Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    B
    If you are looking for adult level chess books, we have many of those. My husbands chess books sit right above this computer. Most are fairly old since my husband doesn't spend a lot of time following chess anymore. Most of these are collections of famous games by grandmasters. This is one of the ways good chess players practice, is playing through other famous games. My husband would usually pull out a chess board when going over these games. I would imagine most these are probably a bit too dry for most kids, but if he is obsessed. A sample of book titles are "Opening Gambits", "How to play the Sicilian Defense", "World Champion at the Third Atempt" and "Chess Combinations as a Fine Art".

U
    OP Offline
    U
    He isn't ready for adult books yet unless it's more of an "advanced beginner" book. Actually, I did get "Chess for Dummies" out of the library for him and he has been reading it some.He's sort of in a weird spot in that his chess play is a bit more advanced than the kinds of books he can easily comprehend, I think. The reading level of some of the stuff we find tends to be a little high for him (..."but then, Black sabotages the white queen with a sudden kamikaze attack..."--that kind of thing). Also, he does not love following algebraic notation, though he CAN. I guess he just needs to practice.

I found this the other day and he has been doing some of the courses:

http://www.chess.com/blog/webmaster/free-chess-mentor-courses

They're good, though he has a bit of the reading level issue again. There are these, too:

http://www.chesskid.com/articles?page=1

but I think he actually prefers the chess.com ones.

P
    P
    It makes me so annoyed. I have had Fritz and Chesster teach chess in my Amazon basket for weeks. I finally have the money to put my order through and that is the one item in my cart that cannot be shipped to NZ. It would cost me three times as much to buy the first disc from the Sydney chess academy as it would to get all three from amazon. Does anyone know another option?

G
    G
    I believe the first F&C is available as a download, perhaps even from Amazon. Can you check that?

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I'm curious if others have had a decent experiences playing live on Chesskid.com. It seems like most of the time DS gets matched with a player approximately in his ability range (vs. way above), the other player either plays for a while and abandons, or constantly and annoyingly pesters for a draw. DS is rarely able to actually win due to this. Or he can hardly start a game because every player aborts due to a rating mismatch (I admit, he does this too, but only when it's wildly out of synch). He can play through to losses to players rated 150-200 points or more above him, but that's a little hard as a persistent habit. The app also crashes and is buggy a lot. Is it just us?

G
    G
    My son plays only on chess.com because the time control on chesskid is too short. He is learning to take his time and think through moves, and the chesskid games are just too short. There are many more players on chess.com as well, so he has a greater chance of being well paired.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Yes, the 15 min time control is a total drag. I just assumed he would be outrageously outmatched on chess.com and waste everyone's time.

B
    B
    Some American children are now getting lessons on Skype with less expensive foreign teachers:

Chess in cyber space: a smart move?
    By Gillian Tett
    Financial Times
    July 25, 2014

At my daughter’s chess tournament, for example, I listened to other proud parents explain that their would-be chess prodigies are being tutored by chess masters to improve their game. No surprise there – New York is a wildly competitive place. But these teachers are not sitting in Manhattan or even in America. These days parents are tapping the most brilliant chess brains in places such as India, Bulgaria or Moscow, to deliver online tutorials for their offspring via Skype. “It’s cheaper to get a tutor that way and you can get a real master,” one father proudly explained.
    I've seen articles about children getting tutored academically on Skype.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I wanted to update this thread as well to say that Chesskid no longer allows players to abort games without a ratings penalty. This has vastly improved the site experience for my son. We have now purchased a Gold membership and feel the site's many other resources (especially instructional videos) are really worth it for kids who may not have funds or time for much formal coaching. My son's game has improved from time on Chesskid this summer. (I sound like a plant, but I promise I'm not!)

S
    S
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I wanted to update this thread as well to say that Chesskid no longer allows players to abort games without a ratings penalty. This has vastly improved the site experience for my son. We have now purchased a Gold membership and feel the site's many other resources (especially instructional vidoes) are really worth it for kids who may not have funds or time for much formal coaching. My son's game has improved from time on Chesskid this summer. (I sound like a plant, but I promise I'm not!)

That's great that Chesskid no longer allows players to abort games. My DS(x2) were put off by other players abandoning games.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM