Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I don't usually read this forum, but your title caught me.

I've learned from the responses that my gut telling me NOT to get a dog was correct. smile My son's stuffed "friend" keeps him sufficiently distracted.

DS, (6.8) has to be reminded of things that he has had on his morning schedule for a couple of years now. I thought he would be nearly independent by now, but obviously he's not; when I have to explain how to put his socks on.

We set out his backpack with all work, etc. inside at the door the night before. I set out his outfit the night before. My husband makes his lunch and breakfast in the morning. All DS needs to do is get up (takes 15 minutes with our prodding), go to the toilet, get dressed, do his morning chores (make bed, feed cat, empty trash cans) and eat. Some mornings we find him just sort of standing in his room talking with his "friend" and messing with a new invention. Oh, and he will also pull out a magazine and read in the bathroom while using the toilet. (I blame DH for this one.)

I second what another said about having too much time in the morning. I've recently noticed that even though hubby and I rise three hours before take-off, and DS two hours before, we run into the, "I've got extra time, so I'm going to make a diorama of the universe!" argument.

Just this morning I told DS that getting ready in the morning is a lot like jump rope. You have to time your entrance and exit precisely in order to make it.

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just wanted to update that this morning went A LOT BETTER! We made our lists last night, and they checked everything off before bed... and then this morning they started on their lists when they got up. I only had to prod DS9 twice, so not bad at all! My daughter, of course, treated it as a race so she could taunt her brother when she was ready, lol.

~amy
    H
    H
    Nice! Nothing like healthy competition to take it up a notch. smile

E
    E
    Great news, epoh! From experience, I can tell you that it won't be as good in a few days when the newness has worn off. But just push through reminding them to check their lists (instead of reminding them of what they have to do) for a couple of weeks, and it will start being better every day.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by epoh
    I just wanted to update that this morning went A LOT BETTER! We made our lists last night, and they checked everything off before bed... and then this morning they started on their lists when they got up. I only had to prod DS9 twice, so not bad at all! My daughter, of course, treated it as a race so she could taunt her brother when she was ready, lol.
    Great update! Happy for you all!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs