Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    Here's an interesting news video i found about ADHD and finger tapping. It doesn't talk about speed, but talks about the fact that with ADHD kids, the fingers on the opposite hand move as well (esp in boys). I wasn't looking for this when I asked my two to try it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/mirror-movements-reflect-adhd-kids/story?id=12919887

Wow, is this for real? My DS8, that many would love to call ADHD officially (and I go back and forth all the time as to whether he or is not), did this finger tapping exercise and had NO mirror movement at all. I looked in his OT records and the same test was given to him during his OT eval last year and it is noted that there were no associated mirror movements. So interesting!

Oh boy, my youngest (age 4) did indeed have the mirror movements! But he seems very, very non-adhd (has the executive functioning skills of a 30 year old)!

ETA: oh, I just realized they said all kids under 5 or so will have the involuntary mirror movements - so I guess it's just his age!

Last edited by Irena; 11/16/13 07:40 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I asked my DD to do this a couple days ago and she had no mirror movements either, even though she is clearly ADHD. I asked her at about 10 pm at night when she did not have much in the way of medication in her system. However she is a girl and they talked about it being an issue mainly with boys.

I will ask DS and see what happens with his delayed motor skills--he is more like a 4 year old than 6 year old.

Her pediatrician gave me a referral to take her for an OT assessment.

I
    I
    My son definitely had a few issues with it - he was slower at it, tended to have to look when he did it (although when asked he could do it not looking), tended to miss a finger... However, no mirror movement at all - even when he struggled with the sequence.

Yes, they did say often adhd girls do not show the mirror movement but that almost all of the adhd boys do.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM