Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    H
    Hils Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    ok- for all of you with 2E experience, here are subtest scores. Full report included notes on dysgraphia (but further testing needed for diagnosis... we only did WISC-IV) The take on inattentive/ ADHD-like behavior history was inconclusive. The Dr. didn't think his testing behavior really raised flags- but my DS said later.... "were all those interesting things in the office a test? I tried really hard to focus." Once again- he is easily distracted but has enough desire to please adults that he tries REALLY hard to control his distraction. He is always reading, very verbal, always "perched" on a chair or standing when he is doing things that require him to stay in one place. Really struggles with memorizing math facts- but yet could rattle off tons of abscure dinosaur names or fold you some beautiful origami from memory. We have always "thought" mild ADHD because of his high energy, impulsivness, and trouble staying on task with "non-prefered" activities. However, if medication is the last thing on our list of possible interventions (he is an amazing swimmer and we wouldn't want that to impact his future growth in any way), then will digging deeper to evaluate ADHD have a positive yield?

Here are the subtest-
    Sim: 17
    Voc:17
    Com: 16
    Block: 17
    Picture: 13
    Matrix: 16
    Digit: 9
    Letter: 9
    Arith: 11
    Coding: 7
    Symbol: 11

B
    B
    I don't think there are any permanent effects to growth with ADHD stimulants, if that is your main concern. That being said, DD was around 75th percentile for height before she started meds and now 1.5 years later she is 50th. The difference in her when she is medicated vs. unmedicated is amazing. I can tell immediately if she has not had her meds. The other day the teacher called around lunch time and asked if DD had been medicated. Turns out she hadn't had her pill, although she had her patch (the patch takes a few hours to kick in). The teacher was able to tell that she was probably not medicated properly. I don't think her behavior was "bad", she was just incredibly slow (slower than usual) and made tons of mistakes with math calculations.
    With meds, you can always give it a try (if you do actually get an ADHD diagnosis), and if you give it a chance, try the various doses (you always start on the lowest and go up) and they do not seem to help very much and it's not worth the risk to you, you can discontinue.

I am taking my DS in for a computerized ADHD test in a couple days. It looks at the kids' responses, how slow they are, how quickly they lose attention, how impulsive, etc. and compares them to other kids the same age. With DD we just filled out inventories with the pediatrician which I thought was grossly inadequate. But it's obvious she has ADHD whereas with DS it is more questionable.
    BTW, DD's ADHD was missed in kindergarten when she was grade accelerated. Even the school psych who tested her didn't seem to think it was an issue. And she's pretty severe. Even after we moved her up a grade, it took the teacher about 4 months to finally admit that what she was seeing were ADHD red flags.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM