Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Kai and Irena...I am also confused. I was told these are also symptoms of dyslexia b/c the child has to strain to read and understand. Irena...what treatment/intervention did the dr recommend for convergence insufficiency?

Geofizz...would also love to hear what remediation you did.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by mykids
    Kai and Irena...I am also confused. I was told these are also symptoms of dyslexia b/c the child has to strain to read and understand. Irena...what treatment/intervention did the dr recommend for convergence insufficiency?

Geofizz...would also love to hear what remediation you did.

Mykids, he did and is doing vision therapy. I paid for it privately last year (actually my insurance covered it but I had to pay a $40 co-pay each visit. It took me all last year to get the school to agree to provide VT so this year he is getting VT paid for by the school.

The VT has helped a great deal. I STILL have plenty of days where I suspect dyslexia even though it's been "ruled out" by more than one psychologist.

Actually, the place where DS got vision therapy last year screened him for dyslexia and based on the screening they recommended he be formally tested for it (VT helps vision but not dyslexia and they made that very clear). But no one I take him to seems to think he has dyslexia. It's complicated b/c he does have the convergence issues AND dysgraphia AND is gifted AND is reading about a year above grade level. I am often frightened that he has stealth dyslexia (if only the Eides could evaluate him!) The position of last neurpsych I took him to was that he has visual processing issues as a result of his convergence issues and not dyslexia.

I'd love to just get him some really good dyslexia remediation, just in case (it can't hurt I am told even NT kids benefit from being taught reading the way they remediate dyslexia!) but it has to be on a high level (b/c he reads so well) and finding a true Wilson certified is proving difficult and expensive.

G
    G
    DD did 200 minutes a week (40 min/day) Orton Gillingham at school on an IEP for 4.5 months at the start of 5th grade. Her phonological skills went from kindergarten level to 100% accuracy on all tests, and her spelling improved by something like 4 grade levels, from a bit below grade level to well above. A combination of tutoring and push -in services for writing brought her well up as well, but she still has IEP goals on writing.

G
    G
    Irena, I just wanted to chime in that my son, recently diagnosed with dyslexia, is finishing up some intensive work at Lindamood Bell. It is very expensive, but I do see some real improvement. Specifically, he used to look at longer words and merely guess based on first and last letters. Now, I hear him sounding things out. I was very impressed with the Lindamood Bell center near us. They really got my son, including the giftedness. He isn't the typical kid who goes there, because he is actually performing above grade level. I was worried that they wouldn't meet him where he was, and that would be frustrating for him. But they got it, and started working right where he needed. They also moved very quickly through their material. So at this point, I feel that Lindamood Bell was a good fit for us, even though of course it was very expensive.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by gabalyn
    He isn't the typical kid who goes there, because he is actually performing above grade level. I was worried that they wouldn't meet him where he was, and that would be frustrating for him.

This is exactly one of my concerns.

Originally Posted by gabalyn
    They really got my son, including the giftedness. He isn't the typical kid who goes there, because he is actually performing above grade level. I was worried that they wouldn't meet him where he was, and that would be frustrating for him. But they got it, and started working right where he needed.

This is very good to know... especially since we are in the same area and it is very likely the location we would use! I looked in to there (just on the website) - very good to hear this kind-of review! Thanks!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    DD did 200 minutes a week (40 min/day) Orton Gillingham at school on an IEP for 4.5 months at the start of 5th grade. Her phonological skills went from kindergarten level to 100% accuracy on all tests, and her spelling improved by something like 4 grade levels, from a bit below grade level to well above. A combination of tutoring and push -in services for writing brought her well up as well, but she still has IEP goals on writing.

Thanks. I actually have a friend who does Orton Gillingham tutoring but she is a bit far from us in Jersey. It would be a trek to do twice a week.

M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Did you do the full day intensive at LB? I have been thinking about going to LB but my concern is missing that many weeks of school.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM