Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    DS8 uses a really large pencil grip, for the minimal writing that he does. The crossover didn't work for him, but the jumbo grip helps with his finger position and comfort. We tried the smaller versions and they didn't help him. I think their size made it easy for him to put his fingers around them, rather than on them. He snaps the lead of any mechanical pencil I've tried, so we stick to regular pencils.

M
    M
    My DD writes with a jumbo grip on a fine weight mechanical pencil. When we first started this she was destroying a couple of pencils a week, now they last at least a month... And her handwriting is like a different child.

P
    P
    blackcat, I think the grip etc is all going to be very child-dependent. My kids tried several grips, but for my non-dysgraphic kids, their preference has always been mechanical pencils, and that really did help my older dd use a proper grip. My dysgraphic ds liked the short tripod-shaped pencils and pens, but what worked best was simply moving him to keyboarding. He did develop an almost "normal" pencil grip when he worked with his OT, and once he had the "normal" pencil grip he no longer liked using add-on grips or special-shaped pens/pencils etc.

polarbear

M
    M
    Ds6 has hated all pencil grips, but I think because he can't figure them out. (I can't help him, because he is left handed.) Yet, a larger writing instrument helps. Dictation really helps:)

H
    H
    My ds has poor hand writing. He is in K and teacher has commented on this. Some days his letter are neat, somedays they are huge. He actually does better without the school lines and being reminded to write small and neatly.

I think his grip is ok - any ideas I can implement to help. When we get his handwriting up to speed - look out! He has already started wanting to use the old laptop and type words. His definitely going to prefer typing!

Ps - I am very hyper mobile, but don't remeber my writing as a child. I play guitar and play my chords in modified ways. Some chords I can not play as my joints are too mobile to hold form. Anyone have advice here?

H
    H
    Sorry for the typos smile!

M
    M
    Hnz hypermobility is dominant hereditary, it's worth getting him checked. My DD mentioned above is physically incapable of normal pencil grip without the Jumbo Grip and is not expected to ever have "normal" hands. We've dramatically improved her writing but she'll need to keyboard young and exam provisions

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I told the teacher that I wanted to do a trial of no grip in his class. Apparently DS got upset and begged for his grip and she gave him back his Crossover. I just can't see how that could possibly be helpful, since I tried it and writing was very awkward. His handwriting actually looks neater without it.
    I found a Jumbo Grip in a junk drawer and am having him use it here at home. I don't know if it's helping his writing but he seems to like it. So I will send that one into school and buy another one for at home.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM