Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #16965 05/28/08 04:10 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My DD (almost 4) is usually the most cooperative and well-behaved child at her preschool/daycare.

Today she kept getting in trouble and was even sent to the office (usually reserved for really bad verbal/physical behavior). I wasn't able to get the details but knowing DD it was probably verbal bad behavior that landed her in so much trouble.

When my older DS5 was about 4 year 3 months old the same behavior started while with the same teacher at the same preschool/daycare. He was an angel at school and then one day just stopped listening and stopped caring about being good. We even had a communication book that my husband and I and the teachers wrote in daily to keep track of the behavior. They were unwilling to see that he was advanced or give him more challenging work--100% play based. My son was so bored. They told him he wasn't allowed to read to the other children. Discouraged him from doing real math. Eventually things got better once we had DS tested, discovered he was PG and moved him to a Montessori school.

I guess the only good news with this is that DD is already scheduled to attend older brother's Montessori school in the fall when there is an opening. I don't think I could deal with what we went through with my son again. I always thought DD was probably going to be like her brother--her art is absolutely amazing. I just figured we wouldn't have the same issues since she is a real people pleaser.

Crisc
    I hope she gets into the Montessori school in the Fall!!!! Fingers crossed....

I can't believe he wasn't allowed to read to the other children!

Ugh. Just ugh.

You seem like you are handling it well. As hard as it is, maybe the BTDT helps a bit?

Anyway, how are you feeling?

Kriston
    Weird! when is the school year over? Can you have lots of day trips?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    The idea that a child shouldn't read to other children is sort of ridiculous, isn't it? I can't imagine how frustrating this must be, especially since it sounds like history repeating itself.

Good luck, I hope you have a wonderful summer and in the fall she can enjoy a more nurturing school environment!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations