Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I have on occasion donated to one of the two main political parties in the U.S., and I think the surveys it sends are laughably biased, even though I generally agree with the policies of the party. I assume the other party does the same thing.

I wouldn't make that assumption. Although in some ways the US political parties are more alike than not (center-right versus far right, for instance), one of the sharpest differences is in their exhibited degrees of sociopathy.

Dude #176439 12/04/13 09:53 AM
    Organizations who make their living off of data from public opinion polls do good work - e.g., Gallup, Roper etc. Campaign surveys, interest group surveys, media organization surveys which come from these survey professionals who operate under the standards and social science norms established and supported by AAPOR are trustworthy. However, as Dude notes, not all organizations and political operatives do this. The good news is that it never lasts long because they get "outed" for doing it. The robo call or bad survey ends up in the press and they are embarrassed. It can still influence people though. Tends to happen less in lobbying settings because if you as an interest group give bad data to a politician or bureaucrat who then trumpets it and gets called out, the interest group will have damaged the relationship.

All that being said, most small institutions, like schools, think they can write surveys because they are unaware of how easy it is to write bad questions. There are so many ways, often inadvertent, which bias responses.

For the ipad original question - there are stock survey questions that can be found online which would allow more appropriate answers - plus there is also the fill in the blank question. Textbooks often highlight these types of bad questions with the classic - how often do you beat your dog - it does not allow the respondent to say you do not do it or have ever done it - particularly if a 0 answer is not provided

DeHe

Living in Iowa (first in the nation caucus) and being registered independent, I get a LOT of telephone polls both early and often. I have learned to appreciate an honest poll versus a stacked one. Though I do enjoy seeing how few questions it takes before I can figure out which party (and sometimes which candidate) has sponsored the poll.

-S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    #176718 12/07/13 05:26 PM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by kcab
    re the gaming - DS spent all yesterday's science class playing on a game that the teacher had loaded onto the iPads & was hoping to do the same again today. Apparently this is the teacher's method for keeping kids who are done occupied. Drives me nuts - couldn't they be doing *something* worthwhile? I'd rather he was sent to the library to find a science-related book to read, or did his math homework, or really anything at all other than playing yet another computer game. (And, I'm sorry, but Spore Origins is *not* educational enough to be worth the school time, IMHO.)
    This is not new to ipads but common with new technology. When my kids were in early elementary this is how the classroom computers were used. When kids were finished with their work, they could play "edutainment" games. The problem I see is that teachers don't really know how to USE this technology.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/07/13 05:27 PM.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Originally Posted by kcab
    re the gaming - DS spent all yesterday's science class playing on a game that the teacher had loaded onto the iPads & was hoping to do the same again today. Apparently this is the teacher's method for keeping kids who are done occupied. Drives me nuts - couldn't they be doing *something* worthwhile? I'd rather he was sent to the library to find a science-related book to read, or did his math homework, or really anything at all other than playing yet another computer game. (And, I'm sorry, but Spore Origins is *not* educational enough to be worth the school time, IMHO.)
    This is not new to ipads but common with new technology. When my kids were in early elementary this is how the classroom computers were used. When kids were finished with their work, they could play "edutainment" games. The problem I see is that teachers don't really know how to USE this technology.

Hmmm, letting the early finishers play games seems like a quite effective way to "close the achievement gap".

P
    P
    Yes but I think it is marginally better than another 60 examples exactly the same as the ones already done. I could never understand why I couldn't go to school for a couple of hours, do the work and then go home.

Last edited by puffin; 12/07/13 11:43 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM