Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you everyone. smile

We were pregnant together, our boys are similar ages and she has always been awesomely supportive - especially while Aiden was struggling just before coming out of school.

I now need to accept her decision to feel like this and move on.

Thank you all again!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    I am so sorry. I have found jealousy is often at the root of these problems. I wish you the best.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    ... she has always been awesomely supportive - especially while Aiden was struggling just before coming out of school... I now need to accept her decision to feel like this and move on.
    While it is disappointing that a friend who has been supportive through struggles may have an incredulous reaction to your son's sudden growth by leaps and bounds, and express that this may be the result of hothousing or that you may be bragging... you may wish to keep this in perspective and emphasize the areas in which your friendship may still be strong and mutually supportive.

Some friends are great for celebrating successes with and want nothing to do with a person when they are struggling... others may be empathetic to struggles but out of their comfort zone when they see a sudden change toward success (they may wonder whether their friend will still be able to relate to their struggles). While painful, how we navigate the difficulties in relationships may provide a role model for our children, and in the resiliency of their own friendships.

I may have the unique view in this subject on this board at this time, but I might suggest finding an article which best explains what you are experiencing with your child and which may also address the gap in your friend's current understanding. One possible article may be something like this one which discusses the difference between child-led learning and hothousing... ? A friendly note, thanking your long-time friend for her concern and sharing an article which may explain what you could not find words for, may help ease understanding.

Many parents have had the experience of learning what food their child currently liked (it may be bananas one week, peanut butter for a month, then sweet potatoes...), then purchased an ample supply on sale, just in time for their child to turn up their nose at their formerly favorite food as their taste buds developed a fondness for something else. Our kiddos can be the same way about immersing themselves in particular interests... just when the "needed" library book is available, or the kit is delivered, or the puzzle is back in stock, or the museum exhibit opens... kiddo may disdainfully report that they have no interest. I've become aware of more than one parent overjoyed/relieved to be finally able to present kiddo with the thing that kiddo talked about wanting non-stop for weeks... only to see their kiddo complaining as though the parent was pushing (reflective only of the fact that the child's interest in that area had suddenly plummeted)!

Not only is it difficult for parents of gifted kids to "keep up" with their kids' rapid growth, but as the child's interests change rapidly, children may seem to "betray" the parents by complaining about resources which arrive "out of season", once a child's interests have changed. Point being: other parents, teachers, children may all hear a child's statements out of context and wrongly presume that the parent was pushing depth or breadth of study in an area. It takes grace and strength to stay in a conversation long enough to understand why another parent, teacher, child may believe a kiddo is being hothoused/pushed... and more grace and strength to understand why kiddo complained upon receiving that-which-they-could-not-live-without-last-week... and more grace and strength to gently help kiddo understand realistic timing and also the impact of their words upon others.

Another common scenario is for parents, excited following a breakthrough, to talk about nothing else... thereby showing little concern for their friends' current interests, challenges, and life events.

Often, there is pain and bewilderment on both sides of a misunderstanding, and in thinking long-term it is often mutually beneficial to invest in keeping as many relationships as possible.

Just my 2 cents.

A
    A
    I am so sorry that you are going through this. When people find it hard to keep up with their gifted child for whatever reason or if their child tends to be less gifted or advanced than yours and the contrast is glaring or obvious (as in atheletics, verbal ability etc) then envy and jealousy gets thrown into the adult relationships and accusations of "hothousing" crop up as a way of making the accuser feel better about themselves.
    In my case, I grin and nod like an idiot when relatives or friends with gifted kids cross question me. And I change the topic to focus on their kids. And I sometimes use humor to answer back when pinned to a spot - like "My son is as smart or as dull as I am because of the genetics he got from me!". I only interact with these parents about mundane things like eating habits, school timings, sleeping habits etc and am very careful not to "leak" information about my child's advancement in academics or extra curriculars because I do not want to be subject to gossip or envy and I do not want my child to overhear other people talking about us trying to hothouse him at any point. I never, ever share his IQ testing information or his accomplishments.
    I share all the successes and milestones with a few friends IRL who have extremely gifted children themselves and who are happy to share knowledge and resources with me and also guide me.
    I suggest that you drop telling your friend intimate details of your child's progress and also keep your friendship limited to grown up topics. Gently steer your friend away when she wants to know about your child's successes or your efforts towards it. Make her understand that you value her friendship but do not want to discuss your child in depth any more.
    Good luck.

Last edited by ashley; 10/29/13 12:10 PM.
    D
    D
    ugh... this is so tough, especially when it's a friendship where you had previously felt so safe. sending you some serious good vibes, Madoosa...

you've had some great advice already, and this is just one more strategy from an experience i'm unfortunately still having with my oldest friend... you could consider taking a small, not-very-noticeable break from the relationship.

when the crisis came with my friend, i felt like the ground had suddenly opened up between us and i had no idea how to repair it. it was amazingly exhausting to be taking the high road all the time, so i quietly began to operate on strictly superficial territory with my friend. it wasn't too obvious, i simply became slightly less available - both physically and emotionally. at first it felt uncomfortably disingenuous but i am certain that if i'd immediately addressed the problems head-on, the relationship would not have survived.

i don't have the answer, but now (months later) it is beginning to feel like we are walking along the edges of our chasm in parallel - and if we can go far enough, it is possible that we'll find a bridge a little further along.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    G
    G
    This is such a difficult situation and I'm sorry you're going through it. I think it unfortunately parallels what gifted children go through as well, as they lose friends who pull away because of their differences.

I always found it particularly upsetting when I felt I was perceived as somehow being less sensitive to children who struggle academically just because of advocating for improved gifted services. I came across a great article yesterday, suggesting that it is the American way to resist acknowledging exceptional abilities: http://educationnext.org/america-and-its-high-potential-kids/#comment-121378.

I hope you and your friend can work this out and that she can put it in perspective.

Gail Post/ www.giftedchallenges.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by Alex011 - 05/26/24 06:03 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools