmas. Within organizations there may be a flurry of volunteer activity to distribute donated food items and children's gifts for the week or so of Christmas and other holidays. (Sore muscles, anyone?) A month later donations are typically down, and the need is typically up.

To make a brief PSA, people may not realize there is often a shortage of storage space at many non-profits, charities, schools, hospitals, etc. Similar to our kids' academics, these entities benefit from an ongoing infusion.

To understand and meet needs, contacting an organization may be helpful. Some may post their requests or wish-lists on their website.

In general, crayon donations may be high,
    donations for children age 3-10 may be common,
    donations for infants to age 3 may be less common,
    donations for teens may be scarce.

Sometimes teens ask for a boxed activity: a teen-level art set, a knitting kit, science set, game, popular book, etc something to keep them mentally and physically occupied while learning something new: something which represents hope, self-improvement, betterment.

Kits, books, and items in even-sized stackable boxes may be easiest to store and transport (as well as to wrap, when that may be a consideration). Oversized or odd-shaped items may present storage, handling, and transporting difficulties.

ETA: Many organizations do not distribute donations of toys which depict violence in any way. This may include swords, guns, dart guns, some action figures, etc, including toys which may be popular at the moment (Halo, Thor).

Just a BTDT tidbit from an advocate for meeting needs. smile

Last edited by indigo; 12/21/13 05:16 PM. Reason: ETA: no toys depicting violence
    Originally Posted by indigo
    ... seek the needy in their community...

To make a brief PSA, people may not realize there is often a shortage of storage space at many non-profits, charities, schools, hospitals, etc. Similar to our kids' academics, these entities benefit from an ongoing infusion.

To understand and meet needs, contacting an organization may be helpful. Some may post their requests or wish-lists on their website.

In general, crayon donations may be high,
    donations for children age 3-10 may be common,
    donations for infants to age 3 may be less common,
    donations for teens may be scarce.

Y-E-S!

Thank you for highlighting the nuances of giving to those in need. You're so right.

A monthly devotion will make a world of difference to children. They know if someone is "caring" at Christmas, vs. caring every month of the year. (!!!)

A child KNOWS.

A
    A
    I love the spirit behind what you've written, Ametrine and indigo.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    I'm a Christian and believe where one's treasure lies, so lies one's soul.

Assuming one's needs are met: (shelter-not ostentatious; food-not extravagant; clothing-not show-off designer.)

All else is up to one's own own conscience.

If only most would seek the needy in their community, they would realize how shallow their own "needs" really are.

*How would YOU feel if your child(ren) didn't have warm socks for the frigid winter coming?
    I would not like it and have planned my life accordingly. Given that there is already a very progressive tax code in the U.S., and that much federal and state spending goes to entitlements and transfer programs, to what extent is a wealthy person morally obliged to donate his after-tax income? Does he do more good by investing or donating? Earnings depend on the value one creates for others, so helping one's children prepare for high-earning careers is a "socially conscious" form of child-rearing.

I don't want my children to be "materialistic", but that statement is almost tautologous. Very few people consider themselves materialistic or believe they live in a "McMansion". It is easier to identify the garish consumption of others.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Earnings depend on the value one creates for others, so helping one's children prepare for high-earning careers is a "socially conscious" form of child-rearing.

Well, personally, I think that many people who work
    for relatively low salaries (e.g. about average or less) create a lot of value for others. Examples include firefighters, ambulance personnel, any number of jobs at non-profits, and so on. These people create very high value for others. Good teachers of the same seniority at the same schools earn what bad teachers earn. So there is definitely some disparity in the value-creation:salary ratio there. People who plant food and pick it earn next to nothing, yet how would you eat without their efforts?

Alternatively, you'll have to work very hard to convince me that the guys at Enron created "value for others," unless you define "others" as "my friends in the next offices." Ditto for the bankers who wrought havoc on the world economy. On a more mundane scale, I spent a couple years earning a lot of money writing drivel and managing writers of drivel for a company that was creating software that sells virtual currency to kids. Everyone there was highly paid, and there was ZERO value for others being created. Actually, now that I think about it, that particular field is a negative producer in the value-to-others category.

So your argument is flawed.

U
    U
    Hear, hear, Val.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM