Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    We're gearing up for our first middle school 504 meeting for my DS in 6th grade. I'm hoping for advice from parents who have middle and high school kids with dyslexia/ dysgraphia. I don't know what accommodations I should be asking for and I wonder if you'd share what you've done.

As background, he could barely read when he was diagnosed in 2nd grade (even though the school kept telling me he was fine). Both of his siblings (PG) could read at age 3 and my dd who was 3 at the time was a better reader than him-- literally. We started 3xweek tutoring right away, and did that for 3 years. Now, he's in 6th grade and he's an advanced reader. His writing is proficient and closing in on advanced and he's getting A's in both of those classes. We really never thought we'd see the day. We're so excited for him that he seems to be maturing and coming into his own.

So-- does he still need all the accommodations he's had in the past? They were: additional time to read assignments, fewer spelling words, assignments graded on content instead of spelling, minimal note taking, assistance in breaking up writing assignments, allowed to keyboard writing assignments or use alternative forms to show mastery when appropriate.

At our end-of -year 504 meeting last year in elementary school, the school psychologist said she would contact the middle school to see which of those accommodations were necessary. Somehow the new 504 only has "allowed to keyboard," but I was told this week that my son has to self-advocate in order to get that accommodation. (He will never ask to do keyboard if it will make him different than the rest of the class.)

My question is-- what does a middle school student really need? The person in charge of 504s says in middle school, the 504s are designed to make kids more responsible for advocating for themselves. Is that true? I see it as a good goal, but... how is that written?

His actual handwriting is not legible to me and has about 3 spelling errors per sentence, so I would like him to keyboard and use spell-check.

Even though his reading is advanced, he's a slow reader, so I think he needs additional reading time or be allowed to use books on tape as he gets older as must read longer books at home.

What do other dyslexic kids get in their 504s in middle school?

S
    OP Offline
    S
    MON, thanks for your list and input. It's very helpful.

thanks!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM