Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 335 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Val #172189 10/21/13 12:39 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Val
    ... I'll take the one-in-more-than-a-million risk... smile
    I appreciate your PSA. The odds are in favor of most people getting vaccines. If I understand correctly, vaccines are required for workers in the fields of health care and medicine.

ColinsMum #172190 10/21/13 12:42 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    I just want to drop into this two good reasons for people making choices that don't look "good" to other people, as a warning against smugness:

1) RCTs are a very blunt instrument. What you're interested in is the (Bayesian) probability of a given action having a given outcome for you, given everything you know about yourself - not the frequentist probability of it having that outcome for a randomly selected member of a group you're in.

2) The crude outcome usually measured is not the only aspect of the outcome of interest to you; you're interested in all aspects of the outcome, including your anticipated regret, which is tied up with your own situation and psychology and not well second-guessed by others. For example, given a treatment that reduces the chance of death by not much, but increases its uncertainty and, if it fails, has the prospect of reducing the quality of life in the last months, do you take it? The choice is so personal and contingent that probably few of us know what our own answer would be, never mind what someone else's should be.
    Well said.

indigo #172196 10/21/13 01:06 PM
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by Val
    ... I'll take the one-in-more-than-a-million risk... smile
    I appreciate your PSA. The odds are in favor of most people getting vaccines. If I understand correctly, vaccines are required for workers in the fields of health care and medicine.

This is primarily to benefit those in their care who have allergies or compromised immune systems that preclude them from getting vaccinated themselves. These individuals can still be protected through "herd immunity."

One predictable outcome of significant pockets of society opting out of vaccination: outbreaks.

Dude #172204 10/21/13 01:20 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    This is primarily to benefit those in their care who have allergies or compromised immune systems that preclude them from getting vaccinated themselves. These individuals can still be protected through "herd immunity."

One predictable outcome of significant pockets of society opting out of vaccination: outbreaks.

Yes, this is one of the things that's very damaging about the "personal choice" crowd and vaccines. Most choose to ignore the fact that their personal choices can make other people, like babies, cancer patients, and people with allergies, sick or very sick.

Val #172215 10/21/13 01:55 PM
    I
    I
    significant pockets of society opting out of vaccination: outbreaks.
    This is my concern for undocumented immigrants.

Originally Posted by Val
    ...the "personal choice" crowd and vaccines.... their personal choices can make other people, like babies, cancer patients, and people with allergies, sick or very sick.
    We also have things like DTaP as an alternative to DTP (a vaccine which resulted in some claims). There may be a fine balance between accommodating individual liberties and the needs of society as a whole. This is one reason we have both the practice of individual health care, and also the CDC and field of public health.

While washing hands does not prevent all diseases, it may be something we can all agree on. smile

indigo #172217 10/21/13 02:08 PM
    While washing hands does not prevent all diseases, it may be something we can all agree on. smile

Not even close.

Dude #172222 10/21/13 02:23 PM
    I
    I
    link to article - hand washing habits
    Thank you for sharing; I was blissfully unaware.
    Has hand washing been correlated to IQ or other factors?
    If I sing/hum happy birthday twice to time my hand washing, must I pay royalties?

indigo #172229 10/21/13 02:45 PM
    Val Offline
    This is my concern for undocumented immigrants.

An example: according to the CA Dep't of Health, (see article in LA Times), whoooping cough/pertussis isn't a problem in Mexico, our largest source of undocumented immigrants (they do a good job of vaccinating there). So this one, at least, is a white-folks disease. This makes perfect sense, because upper-middle class college-educated US Caucasians are a major demographic questioning vaccination.

My information was easy to find and was from a reliable source. I'd be interested in knowing your source of information about undocumented residents.

Your point gets back to the demographic outlined above and other points about education: some people think they're finding reliable information, but they aren't, and they allow themselves to be fooled. I'm not claiming that every information source I've ever used is perfect, but I will say that my information about vaccination comes from reputable sources.

We also have things like DTaP as an alternative to DTP (a vaccine which resulted in some claims).

No, we don't. DTP isn't an alternative to DTaP; it's an old vaccine for the same diseases (licensed 1949). It hasn't been used in the United States since 1991. The risk of neurological problems due to the old vaccine was 1:140,000 --- staggeringly low compared to what happens if you get tetanus (50,000 or more annual deaths worldwide before the vaccine was widespread) or diptheria (13,000-15,000 annual US deaths in the 1920s out of 100K-200K annual cases or 7.5-15% of cases ended in death. Most cases were children. The first vaccine was licensed in 1924).

Indigo, you're doing a great job of demonstrating how people argue/make decisions based on misinformation. This is bordering on being enough for a case study. smile

Last edited by Val; 10/21/13 02:46 PM.
    Val #172230 10/21/13 02:47 PM
    Originally Posted by Val

Yes, this is one of the things that's very damaging about the "personal choice" crowd and vaccines. Most choose to ignore the fact that their personal choices can make other people, like babies, cancer patients, and people with allergies, sick or very sick.

This is where I jump right to:

nodding and (in a horrified tone of voice) asking if they know what Prodromal Syndrome is like... OMG.... It's DEADLY. I had no idea until I researched this.

wink That way you're turning that impulse in a more productive direction, at least. Because the number ONE argument that I see people make against vaccinating (on philosophical grounds) is that they'll just quarantine themselves if they're sick. NO harm done, right? (er-- yeah, not so much, actually)

There are places within my own state where exemption rates are as high as 30%+ in some elementary schools. One of them is in a college town. {shudder} Yup. Measles outbreak just waiting to happen, pretty much.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Bostonian #172235 10/21/13 03:05 PM
    M
    M
    Hello everyone - just a reminder to please be respectful in this thread, and please keep it on topic.

Mark

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...