Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Val #172251 10/21/13 05:21 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by indigo
    This is my concern for undocumented immigrants.
    ...I'd be interested in knowing your source of information...
    My eyes, ears, and heart provide the sources of concern for outbreaks among undocumented individuals. It is interpersonal. I did not need statistical data to have human empathy and concern. Local PSAs on TV may have been of some influence in raising my awareness.

Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by indigo
    We also have things like DTaP as an alternative to DTP (a vaccine which resulted in some claims).
    No, we don't. DTP isn't an alternative to DTaP; it's an old vaccine for the same diseases (licensed 1949). It hasn't been used in the United States since 1991. The risk of neurological problems due to the old vaccine was 1:140,000 ---
    I did not mention DTP as an alternative for DTaP. Rather I stated DTaP is the alternative. You reversed it in your post. To expound upon my original sentence, in the event clarity may be needed: We now have an alternative between DTP and no vaccine: it is DTaP. We agree that DTP resulted in some claims. While you posted that DTP was not administered since 1991, I have different information indicating DTaP was administered only on request and DTP continued to be administered as the default.

Originally Posted by Val
    you're doing a great job of demonstrating how people argue/make decisions based on misinformation. This is bordering on being enough for a case study. smile
    I have acknowledged concern for people in their suffering... including vaccine-claimant families, undocumented immigrants upon being ill. There is no misinformation, decision, or argument in my posts. I have tried to convey an open-minded respect for individuals' varied experiences.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    articles
    In summary, the OP's linked articles suggested higher IQ correlated with better health, possibly with a patient's independent personal research and advocacy having a causal relationship or being one determining factor. Meanwhile several posters have cited cases where they believe higher education may lead to more risk-taking... whether through hubris/arrogance, plethora of material of questionable value which people may encounter when researching, or relying more on personal anecdotes than peer-reviewed published research.

Health/medicine is a fascinating field with new scientific and behavioral studies and observations ongoing. What research indicates one year may be set aside at a later date. Except for hand washing... that was proven to provide health benefits over a century ago... wikipedia link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis smile

M
    M
    Let me just point out how terrifying it is to be here:

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    So while I can say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it is NOT a good feeling to be in the 1% of patients with an unusual presentation of some unusual condition... and to get the feeling over and over and over again that you know more about current research and best practices than the physician(s) that you're dealing with.

BTDT, got the teeshirt. It's a scary thing.

While also known this to be true:

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Also, most of us-- and by 'us' I mean both the population at large and also us here-- simply aren't equipped to be "experts" at whatever we turn out attention toward. Only those with dangerous arrogance actually believe that they are.

Bostonian #172272 10/21/13 08:10 PM
    Yes it is.

My rule of thumb for dealing with that is:

1. Believe in the factual reality of what you yourself observe, but don't be too quick to assign causation, no matter what you THINK is happening-- truly eliminate all possibilities before making conclusions, or don't make them at all. A question mark isn't the end of the world, usually.

2. Don't believe anything that is single-sourced. If all roads lead back to ONE source, no matter how 'expert' then it is suspect in my mind. Search out dissent and pay attention to what it says.

Honestly, I don't know what happens to someone in my shoes who hasn't got decades of relevant professional experience in order to tease apart stuff that SEEMS like it should be legitimate from that which probably isn't. That bothers me a lot, in fact, and it's why I've put so much of myself into running a support group for nearly a decade. Having a place that you can ask any question-- and dissect it openly and even a little harshly-- is essential, I've found.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Bostonian #172306 10/22/13 04:13 AM
    C
    C
    ^ +1

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM