Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    So happy for you and your daughter. Thanks for sharing a success story.

A
    A
    Congratulations to you and your daughter. Success stories are so hard to come by, savor yours!

S
    S
    You can congratulate yourself -- and your daughter! -- for an excellent job well done smile

A
    A
    That's SENSATIONAL news, Pemberly!!!!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Apparently the app that helped the most is one that allowed her to take a picture of the math worksheets and write the answers on the iPad rather than using a pencil and paper. No stylus just her finger. The best I can guess is she became comfortable forming the shapes of the numbers without the pain in her hand. I don't have her school iPad here so I can't check for specific apps - sorry. I know there was a song she learned that totally unlocked the problems she was having with money. They use a lot of manipulative for math but let her do what works for her - no insisting she use a certain technique or method. Mostly the pressure was utterly and completely removed from her. This is a kid who loves to learn. I mean really, truly loves it. Learning, and now creating PowerPoints on topics of interest, is play for her. I really think the biggest difference is she has been given the room, flexibility and opportunity to do this. In the process the decoding skills have improved a lot. There continues to be major issues with encoding but word prediction and dictation software should help with that. She is also getting lots and lots of OT along with a ton of 1:1 instruction.

Yes she has tried the built in dictation on the iPad and it doesn't work for her. From what I understand it is not intended for use with children below middle school age and it just can't read her voice. They could not even get a baseline to start the training program for her. Then you add in her speech impediments (s/sh/th, r/w, certain vowels, etc) and it didn't even have 50% accuracy. We have a friend with contacts inside Nuance, the makers of Dragon, who made it her mission to get DD functioning dictation software. Long story short DH spoke with one of the software developers who the spoke with the AT consultant and there is a plan in place to get a program up and running for her. It will require developing and training an individualized speech program. Everyone is on board and we have a meeting scheduled next week to see about getting it going. According to the programmer from Nuance they should be able to get a functioning program for anyone but it will need to be done on a desktop - the program for iPads and other mobile devices won't work for her. He told DH they even got it working for a client without a tongue so there is no reason it shouldn't eventually work for DD. I would love if whatever they figure out for DD can get generalized out to help more LD kids. I'm all too certain that there are a lot of dysgraphic kids who could benefit. Just look at this board to see a number of examples...

Great news - enjoy basking in the glow of it smile

Become what you are
    Wonderful news! Thank you for sharing. Must be such a relief for you and your DD that someone finally gets it.

M
    M
    Pemberley, your updates actually gave me a sense of hope so thank you for sharing them.

Originally Posted by Pemberley
    I would love if whatever they figure out for DD can get generalized out to help more LD kids. I'm all too certain that there are a lot of dysgraphic kids who could benefit.

*love*

P
    OP Offline
    P
    OK so I checked with DD and have a bit more info on the apps she's using.

The app that let's her use her finger to write is called Notability. I really can't believe how much her letter formation has improved. Really, really amazing. She is also using an app called Spelling City for spelling. She basically learns the spelling words through games like Hangman. It can also speak to her so she can repeat the word as many times as she needs or have it used in a sentence. She takes her spelling test right on the iPad and it will repeat the words as many times as she needs it repeated. They also have a program loaded that allows her to highlight text and the machine reads it aloud to her so she can do any kind of research she wants. As she types word prediction software pops up with the most commonly used words which is a good work around for the encoding difficulties. They have also color coded her keyboard - one color per row - which helps her visually track the letters. I think the idea is that it cuts down on the visual noise of trying to decipher 30+ keys to find the one she's looking for.

Oh and she came home today all excited because tomorrow they are having an all school assembly and she has been asked to present her "just for fun" pilgrim PowerPoint to the whole school! Her new favorite topic is ancient Egypt so tonight she started a new "just for fun" PowerPoint. How awesome is that?

M
    M
    This is so heartening to read. I am so happy for you!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM